Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi allI'm a graduate working in finance and am applying to graduate medicine this October. I am considering sitting the two written A2 chemistry exams (not the practical) to help me be eligible for Cambridge (as my original A levels are too old). If anyone else has done this, where did you manage to sit the exams privately? And how did you study? What exam board would you recommend? Does it matter?Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    Hi I self studied A2 chem. I did edexcel because my AS was obviously Edexcel. In terms of finding a centre to study at, I googled colleges and sixth forms in my local area and checked to see if they took on external candidates on their website. If it didn't say I gave them a call and asked. Once I had found a few places I chose 1 based on the cost and distance to where I live.

In terms of the actual studying. I started by taking notes from the textbook and learning the content like that. I would then supplement my learning by watching videos on YouTube about the topics (I'm mainly a visual/audio learner) but most of my time was spent doing exam questions. I did all of the past papers and papers from other exam boards too since the topics tend to overlap. If you use other exam boards papers make sure you know which topics overlap and which you don't need to do. Also remember the rules of your exam board.

More than happy to answer any questions you have

Best of luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.