Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you had £150,000 to invest? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Let's say you have £150,000 that you want to use to make more money. What would you do/invest in?

ReputationRep:
    He that wants money, means, and content is without three good friends.

ReputationRep:
    leverage it up and buy property... until I make a few million.

ReputationRep:
    150k = property
    250k = nice spread on stocks

you could diversify it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sheikhspeare 🎭)
    He that wants money, means, and content is without three good friends.
    Wiseth words my companion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axlerod)
    Let's say you have £150,000 that you want to use to make more money. What would you do/invest in?
    Buy a flat of a house.

ReputationRep:
    Pay off a chunk of the mortgage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Pay off a chunk of the mortgage.
    that mortgage still troubling you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    that mortgage still troubling you?
    For the next decade I suspect.

ReputationRep:
    Sunderland to win the Tyne-wear derby

ReputationRep:
    give small loans

ReputationRep:
    S&P 500.

I wouldn't invest it, I'd just spend it all on whatever I could.

ReputationRep:
    To spend it all on the most significant woman in my love, and a chair to sit beside her to make sure her needs were kept, and whims sated.

The first woman I have ever loved.

Spoiler:
    Show
    (Mummy)

ReputationRep:
    pour it into my business and high some high end stuff so if i buy the six lots i am looking at for £150,000 (ok five the sixth one is my current love in wrist form a white gold/leather annual calendar complications patek philippe) but allowing for the £135,000 i'd invest i'd make say 60% of price estimates (allowing for a quick trade turnover) i'd actually after 30% deducted for for tax i'd make £26,000 for 2 hours of research, 4 weeks of waiting, 10 minutes on the phone and a 2 hour return train trip and reinvest that in profit in two lots to make a profit of £29,000 after cost ar take out for the same process so id make £150,000 in to a beautiful patek philippe and a profit of £29,000 in a less than three months
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    About £60k would purchase a property via my parents Right To Buy. If i were to put off renovation (loft conversion, good quality conservatory, new bathroom and kitchen) then the other £90k would largely go into equities.

After 10 years my parents would transfer the property ownership to me, i'd not be at the behest of having to sell back to the council and i'd have a property worth £110k+.before any renovation.

ReputationRep:
    Buy run down property cheaply, renovate it and turn profit from it. I'd put some into savings too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    Sunderland to win the Tyne-wear derby
    Good shout that

ReputationRep:
    i'd put 75% into stocks, 15% into bonds and 10% into a high-interest savings account.

Of the money that I will invest in stocks, I'd put 35% into large cap blend mutual funds, 25% into mid cap funds, 15% into riskier small cap funds, 15% into emerging markets' companies (maybe Flipkart or some other tech companies) and 10% into something interesting (property funds perhaps). I'd stay away from emerging market bonds for the short term due to the slowdown and excessive borrowing from China.

If I had more money, I would invest more into properties myself instead of investing in a property fund.

ReputationRep:
    rare Queen Elizabeth II stamps. In a few years they will shoot up in value when... you know :cry2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.