Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I understand that you need to decline all offers to move to EXTRA, or have received no offers.

However, I have a question which I hope someone can help with please. The scenario is this, you have completely changed your degree choice and you decide to decline all of your offers to choose a completely different course in EXTRA (which the unis you applied to originally don't offer). You take this risk and then don't get an offer from each uni that you apply to for your new course (using your existing personal statement, or being allowed to email a new one).

You are now left with no university. You realise you have made an error and want to get to uni to study your original subject choice. However, you have your `old ` personal statement for the original courses you applied to. Can you use this to enter Clearing when it opens and can you then reapply to the universities which you declined, if they now have spaces in Clearing.

I presume that a university knows that you have declined them, but don't know if that is because you have firmed/insured another university or if you declined all of your offers and enter Extra.

The person in this case can't reapply, rather than entering clearing because they have already taken a gap year. The universities in question are all Russell Group, if that makes any difference.

Thank you for any insight.

ReputationRep:
    The original PS on your UCAS application is what will be accessed by any Uni you apply to through Clearing.

You can reapply to your original Universities, but its pointless applying to any course that rejected you - those courses didn't want you then and they still wont want you.

Yes Unis will know at Clearing stage that you previously declined them, but most wont be that bothered. If they have places in Clearing they will just reconsider you on achieved grades/PS.

I dont understand what you mean in the last paragraph - what do you mean by 'can't reapply.... have already taken a Gap year'? If they are holding a UF place deferred from last year, they would have to decline that place and make an entirely new application to enter Extra or Clearing as they don't have a current application in process.

ReputationRep:
    Just to add something you state the unis concerned are Russell Group. Most RG do have courses available but some will not have any or many courses in clearing. Based on last years figures Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL were not in clearing and there were very few courses available at Edinburgh, Durham, Bristol and Exeter so you may find your course will not be available in clearing anyway.

ReputationRep:
    can someone tell me how to go about writing a revised personal statement for a different course? I'm from ireland so I'm not really too sure about how I should go about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123eoe123)
    can someone tell me how to go about writing a revised personal statement for a different course? I'm from ireland so I'm not really too sure about how I should go about it
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...statement_help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123eoe123)
    Has a University asked you to do this and send it directly to them?

(For everyone else - you can't substitute or change the PS attached to your original UCAS application at any stage, but if an individual Uni asks you to send them another PS (usually for a different subject) that is okay.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.