Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am after some information and opinion.

I have a wedding to attend tomorrow (Saturday) and whilst my employer would not authorise the holiday request, I have subsequently managed to agree a shift swap with a colleague.

It is now less than 24 hours before the wedding and my colleague has just informed myself and the manager that she will not be working the shift as originally planned.

My manager has taken the view that the shift is once again my responsibility and the fact I have booked hotel and bought the dress etc is irrelevant. I am obviously furious with this as it is my colleagues lack of integrity causing the problem and leaving me out of pocket.

I have already covered her shift and therefore I am over my contacted hours for the week. Does anyone know how to approach this?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Phone in sick.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I can't offer advice but wow! Your colleague sounds like a first class a*se

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisa1986)
    Hi guys,

I am after some information and opinion.

I have a wedding to attend tomorrow (Saturday) and whilst my employer would not authorise the holiday request, I have subsequently managed to agree a shift swap with a colleague.

It is now less than 24 hours before the wedding and my colleague has just informed myself and the manager that she will not be working the shift as originally planned.

My manager has taken the view that the shift is once again my responsibility and the fact I have booked hotel and bought the dress etc is irrelevant. I am obviously furious with this as it is my colleagues lack of integrity causing the problem and leaving me out of pocket.

I have already covered her shift and therefore I am over my contacted hours for the week. Does anyone know how to approach this?

Thanks.
    That is quite a tough situation. Unless your colleague has a very good reason, given that you have already worked her shift it should really be her responsibility to find cover. If you cannot find cover, or negotiate with your manager or someone else, I'd consider whether the consequences of not working out weigh going to the wedding. If it means losing your job it might not be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    That is quite a tough situation. Unless your colleague has a very good reason, given that you have already worked her shift it should really be her responsibility to find cover. If you cannot find cover, or negotiate with your manager or someone else, I'd consider whether the consequences of not working out weigh going to the wedding. If it means losing your job it might not be worth it.
    Yes that is my concern. My manager has just washed her hands of it because it involved a shift swap rather than holidays which I can sort of understand but I cant help but feel I am on the losing side here whichever route i take. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Your colleague sounds like a complete di*ck.

Are you in a union?

ReputationRep:
    I would of taken it as it's the other colleagues responsabilty now, you've done your part. It should be up to them to find cover. Or everyone could be doing this on a weekly bases, also you manager sounds really unhelpful and blaming the wrong person.

ReputationRep:
    Short of phoning in sick, there's always begging other people to swap. If not, just go to the wedding and take the *******ing. They'll manage and scramble for cover if they really need it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.
    Did your manager authorise the shift swap?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be ringing that SoaB up and telling them that as you've already done theirs, to sort it out or stop being a lazy *** and do it.
    What an idiot. You don't agree to swop shifts and then try to cancel after they've done yours!

ReputationRep:
    Phone up and say you're sick, sick of this bs! Then hang up and go to the wedding

ReputationRep:
    . Does anyone know how to approach this?

Thanks.
    Don't phone in sick. That displays low integrity. Write to the manager, copied to the colleague, stating that you arranged a swift swap, which was approved by the manager. Give dates of conversations etc. Point out that you have fulfilled your side of the bargain, and that you will not be blackmailed into working two shifts purely because other people have low integrity. Use those words.

State that the matter is between the manager and the colleague and they must sort it out themselves.

Then go to the wedding. Resist all attempts to blackmail or otherwise force you to work, but be assertive and calm.

If you are disciplined you have the email to fall back on as a record of the train of events.

ReputationRep:
    providing you're very keen to go the wedding I would just state that you arranged cover and completed your side of the bargain, putting you to your required hours... as it was confirmed you have arranged a hotel etc and so will be going on the trip and it is your coworker's shift now and therefore her responsibility and then leave it

obviously there is a risk they will fire you

before doing this I would see if anyone can cover for you last minute

ReputationRep:
    So what did you do? I'm curious.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.