This thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    Undefined
    So you mean n?

Name:  l=n.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  2.5 KB

From two geometric 0 point sources , a linear diameter of the universe.

Name:  wave.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  7.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlbertXY)
    So you mean n?
    No! I mean undefined because the question is undefined

ReputationRep:
    No! I mean undefined because the question is undefined
    The question is clearly defined in words and illustration, I suggest the teacher is avoiding answering the question knowing the questions answer makes science look rather naive when they say space is expanding and try to define a Universal shape. I put to you that the Universe is N-dimensional and the visual Universe is simply an XYZ dimension of relativity that occupies the n-dimensional universe.

ReputationRep:
    I put to you that the Universe is N-dimensional and the visual Universe is simply an XYZ dimension of relativity that occupies the n-dimensional universe.
    A multi-dimensional universe is not a new theory.

ReputationRep:
    A multi-dimensional universe is not a new theory.

I never said it was, so you agree that the Universe is n-dimensional and the visual Universe is just relative to the inverse square law and the visual size of the object as it travels away from the observer and vice versus?

ReputationRep:
    I never said it was, so you agree that the Universe is n-dimensional and the visual Universe is just relative to the inverse square law and the visual size of the object as it travels away from the observer and vice versus?
    Einsteins Field Equations do work in n-dimensions but what follows, as usual, is utter tosh.

the visual Universe is just relative to the inverse square law???
    and the visual size of the object as it travels away from the observer ????

ReputationRep:
    i agree that the universe is n-dimensional for some n

just saying it's n-dimensional is meaningless lol

and what i said is fairly trivial. a more interesting statement is what precise value n really takes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    i agree that the universe is n-dimensional for some n

just saying it's n-dimensional is meaningless lol

and what i said is fairly trivial. a more interesting statement is what precise value n really takes
    n=0

ReputationRep:
    n=0
    so the universe has no dimensions? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    so the universe has no dimensions? :holmes:
    The Universe has no dimensions but the Universe has physical dimensions in it of objects.

Light passing through space has no dimensions until it interacts with a physical dimension.

Our Sun and other Suns are like a candle burning in the center of a huge warehouse , from the central observers perspective they gaze into oblivion from within a light sphere that diminishes over distance in intensity.

ReputationRep:
    The Universe has no dimensions but the Universe has physical dimensions in it of objects.

Light passing through space has no dimensions until it interacts with a physical dimension.

Our Sun and other Suns are like a candle burning in the center of a huge warehouse , from the central observers perspective they gaze into oblivion from within a light sphere that diminishes over distance in intensity.
    what is a dimension that is not physical?

normally we say that space (or spacetime) is three (or four) dimensional. this has a rigorous mathematical definition which means three (or four) independent coordinates are needed to distinguish its points

ReputationRep:
    what is a dimension that is not physical?

normally we say that space (or spacetime) is three (or four) dimensional. this has a rigorous mathematical definition which means three (or four) independent coordinates are needed to distinguish its points

The interwoven fabric of space and time is a virtual representation and incorrect, time does not exist of space it only exists of matter and is relevant to matter, space does not age and was never born, it pre-exists everything including the big bang. Space is n-dimensional space , the 5th ''dimension'' that contains 4 dimensional objects.

XYZ only exists of physical objects, XYZ does not exist of space, space-time is a virtual navigation system.

A dimension that is not physical is ''emptiness''..

ReputationRep:
    Einsteins Field Equations do work in n-dimensions but what follows, as usual, is utter tosh.

the visual Universe is just relative to the inverse square law???
    and the visual size of the object as it travels away from the observer ????
    The Universe is not expanding

ReputationRep:
    :curious:

:burnout:

ReputationRep:
    The Universe is not expanding
    While no means an expert. How do you explain red shift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhaegoTarg)
    While no means an expert. How do you explain red shift?

How do I explain red shift? the same as you I should imagine and the stretching of light . The radius of light is expanding not the Universe.

ReputationRep:
    How do I explain red shift? the same as you I should imagine and the stretching of light . The radius of light is expanding not the Universe.
    If the radius of light is expanding, where is it expanding in to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhaegoTarg)
    If the radius of light is expanding, where is it expanding in to?

Oblivion , the red shift of light is observed by the observation of matter that is moving away from an observer. Space is not expanding and neither is the Universe, things are moving away from us into n-dimensional space. The length of light between bodies expands and is stretched relative to observation.
    The expansion does not have to be at the near speed of light either, it is radius that is the cause not speed.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.