Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone still believe that depression is not a real illness and those that have? Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by illness)
    I am just sick of it thats all. Sleep was my only escape from it now I cant even sleep. So I am tires, angry, annoyed and just want to ****ing die. I don't care if you think I am a freak for feeling like that.
    I know you're sick of it. I get sick of my illness every single day. How can I think you're a freak when I understand the pain you're going through?

I make a valid point however. Threads like this attract fights. Fights won't help you. Please just log off and even try to sleep. There's natural methods, have you Googled those?

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Damn, can't rep this. Bloody TSR :grumble:
    The curse of the rep has returned to us!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    I know you're sick of it. I get sick of my illness every single day. How can I think you're a freak when I understand the pain you're going through?

I make a valid point however. Threads like this attract fights. Fights won't help you. Please just log off and even try to sleep. There's natural methods, have you Googled those?

The curse of the rep has returned to us!
    I think I am a freak for thinking like this. I will have a look.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I think I am a freak for thinking like this. I will have a look.
    You're not a freak. You're just stressed and angry and extremely tired right now and the negative stuff in your brain is having a field day.

(Original post by shawtyb)
    yes and before u start, i have had depression
    even if u dont feel happy, try
    everything in life requires you to try to some degree.
    thinking of positive stuff in your life
    I get that you've had depression and "trying to feel happy" has helped you, but for other people it doesn't work like that. I can't speak for everyone but I know when I'm in my worst states, I have no motivation. I don't want to "try" anything. If I can't even "try" to get out of bed and have a shower, feed myself, go to uni etc. what makes you think I can try to be happy?

Also, it's really hard to try to feel happy. Even when I think happy thoughts and think positively, I still feel like crap. I've tried to be optimistic when things knock me down but I'm still not happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I get that you've had depression and "trying to feel happy" has helped you, but for other people it doesn't work like that. I can't speak for everyone but I know when I'm in my worst states, I have no motivation. I don't want to "try" anything. If I can't even "try" to get out of bed and have a shower, feed myself, go to uni etc. what makes you think I can try to be happy?

Also, it's really hard to try to feel happy. Even when I think happy thoughts and think positively, I still feel like crap. I've tried to be optimistic when things knock me down but I'm still not happy.
    why go anonymous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    You're not a freak. You're just stressed and angry and extremely tired right now and the negative stuff in your brain is having a field day.
    I even make my self cringe by posting how I feel to complete strangers that dont even know me and probably never will. How the hell am I meant to be able to peak like this to someone face to face?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I even make my self cringe by posting how I feel to complete strangers that dont even know me and probably never will. How the hell am I meant to be able to peak like this to someone face to face?
    Write it down. I do that a lot and it helps.

ReputationRep:
    It is a real illness.

ReputationRep:
    because its so depressing, theres enough depressing **** in the world, let alone seeing it daily on herefair enough if u need help, then fine ask for advice but not depressing **** every daytry just being happy for a while
    Are you acc dumb m8?

Just because you've seen a lot of other people make posts seeking advice about things which you find "depressing", does not mean you can put this individual down for it because YOU are tired of seeing it everyday. If it was that easy to just try being happy then I'm pretty sure OP would've done it a long time ago.

you dont need to bring us all down with you though do you
    Are you actually saying this. For someone who is allegedly suffering from depression, and whose father has been diagnosed with depression, you should know that's a pretty *****y thing to say. This is why people don't speak about their mental illness. Congratulations on making yet another person feel like **** over something they cannot control. Just like you cannot control the falling in love, you cannot control depression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP you should definitely make an appointment with the GP asap - it's only 11:45 am so I'm sure you can still get an appointment in today. Try finding an outlet, do you like painting, drawing, listening to music, reading books? Something that can take your mind off it but help you cope at the same time. Is there a particular issue making you feel that way? Maybe you could address that, talk about it with someone. Either way talking to someone about your feelings helps a lot so even if you have no one you can find a therapist and just talk.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    yes and before u start, i have had depression
    even if u dont feel happy, try
    everything in life requires you to try to some degree.
    thinking of positive stuff in your life
    This is so ridiculous. Why is it that as soon as someone has a mental health condition, they're expected to have so much more control over their brain chemistry, thoughts and mood than healthy people? Especially when they're likely feeling overwhelmed, helpless and worthless. You cannot just 'think your way' out of depression.

Firstly, you're dismissing it as a mood or emotion not a health condition; secondly, you're basically blaming the sufferer - obviously they're depressed because they didn't have enough positive thoughts. I'm sorry but that is just bull****.

Some people don't have the strength to take control over their thoughts, just because you were lucky to doesn't mean that everyone is. Stop implying that their struggle is invalid because they aren't 'trying' hard enough.

When your brain stops telling you to look after yourself, it's pretty damn difficult to even get round to eating, drinking and sleeping, nevermind breaking vicious thought cycles and rewiring your own freaking brain.

ReputationRep:
    I think depression is a real illness, but at the same time, I do wonder about the diagnostic procedure and validity. Admittedly I wasn't an adult at the time, so it may be more rigorous now, but I basically just got questions asked of me and had to fill in sheets with further questions, hardly better than the online tests. The sorts of things asked could well be answered in very different ways at different times, and seemed quite subjective in a sense. And someone could definitely exaggerate. But I imagine that was more of a screening; perhaps I should look up the actual procedure as surely it must be more rigorous.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EZR97)
    x
    Don't do this. Do not do this. Seriously. You have a thread and that is the only place you're allowed to post these things.

ReputationRep:
    il ask my dad whose been diagnosed with severe depression what his views on it are!!!!
    What did he say?

In seriousness though, there are far too many people who treat it like an emotion and say stuff like just cheer up. So yeah I would say that there are still lots of people that don't think of it as a real illness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Don't do this. Do not do this. Seriously. You have a thread and that is the only place you're allowed to post these things.
    I'm sorry. I will stop.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think those that have depression are attention seeking, but I wouldn't class mental 'illnesses' as illnesses, but rather syndromes. I think that mental 'illnesses' are likely caused by environmental factors interacting with a person's genotype, and are intrinsically linked with a person's personality.

There is conflicting scientific evidence on depression - it's nature is not yet fully understood. So personally I would take caution with branding it an 'illness', particularly as almost all people experience periods of immense sadness - it is a natural emotion.

Why many people suffer from extended periods of extreme sadness is unclear, but I do believe that all people can carve out their own path to a generally happy life. I hope that those with depression find this strength within themselves somehow.

ReputationRep:
    because its so depressing, theres enough depressing **** in the world, let alone seeing it daily on here
    fair enough if u need help, then fine ask for advice but not depressing **** every day
    try just being happy for a while
    Hey, no. It's really hard to deal with depression and one of the most effective ways of doing it is to talk about it. If it's depressing you that much then don't look at the threads. Having a go at someone who's trying to handle depression is bad enough, but trying to stop them from using coping strategies is just plain cruel.

Sorry I am just overwhelmed. I cant take my mind anymore. I can on here to let of steam. No matter what I do I feel like I cant get better.
    Don't worry about it. You can come and let it all out by pm-ing me if you want. I've been there myself so I'm more than willing to help someone else who's in that boat.

ReputationRep:
    The others have made a good point about finding an outlet. For me my feelings and/or memories all take on individual faces. So normally when I'm feeling down or want to make sense of my emotions I model these faces in blender, it seems like my feelings are separate entities from myself when I do that. I find that normally helps to get a grip on how I'm feeling or what I'm feeling. The great thing about blender is that if the face represents a negative emotion I can then export it as a nif file and put it in games. That way I can have NPCs wearing mask versions of the faces. When attacking/killing said NPCs it's like I'm destroying the negative emotion. I find that this can completely annihilate those negative feelings. It doesn't cure depression (as in the illness), but it does take the brunt of it away. You should find something like that.

What also helps me is studying the quantum world and/or space. It puts a whole new perspective on things. It's really humbling too, it makes you realise that things in life are meaningless and that worrying about them is therefore pointless. Things like emotions and opinions vanish the moment you get outside of the human bubble.

ReputationRep:
    I was always raised to believe mental illness doesn't exist, but since I've been at uni I've accepted that it does, especially considering some events that have happened in my life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Are you acc dumb m8?

Just because you've seen a lot of other people make posts seeking advice about things which you find "depressing", does not mean you can put this individual down for it because YOU are tired of seeing it everyday. If it was that easy to just try being happy then I'm pretty sure OP would've done it a long time ago.

Are you actually saying this. For someone who is allegedly suffering from depression, and whose father has been diagnosed with depression, you should know that's a pretty *****y thing to say. This is why people don't speak about their mental illness. Congratulations on making yet another person feel like **** over something they cannot control. Just like you cannot control the falling in love, you cannot control depression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OP you should definitely make an appointment with the GP asap - it's only 11:45 am so I'm sure you can still get an appointment in today. Try finding an outlet, do you like painting, drawing, listening to music, reading books? Something that can take your mind off it but help you cope at the same time. Is there a particular issue making you feel that way? Maybe you could address that, talk about it with someone. Either way talking to someone about your feelings helps a lot so even if you have no one you can find a therapist and just talk.

Good luck
    I was aiming to phone them as soon as they opened but that was one of the 2 hours that I was actually sleeping. It is an obsession that I wish I could just forget about. I have started seeing a counselor every week so hopefully that will help.Thank you so much for your comment.

ReputationRep:
    I was aiming to phone them as soon as they opened but that was one of the 2 hours that I was actually sleeping. It is an obsession that I wish I could just forget about. I have started seeing a counselor every week so hopefully that will help.Thank you so much for your comment.
    Alright call them on Monday. Counseling should help. I know it's hard but hang in there, even if you hit your lowest point there is always a way out. PM if you need me/ want to vent. No problemo

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.