Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got a job and I was wondering whether you could get a bank account when you're 16? Can you just walk into a branch (with some documents/proof of identity) or do you have to go with a parent? + will I need to provide a deposit? (if so, how much??)

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, as I did back when I was still 16 and my mum was asked to come in with me. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Outlawblues)
    I just got a job and I was wondering whether you could get a bank account when you're 16? Can you just walk into a branch (with some documents/proof of identity) or do you have to go with a parent? + will I need to provide a deposit? (if so, how much??)
    you can get an isa which if you're saving is worth it as you only need a birth certificate, valid passport and proof of address and they can set on up with a deposit of around £10 and you can put about £11,000 a year in there

ReputationRep:
    You can get one when you 13
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I got an under 19s / young persons bank account when I turned 16.

Because I opened an account with the same bank as my parents, I didn't need to take any ID in with me.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Yes

heres a selection of bank accounts for teenagers.
    http://www.money.co.uk/current-accou...-teenagers.htm

They all offer one, so if you wnat to join one bank in particular, then just ask. You would normally get a debit card, but no overdraft.
    Iself are any photo id or official correspondence with address. mobile phone contract, passport, probisional licence etc.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I've had a bank account for years - good idea to take a parent

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what the best bank is for a 16 year old?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know what the best bank is for a 16 year old?
    Depends on what you want (also a good idea to look at what benefits they offer for students if you decide to go to uni, I found I got better offers from HSBC because I was already with them)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I've had a bank account since I was 12.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.