Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone still believe that depression is not a real illness and those that have? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    What did he say?

In seriousness though, there are far too many people who treat it like an emotion and say stuff like just cheer up. So yeah I would say that there are still lots of people that don't think of it as a real illness.
    it was sarcasm, im not going to ask my dads views on it ffs
    yes it is real

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Hey, no. It's really hard to deal with depression and one of the most effective ways of doing it is to talk about it. If it's depressing you that much then don't look at the threads. Having a go at someone who's trying to handle depression is bad enough, but trying to stop them from using coping strategies is just plain cruel.

Don't worry about it. You can come and let it all out by pm-ing me if you want. I've been there myself so I'm more than willing to help someone else who's in that boat.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Alright call them on Monday. Counseling should help. I know it's hard but hang in there, even if you hit your lowest point there is always a way out. PM if you need me/ want to vent. No problemo
    PRSOM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    it was sarcasm, im not going to ask my dads views on it ffs
    yes it is real
    Haha my post was sarcastic as well, thats why I said in all seriousness after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illness)
    it are attention seeking?

Because I would love to punch you on the face.
    A lot of us have depression and so what? Why do you care about what others think? What a waste of energy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    A lot of us have depression and so what? Why do you care about what others think? What a waste of energy.
    Its destroying my life and it get worse everyday and I am at the stage I feel it will be like this forever and no matter what people say it will never get better so I want to kill myself bur I have not made any plans yet.

ReputationRep:
    With this depressing I am failing university which in turn will **** me up for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    The others have made a good point about finding an outlet. For me my feelings and/or memories all take on individual faces. So normally when I'm feeling down or want to make sense of my emotions I model these faces in blender, it seems like my feelings are separate entities from myself when I do that. I find that normally helps to get a grip on how I'm feeling or what I'm feeling. The great thing about blender is that if the face represents a negative emotion I can then export it as a nif file and put it in games. That way I can have NPCs wearing mask versions of the faces. When attacking/killing said NPCs it's like I'm destroying the negative emotion. I find that this can completely annihilate those negative feelings. It doesn't cure depression (as in the illness), but it does take the brunt of it away. You should find something like that.

What also helps me is studying the quantum world and/or space. It puts a whole new perspective on things. It's really humbling too, it makes you realise that things in life are meaningless and that worrying about them is therefore pointless. Things like emotions and opinions vanish the moment you get outside of the human bubble.
    This is a really good idea. I'm pretty sure gaming (specifically FPS games) have helped me deal with some of my MH issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illlness)
    Its destroying my life and it get worse everyday and I am at the stage I feel it will be like this forever and no matter what people say it will never get better so I want to kill myself bur I have not made any plans yet.
    With this depressing I am failing university which in turn will **** me up for jobs.
    This guy might help

ReputationRep:
    Well it destroyed my life too, to an extent, but you can't expect everyone to understand you. You are probably very ignorant about some illnesses too and nobody is rubbing that in you face.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to break it to you but this doesn't mean ****. Even if you don't fail, do you think you'll suddenly be ok after you graduate? Surprise surprise, it will get worse. I struggled through uni also but passed, got a job and then.... and then things got ****ed up and I don't work now.
    What I am trying to say is that you should get treatment now if you actually want to get better. Not saying that it will work. But it might.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely a real illness, you only need to look at the effects that anti depressants have on a sufferer to know that there was something wrong initially (on a biological basis). I do, however think that it's an illness that is possibly very over prescribed. This is probably because it has so many levels of severity. I think a lot of people who are labelled as 'clinically depressed' in the category of 'mild depression' can very easily not be suffering from depression. Just take a look at the criteria for mild depression, anyone who is feeling a bit down or who had a dramatic personality could fit it. But it is definitely a real illness!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Well it destroyed my life too, to an extent, but you can't expect everyone to understand you. You are probably very ignorant about some illnesses too and nobody is rubbing that in you face.
    I don't expect everyone to understand..

I ain't rubbing anything in anyones face.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Sorry to break it to you but this doesn't mean ****. Even if you don't fail, do you think you'll suddenly be ok after you graduate? Surprise surprise, it will get worse. I struggled through uni also but passed, got a job and then.... and then things got ****ed up and I don't work now.
    What I am trying to say is that you should get treatment now if you actually want to get better. Not saying that it will work. But it might.
    No but it will be a lot worse if I do fail. Which I probably will. And that annoys me so I just rant on here. Trying to get the anger out.

I just don't understand why I m like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatssarcasm?)
    It's definitely a real illness, you only need to look at the effects that anti depressants have on a sufferer to know that there was something wrong initially (on a biological basis). I do, however think that it's an illness that is possibly very over prescribed. This is probably because it has so many levels of severity. I think a lot of people who are labelled as 'clinically depressed' in the category of 'mild depression' can very easily not be suffering from depression. Just take a look at the criteria for mild depression, anyone who is feeling a bit down or who had a dramatic personality could fit it. But it is definitely a real illness!!!!
    Yeah i agree.

ReputationRep:
    I don't expect everyone to understand..

I ain't rubbing anything in anyones face.
    Well that was your main complain, in the first post anyway. You want everyone to understand that depression is a real thing.
    There are only two explanations I guess. Trauma and/or some kind of brain issues humans don't understand yet.

ReputationRep:
    How am I bring yours all down? Sorry if I am. This is why I dont want to tell anyone about it that I know.
    One good thing about being on the student room, it's anonymous! So if you want to talk to anyone that you don't know... Here we are! Plus I'm a bit like that, my best friend gets annoyed when I don't tell her anything, I find a bit of anonymity pretty comforting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    Well that was your main complain, in the first post anyway. You want everyone to understand that depression is a real thing.
    There are only two explanations I guess. Trauma and/or some kind of brain issues humans don't understand yet.
    I do but I understand that not everyone will. I was just tired and lost my mind when I made this thread.

ReputationRep:
    it are attention seeking?

Because I would love to punch you on the face.

Im no psychiatrist or psychologist but I know depression is a very real illness. There are varying degrees but I'd say it's as real as PST.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    we have walk in centres here, there open from 8am till 8 pm every day of the year and longer during the winter
    Interesting bit of information they don't have those in Scotland as I found out last year after a back op as needed almost daily dressing replacement but my local GP's nurses could only give me one appointment a week so had to go to A+E instead every day, well we have sexual health walk ins but not regular.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.