Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone else thought about this? watch

ReputationRep:
    Many TSR users know and talk to other TSR users on a regular basis, building a sort of anonymous friendship. In all the university application forums, people congratulate each other when they get into the same university.

Often, these people know each other very well on TSR but would never have known the person in real life. Then, when they go to the same university, they would probably stay in separate cliques and since universities are so big, they will probably never even talk to each other in real life even though they are in such close proximity to one another, yet they will remain great friends with this person on TSR. Even if they do know the other guy, they are unlikely to talk to them about TSR and would probably never know that the guy they are friends with on TSR is also the guy they are friends with in real life. In a way, we would know two different people- one real person and one online persona- who are really the same person.

Unless you ask many people at your uni "are you that guy on tsr?" to find that friend, you may never know that mystery guy at your uni that you are best friends with on this site but will rub shoulders with them every day.

ReputationRep:
    In essence, if you see someone on tsr who is going to go to the same uni as you and you are friends with them on TSR, you may never actually know who that is in real life but you do know that someone at that uni who you never talk to in real life is your best friend online. to me, that seems pretty weird/creepy/mysterious.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thought, I'm sure that has happened on occasion.

But I find most of the time people you become genuine and long term friends with online, you allow them into your life/ see other parts of yourself and other social media sites so they would surely recognise you in person.

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be pretty cool of people I'm friends with on here went to my Uni, none of them do though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Interesting thought, I'm sure that has happened on occasion.

But I find most of the time people you become genuine and long term friends with online, you allow them into your life/ see other parts of yourself and other social media sites so they would surely recognise you in person.
    Yeah but usually people on tsr never become that close on other social networks and they usially prefer to keep themselves anonymous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yeah but usually people on tsr never become that close on other social networks and they usially prefer to keep themselves anonymous.
    That's not been my experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I think it'd be pretty cool of people I'm friends with on here went to my Uni, none of them do though
    But wouldn't you find it mysterious if there is one person out of the 1000 people in your year that you're best friends with on tsr but may have never actually talked to at uni? It's like the plot for Pretty Little Liars- the girls know that A is someone at their school and they know everyone at their school but don't know which one of them is A.

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't want to meet 95% of the people on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I probably wouldn't want to meet 95% of the people on TSR.
    Lol

ReputationRep:
    But wouldn't you find it mysterious if there is one person out of the 1000 people in your year that you're best friends with on tsr but may have never actually talked to at uni? It's like the plot for Pretty Little Liars- the girls know that A is someone at their school and they know everyone at their school but don't know which one of them is A.
    I guess, but if I became friends with someone on here to the pint we were I regular contact and I knew it would take us about 10 minutes or meet up, I'd have done it by now

2 people in my flat are on TSR and have no idea who they or me are on it :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Nice thought I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That's not been my experience.
    Yeah but you're one of the tiny minority of TSR users who aren't completely anonymous- you have your photo as your avatar and your name in your username. Its different for someone who has more anonymity and who doesn't really take their TSR friendships into the real world or other social networks (probably 90% of users are like this).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but you're one of the tiny minority of TSR users who aren't completely anonymous- you have your photo as your avatar and your name in your username. Its different for someone who has more anonymity and who doesn't really take their TSR friendships into the real world or other social networks (probably 90% of users are like this).
    Fair point.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Well I guess it happens

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    2 people in my flat are on TSR and have no idea who they or me are on it :rofl:
    Lol that is weird... it's like having two lives which never meet
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Many TSR users know and talk to other TSR users on a regular basis, building a sort of anonymous friendship. In all the university application forums, people congratulate each other when they get into the same university.

Often, these people know each other very well on TSR but would never have known the person in real life. Then, when they go to the same university, they would probably stay in separate cliques and since universities are so big, they will probably never even talk to each other in real life even though they are in such close proximity to one another, yet they will remain great friends with this person on TSR. Even if they do know the other guy, they are unlikely to talk to them about TSR and would probably never know that the guy they are friends with on TSR is also the guy they are friends with in real life. In a way, we would know two different people- one real person and one online persona- who are really the same person.

Unless you ask many people at your uni "are you that guy on tsr?" to find that friend, you may never know that mystery guy at your uni that you are best friends with on this site but will rub shoulders with them every day.
    Lol, when I was at the RBS insight day the people there sussed who I was from TSR immediately.

It's an interesting thought experiment but I've made some pretty strong connections via TSR, whom, I've also met up with irl. I think people who bond over this site over common interests generally do escalate things into the real world (hell, there have been TSR meet ups and marriages) and so, I don't think the frame of this 'problem' is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol, when I was at the RBS insight day the people there sussed who I was from TSR immediately.

It's an interesting thought experiment but I've made some pretty strong connections via TSR, whom, I've also met up with irl. I think people who bond over this site over common interests generally do escalate things into the real world (hell, there have been TSR meet ups and marriages) and so, I don't think the frame of this 'problem' is correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow before I saw the responses from people in this thread I never knew that people were so close with their tsr friends in real life. But tsr marriages? Really? Can't believe that

Btw, how did the rbs insight guys know that you were Princepieman? Is your name actually prince?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wow before I saw the responses from people in this thread I never knew that people were so close with their tsr friends in real life. But tsr marriages? Really? Can't believe that

Btw, how did the rbs insight guys know that you were Princepieman? Is your name actually prince?
    It does say my name in my profile lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It does say my name in my profile lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yeah it does

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.