Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will homosexual families damage the next generation of children? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in support of gay rights, etc, so please don't tear into me, but this is a question that has come to mind.

Children who grow up without a mother or father often suffer difficulties in life. These can include behavioural issues, trust issues, emotional issues, and mental illness. From extensive research it is apparent that a healthy environment for a child to grow up in is one with both a loving mother and father.

Homosexual families (such as those with two men or two women) are able or will soon be able to adopt children in multiple countries around the world or start families by other means.

Will children who grow up with two fathers or two mothers suffer from similar issues as children who are lacking a parent do?

I often notice in gay relationships that one person typically takes on a more masculine role, and the other more feminine, and this could somewhat overcome the issues. But I don't notice this in every relationship.

Again, I'm in support of the new freedoms the gay community are receiving, but this is something that needs to be thought about.

ReputationRep:
    Two parents is better than one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not and even if there are negative effects on the children, there isn't nearly enough children being raised by gay parents to have any impact on the whole generation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    I'm in support of gay rights, etc, so please don't tear into me, but this is a question that has come to mind.

Children who grow up without a mother or father often suffer difficulties in life. These can include behavioural issues, trust issues, emotional issues, and mental illness. From extensive research it is apparent that a healthy environment for a child to grow up in is one with both a loving mother and father.

Homosexual families (such as those with two men or two women) are able or will soon be able to adopt children in multiple countries around the world or start families by other means.

Will children who grow up with two fathers or two mothers suffer from similar issues as children who are lacking a parent do?

I often notice in gay relationships that one person typically takes on a more masculine role, and the other more feminine, and this could somewhat overcome the issues. But I don't notice this in every relationship.

Again, I'm in support of the new freedoms the gay community are receiving, but this is something that needs to be thought about.
    That research you're referring to is about single parent families not families involving homosexual couples.

There is no evidence that children of homosexual couples experience the same issues as those from single parent families. The only statistically significant downside they have is experiencing homophobic behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    I think we need to carry out a longitudinal study to see if there's negative effects.

ReputationRep:
    I think on average they might actually be a little less screwed up.

While most conventional couples get sick of each other after a few years, gays still face more challenges socially, which might make their bond stronger. A stronger an more passionate bond between parents makes for a child with a healthier view of relationships, I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    That research you're referring to is about single parent families not families involving homosexual couples.

There is no evidence that children of homosexual couples experience the same issues as those from single parent families. The only statistically significant downside they have is experiencing homophobic behaviour.
    There is also no substantial data, and that is what unsettles me.

ReputationRep:
    Children With Same-Sex Parents Are No Worse Off Than Those Raised By Straight Parents, Study Finds

Scientists agree that children raised by same-sex couples are no worse off than children raised by parents of the opposite sex, according to a new study co-authored by a University of Oregon professor.

The new research, which looked at 19,000 studies and articles related to same-sex parenting from 1977 to 2013, was released last week, and comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is set to rule by the end of this month on whether same-sex marriage is legal.

“Consensus is overwhelming in terms of there being no difference in children who are raised by same-sex or different- sex parents,” University of Oregon sociology professor Ryan Light said on Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    There is also no substantial data, and that is what unsettles me.
    But the two environments growing up of homosexual couples and single parent house holds are completely different.

It isn't the "lack of a mother or father" that is causing the issue in single parent house holds (as if you need some gender role balance in the household), it is the reduced stability and parental interaction that comes from only one parent having to earn enough on their own to support them (which means that one parent is going to be busier and have less time to spend with their child). You wouldn't have that in a stable two parent household regardless of the gender make-up of the house.

Any comparison between parenting of different sorts of couples needs to be between COUPLES raising kids, not single parent households.

ReputationRep:
    surely having 2 dads or 2 mums is better than having no parents at all?

It's not exactly like there is 8 applicants per child, children are in dire need of adoption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    Children With Same-Sex Parents Are No Worse Off Than Those Raised By Straight Parents, Study Finds

Scientists agree that children raised by same-sex couples are no worse off than children raised by parents of the opposite sex, according to a new study co-authored by a University of Oregon professor.

The new research, which looked at 19,000 studies and articles related to same-sex parenting from 1977 to 2013, was released last week, and comes as the U.S. Supreme Court is set to rule by the end of this month on whether same-sex marriage is legal.

“Consensus is overwhelming in terms of there being no difference in children who are raised by same-sex or different- sex parents,” University of Oregon sociology professor Ryan Light said on Tuesday.
    Awesome! This has made me feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Good parenting as nothing to do with sexual orientation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    surely having 2 dads or 2 mums is better than having no parents at all?

It's not exactly like there is 8 applicants per child, children are in dire need of adoption.
    Good point; with this sh*tty child care system they'll be more than happy to chuck these poor foster kids to anyone, as long as they pay and empty the foster homes :noway:

ReputationRep:
    Children who grow up without a mother or father often suffer difficulties in life.
    Totally. I mean, look at President Obama. Growing up in a single-parent household clearly prevented him from attaining significant achievements.

ReputationRep:
    (Feel free to ignore the first paragraph since I don't have a link to this right now) There has already been a study on this. Homosexual parents have no negative effect on the child. On average the children are a lot more confident in themselves, they are more tolerant and have better knowledge on contraception because they are more open with their parents.

The reason single parents often to a crap job is because well, there's only one of them. Parenting is difficult when you have help, so doing it alone can be a challenge. Also if it's a single parent then there's also a chance that the child was an accident. Children are usually brought up better when they are actually planned and wanted (always the case with adoptions).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.