Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    June 2013 Q8, here is the paper; http://qualifications.pearson.com/co...e_20130621.pdf page 24 of the pdf

and my working;

Name:  june2013.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  77.8 KB

what is the significance of the  \displaystyle  \sin\theta = 0 and  \displaystyle \sin\theta = -\sqrt\frac{2}{3} ?

do they tell you anything about the plot or do you just neglect them by realising the angle required is roughly equal to  \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}

(kind of like how in mechanics projectiles when using  \displaystyle s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2 to find t you sometimes get the minus t value which you usually ignore)

ReputationRep:
    dont think it has any real significance in this case, other than that the curve also meets the half line at the origin
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    do they tell you anything about the plot or do you just neglect them by realising the angle required is roughly equal to  \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4}
    Although it's not obvious from the diagram, \sin \theta =  0 gives a point where the tangent is parallel to the initial line, but it's actually the origin. We discard it as the requirement is P is distinct from O.

The other value of theta will also give rise to a line parallel to the initial line, but it's outside the domain of the definition of C, so we can again discard it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drandy76)
    dont think it has any real significance in this case, other than that the curve also meets the half line at the origin
    PRSOM

(Original post by ghostwalker)
    Although it's not obvious from the diagram, \sin \theta =  0 gives a point where the tangent is parallel to the initial line, but it's actually the origin. We discard it as the requirement is P is distinct from O.

The other value of theta will also give rise to a line parallel to the initial line, but it's outside the domain of the definition of C, so we can again discard it.
    i've never realised that the tangent was parallel to initial line at the origin ever, i always thought it was a mysterious recurring solution which we ignored "just because" and i never understood why :laugh:, but this all makes complete sense now

thank you both

ReputationRep:
    If  r \rightarrow 0 as  \theta \rightarrow a then  \theta = a is a tangent to the curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    If  r \rightarrow 0 as  \theta \rightarrow a then  \theta = a is a tangent to the curve.
    is this what is happening at the origin?

if i was to zoom in really close...

Name:  fpr.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  28.4 KB

would  \displaystyle \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} be a solution to  \displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta} with that same reasoning

ReputationRep:
    is this what is happening at the origin?

if i was to zoom in really close...

Name:  fpr.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  28.4 KB

would  \displaystyle \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} be a solution to  \displaystyle \frac{dx}{d\theta} with that same reasoning
    yeah, comes up a lot in OCR as a precursor to finding area bound by the curve, since the tangents at the origin can be taken as the limits

ReputationRep:
    yeah, comes up a lot in OCR as a precursor to finding area bound by the curve, since the tangents at the origin can be taken as the limits
    exactly yea you're right, i always know to take limits from 0 to pi/2, so i guess it follows that tangents exist at 0 and pi/2
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you know when you sometimes feel like you shouldn't be doing further maths.. yeaa now is one of those times

ReputationRep:
    exactly yea you're right, i always know to take limits from 0 to pi/2, so i guess it follows that tangents exist at 0 and pi/2
    Spoiler:
    Show
    you know when you sometimes feel like you shouldn't be doing further maths.. yeaa now is one of those times
    Dw about it just probs not covered in your syllabus, for instance I never know what's going on when people mention conics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dw about it just probs not covered in your syllabus, for instance I never know what's going on when people mention conics
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    yea i guess, i know it now and that's the main thing thanks again :cute:

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :zomg:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.