Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a current civil service, if I register myself as a civil service on civil service jobs website by providing my line manager email address, do i get more jobs to apply for?

Also I only use civil service jobs website to apply for civil service jobs are there any others?

ReputationRep:
    If you create a "existing civil servant" account using your work email you will have access to all internal Civil Service roles. A lot of them require your line manager's permission before you are allowed to apply though, this will be specified in the vacancy.

All Civil Service (internal or external) should be advertised there under Civil Service recruitment rules. However, some departments don't advertise there and on their own websites instead, MI5 being an example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1001)
    I am a current civil service, if I register myself as a civil service on civil service jobs website by providing my line manager email address, do i get more jobs to apply for?

Also I only use civil service jobs website to apply for civil service jobs are there any others?
    As above - yes you'll be able to see all the within-civil servcie and within-your-department roles. Your line manager will have to click a link to say you're a civil servant.

There are some departments that don't advertise on there (e.g. I know Welsh Government sometimes have vacancies only on their own jobs portal). So if you have a certain department in mind it may be worth double checking on their website that they don't have a separate way of recruiting

ReputationRep:
    Hey, how did you get into civil service? I'm not sure what to do after college so advice will help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star80)
    Hey, how did you get into civil service? I'm not sure what to do after college so advice will help.
    I know it sounds a bit simplistic, but I just applied for jobs on the Civil Service website: www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk.

The application process always involves "competencies", which is where you have to give an example of where you have displayed a particular behaviour (for example "making effective decisions" or "leading and communicating"), first in the application form and then in an interview. If you follow the guidance on the website and write your competencies in the right way it isn't overly difficult in my opinion. Some jobs may also require you to complete verbal or numerical reasoning tests.

There are all kind of jobs at various levels, including apprenticeships, graduate schemes and jobs requiring specific experience. The jobs also cover all kinds of categories, which reflects the variety of work done in government. I'd suggest just browsing the website and seeing if anything interests you.

I hope that helps but let me know if you have any specific questions or feel free to drop me a private message.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.