Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I start nursing in September and I know that I will get a student bursary. However are there any other benefits I can apply for?
    I have a partner however he doesn't work due to ill health and because we have three children.
    I know I can apply for slightly more for the bursary because I have dependents, but we are used to having my salary each month and now will loose that plus we will loose working tax credits as I will no longer qualify for it.
    How do I class my bursary for Tax Credits purposes?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You'll get the single persons council tax discount because you're a full time student, you'll need a certificate from the uni for that.

Depending on your partners situation, they may be entitled to personal independence payment. (PIP) This is based on care and /or mobility needs and is non-means tested. (not based on income)

You may, depending on your situation, be entitled to some housing benefit. Your bursary is counted as income for benefits purposes. But it works differently for tax credits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilithPaige)
    Hi there,
    I start nursing in September and I know that I will get a student bursary. However are there any other benefits I can apply for?
    I have a partner however he doesn't work due to ill health and because we have three children.
    I know I can apply for slightly more for the bursary because I have dependents, but we are used to having my salary each month and now will loose that plus we will loose working tax credits as I will no longer qualify for it.
    How do I class my bursary for Tax Credits purposes?
    You should still get Child Tax Credits and the amount will go up based on the fact you're no longer working - I have three children and I get well over £100 a week which covers my food shop and any expenses the kids need, like shoes etc. Sadly being a student isn't living in luxury. I hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.