Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A few years ago I started a thread asking for advice on feeling disconnected from my parents' culture: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1907161

Things have changed since then. I moved away for university and I've changed as a person. I have put myself through therapy. I've grown as a person. I'm a lot happier. I finally feel human. I've learned to embrace who I am.

After everything I've been through and everything I've experienced, I have decided that it's best for me to keep my distance from my parents culture. Instead, I'd rather explore it in my own way. I don't want to experience culture through other people's views, and I certainly don't want to experience negative aspects of culture.

What I believe a culture should entail, and what I have experienced, are two completely different things. I think it's better to reject the negative aspects of culture. There are certain things that I just don't want in my life and I see nothing wrong with that. I am human and I have expectations just like everyone else, and regardless of my ethnic background, I am just as deserving of respect, love, care and dignity just like everyone else.

I don't want to be part of a culture that harms me. I don't want to be a member of a culture that doesn't value me. I've have been so hurt, so let down and so damaged by my parents' culture, to the point where I have no faith in it anymore. I don't feel as though I can associate with it anymore so I have decided that I'm better off disassociating from it completely.

It doesn't mean I'm bad or less of a person. It doesn't mean I'm not true to my parents' culture, but I refuse to be loyal to a culture that's not loyal to me.

Ultimately, I'd rather do what is right for me, and I'd rather live my life my way, than be a slave to culture's harmful dogma.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I think that culture defines us no matter whom we are. It runs through your blood and its your parents job to place it within you, if they have rammed it down your throat, they havent suceeded in carrying on their culture through the generations. It will end with you. Think of your children, do you want them to grow up without some form of stability (culture) in their lives. I have culture in my life, i can try and argue but in the end i will see society today has made me rebel against the same culture that my ancestors have lived by for centuries. Dont forsake it, you may feel free now but your culture is there for you, it could never hurt you truly and if you think it has then you never understood it.....

(Original post by Sly_uman)
    I think that culture defines us no matter whom we are. It runs through your blood and its your parents job to place it within you, if they have rammed it down your throat, they havent suceeded in carrying on their culture through the generations. It will end with you. Think of your children, do you want them to grow up without some form of stability (culture) in their lives. I have culture in my life, i can try and argue but in the end i will see society today has made me rebel against the same culture that my ancestors have lived by for centuries. Dont forsake it, you may feel free now but your culture is there for you, it could never hurt you truly and if you think it has then you never understood it.....
    My culture has not been there for me. I have always felt like an outsider.

It has hurt me and I understand why.

Why shouldn't I forsake a culture that's hurt me and let me down?

My future kids - if I have any - will have stability because I shall provide them with stability.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.