(Original post by anonwinner)
    Which courses are ABB at LSE?
    Meant AAB. Sociology, environment etc several

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BarryBeTrippin)
    Gods! Are you serious! Size of Math etc departments at Warwick are larger, more students, bigger finance society, so more efficient for firms to visit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's pretty much the reason why firms have targets in the first place. They're capitalising on looking through/advertising to a high density of top (or perceived as top) talent, it's much easier to wade through top notch students than to find the needle in the hay stack at a non-target.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are still very competitive in terms % of applicants receiving offers.

Humanities degrees at Oxford are all AAA, and UCL has several AAB and even ABB degrees.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People who do those subjects and who get ABB don't usually apply to IB anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    That's pretty much the reason why firms have targets in the first place. They're capitalising on looking through/advertising to a high density of top (or perceived as top) talent, it's much easier to wade through top notch students than to find the needle in the hay stack at a non-target.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Point I'm making is that Warwick does not compare to ucl, Oxbridge imperial. And bath. Though their size and reasonably academic cohort make them prime for recruiters as it were.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Point I'm making is that Warwick does not compare to ucl, Oxbridge imperial. And bath. Though their size and reasonably academic cohort make them prime for recruiters as it were.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why are you clinging onto UCL? Do you go there? UCL has ABB courses (LSE doesn't), and lots of AAB courses.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, so Warwick Maths, Econ and Business all don't compare? First time I've heard that.. UCL and Warwick have a broadly similar intake of students across the 'academic' subjects - with Maths being grouped with Oxbridge/Imperial instead of UCL.

For the subjects Warwick are good at, it beats Bath hands down; don't know where the opposite assertion is coming from.

It's pretty much always been as follows for 'academic ability':
    Oxbridge
    LSE/Imperial
    UCL/Warwick

The actual numbers breaking in are skewed towards LSE/Warwick as they've become de facto 'breeding grounds' as of late.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Overall statistical chance is like 25-50:1 or about 2-4%.I'd say about 1000 FO summer analysts are hired per year. Assuming that 40-45% of that intake is from Europe/other top global unis. You're left with 550-600 British uni FO summer analysts. Breaking this down with the standard 70-80% (lets use 75%) being from target unis, you have: 413-450. There are 6 targets, splitting it evenly it's roughly ~70-75 per year per target.
    Any numbers on only 40-45% being from Europe? My understanding was it is higher but I may be completely wrong on this.

Gods! Are you serious! Size of Math etc departments at Warwick are larger, more students, bigger finance society, so more efficient for firms to visit.
    Therefore making it a target.

Argue the case for Bath all you want, come September to November this year Warwick will be targeted to a much greater extent by the banks / buyside firms, and that is what ultimately matters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kiltennel)
    Any numbers on only 40-45% being from Europe? My understanding was it is higher but I may be completely wrong on this.
    I'd be interested in hearing your numbers actually. I'm going off of limited exposure to SA classes at Barc, GS and MS.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested in hearing your numbers actually. I'm going off of limited exposure to SA classes at Barc, GS and MS.
    I'd say your numbers will be more accurate than mine by the sounds of it. My numbers are based on anecdotal evidence (pan-nationality ACs), friend's descriptions of their SA classes, and what I was told by bankers. Told by several BB bankers that they have a quite limited number of spots for UK&I candidates due to a general lack of second language capabilities vs those from the continent.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd say your numbers will be more accurate than mine by the sounds of it. My numbers are based on anecdotal evidence (pan-nationality ACs), friend's descriptions of their SA classes, and what I was told by bankers. Told by several BB bankers that they have a quite limited number of spots for UK&I candidates due to a general lack of second language capabilities vs those from the continent.
    Interesting. What would your guesstimate be in that respect? Your data seems more varied than mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. What would your guesstimate be in that respect? Your data seems more varied than mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it could be around 60%, potentially up to 70% region for the European banks. The second language skills are very helpful and continental candidates are often at MSc level rather than undergrad, leading them to come across as more polished (What I was told by a Director from DB).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I think it could be around 60%, potentially up to 70% region for the European banks. The second language skills are very helpful and continental candidates are often at MSc level rather than undergrad, leading them to come across as more polished (What I was told by a Director from DB).
    60-70% Brits or 60-70% Europeans?

That's a good point! I've noticed that the Europeans tended to have more work experience and prior internships than Brits.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    60-70% Brits or 60-70% Europeans?

That's a good point! I've noticed that the Europeans tended to have more work experience and prior internships than Brits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    60-70% Europeans.

That was his point exactly and I've heard others air similar views. By the time euro students in the likes of Bocconi / SSE / ESCP etc where 2 year masters are offered, they're in their 4th or potentially 5th year of university and their 1st year of a top masters. Many will have 1-2 respectable internships under their belt along with a stronger education by that point in time. Some top 1 year masters are now including an internship rather than just a thesis / research project for the summer term (HEC for example) which makes it more competitive again due to steering applicants towards summer rather than full time applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Work experience
    Work experience
    Work experience
    Work experience
    Work experience
    Work experience
    Work experience....,
    If you are not going to contribute anything relevant to the title of the thread then go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    If you are not going to contribute anything relevant to the title of the thread then go.
    Ok, let's implement some common sense here...there are a small group of 'target unis' that you may find yourself studying at if lucky. If you don't make it to Oxbridge, then there is a larger group that would be perfectly acceptable to FO HR if accompanied by work experience. This could actually give you an advantage.

Now, if you really needed that explaining to you I'm not sure the FO* is for you.

*oh yeah I have extensive FO experience.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, let's implement some common sense here...there are a small group of 'target unis' that you may find yourself studying at if lucky. If you don't make it to Oxbridge, then there is a larger group that would be perfectly acceptable to FO HR if accompanied by work experience. This could actually give you an advantage.

Now, if you really needed that explaining to you I'm not sure the FO* is for you.

*oh yeah I have extensive FO experience.
    Yeah but my question was literally just the proportion of students at target universities that get summer internships in FO at banks. I never asked what I needed to do to get an internship- I know that I need to go to a target uni, get work experience and good extra curricular activities- I'm not new to the world of IB. I was merely stating that your answer of "work experience" doesn't answer the question of what proportion of students make it into FO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yeah but my question was literally just the proportion of students at target universities that get summer internships in FO at banks. I never asked what I needed to do to get an internship- I know that I need to go to a target uni, get work experience and good extra curricular activities- I'm not new to the world of IB. I was merely stating that your answer of "work experience" doesn't answer the question of what proportion of students make it into FO.
    Ok, but I want you to know that it's a stat that has little meaning isolated, and that you shouldn't feel discouraged If you are not at a target uni or have not done things the exact way the stats suggest that you do it to win a FO role.

ReputationRep:
    Cross out Warwick, then you're fine. Plus LSE data is skewed because of econ/econ joint honours courses. There are ABB courses at LSE.

So really only 4 targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    TIM WESTWOOD VOICE: YOUR TROLL GAME IS WEAK BRUV.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, but I want you to know that it's a stat that has little meaning isolated, and that you shouldn't feel discouraged If you are not at a target uni or have not done things the exact way the stats suggest that you do it to win a FO role.
    Ok thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.