Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People that talk openly about their mental health issues- what do you think of them? watch

ReputationRep:
    I must have made about 5 depressing threads on here. It is easy to do here because I don't have to look at anyone face to face and I can remain anon. But say you knew me and I was talking this much about depression- wouldn't you do all you could to avoid me in the future?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I try to talk openly about my mental health problems with most people (not with absolutely everyone - my extended family don't know, for example) both on social media and IRL, and I've had a lot of positive responses from people about it :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It depends how well I knew you. If some random stranger started talking to me about it non-stop I might find it a little strange. If it was a friend/acquaintance I'd be okay with it. I wouldn't avoid someone who talked about it a lot, but if it was 24/7 it might get tiring and depressing for me, personally. Being around someone that's full on like that all of the time can effect your own mood and be unhealthy.

It all depends how much/how often/what kind of stuff you say. If it's all doom and gloom all of the time people might find it difficult to be around you. If you're just open and honest about it that's different, it can be refreshing.

ReputationRep:
    i think people should speak more openly about it. I have a few friends who do. A lot of people just walk around with a mask but it all depends on the type of mental illness and how much someone is willing to share.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I talk openly about my MH condtions to try and raise awareness and reduce stigma. I have severe OCD along with a few other MH illnesses and the amount of misconceptions about OCD especially was alarming so I try and educate (hopefully without lecturing ). I'm also up front and open that I am in therapy and will be for a long time. I try and be as open as possible but still keeping the really personal causes and things like that to myself or close loved ones. I don't write about it in a doom or gloom way but I make sure people understand that its not easy but try to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel, even when I have been at my worst.

I talk about it a lot online on relevant threads and forums and if it ever comes up in person, I am happy to talk about it there too but its nothing something I shout from the rooftops and want the entire world to know but its not something I am ashamed of and try to hide either. Its like a physical condition. People won't tell you every minute of the day they have diabetes but if it comes up in conversation or your experience could help someone, you talk about it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.