Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi how is everyone?

Late to the party I know.....but, has anyone had any success applying late to PGCE (or equivalent) courses in U.K.? I've contacted Oxford Brookes and they said I can send them my C.V. with a Personal Statement... has anyone else been successful through this route? Recommend any other Uni's for PGCE Primary Courses??

I'm looking to teach p4 - p7.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jgough)
    Hi how is everyone?

Late to the party I know.....but, has anyone had any success applying late to PGCE (or equivalent) courses in U.K.? I've contacted Oxford Brookes and they said I can send them my C.V. with a Personal Statement... has anyone else been successful through this route? Recommend any other Uni's for PGCE Primary Courses??

I'm looking to teach p4 - p7.

Thanks!
    Hi there,

The NCTL and UCAS state that Primary is full across the country for 2016 entry, however this is not true. The majority are full but a few places have not filled their allocation and are still recruiting. If you go on UCAS and use the filter to search for places that still have vacancies, this will bring up a list of places still recruiting. Your best bet is to send these an email asking if they are indeed still recruiting and if they will consider your application. There are a lot of places in London still recruiting.

If you don't mind me asking, have you suddenly decided to apply to avoid the longer process of becoming a teacher that the government are planning?

Good luck with it all

ReputationRep:
    Things are a little bit different this year because the NCTL has not allocated a specific number of places to training providers. Essentially, this means that they can recruit as many people as they want until they are told to stop by the NCTL. It's difficult to say what this means about the availability of 'clearing'-type places this year as some training providers have probably recruited more people than they have done in previous years.

I applied last year at the end of May to a SCITT, the University of Birmingham and the University of Leicester. They all invited me to interview. The SCITT and the University of Leicester were full but were seeking to build a waiting list as each year they have people who don't meet their offers or change their minds whereas I think the University of Birmingham still had places left to fill. The University of Leicester had some places available on a few School Direct courses they were running in partnership with local schools, which is always an option worth exploring because, with some training providers, the School Direct course can be exactly the same as the regular PGCE course offered by the university except you have two placements at your lead school and then one placement elsewhere rather than having three placements each at a different school. This is certainly the case with all of the University of Leicester's School Direct courses.

I have just had a look to see how things look this year and the University of Birmingham is no longer accepting applications whereas the University of Leicester is still accepting applications for its core PGCE course (most likely for places on their waiting list) but all of its School Direct places have been taken up, which just goes to show what a difference this new recruitment process has made.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware of any Government teaching scheme.....? haha

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware of any Government teacher training scheme?

(Original post by alymau)
    Hi there,

The NCTL and UCAS state that Primary is full across the country for 2016 entry, however this is not true. The majority are full but a few places have not filled their allocation and are still recruiting. If you go on UCAS and use the filter to search for places that still have vacancies, this will bring up a list of places still recruiting. Your best bet is to send these an email asking if they are indeed still recruiting and if they will consider your application. There are a lot of places in London still recruiting.

If you don't mind me asking, have you suddenly decided to apply to avoid the longer process of becoming a teacher that the government are planning?

Good luck with it all

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.