Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm 17 now, 18 in november, and took my gcses last year, I got pretty good grades but at the time my girlfriend who lives with me was suffering with major depression and I didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone so I elected not to go to 6th form or college but to stay at home with her. Almost a year on she's doing much better and I now want to focus on my education again, but i don't want to go to college, i want to start university this september. I've read about extended degrees which have a foundation year, but even these all seem to have a minimum requirement of about 100 UCAS points. Can anyone think of any way at all i can either get into an extended degree course with just my GCSEs or a way of getting those 100 or so UCAS points within the next 4-5 months? I'm completely stuck here. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Unfortuantely you've left it too late this year, the main UCAS deadline was in January. You could enter an exam as private candidate, self-study and then try and get a clearing place but this would be a tall order in such a short space of time.

Realistically the only option is to start a level 3 course in September. Don't worry about having to spend an extra year at college, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanna say that it's very admirable how supportive you are towards your girlfriend.
    I looked up that dates for A Level registration (as an external candidate) and I think it might not be too late for you: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/li...RIES-GUIDE.PDF If you did two AS Levels or one A Level and that could give you enough points. I would say that it's defo worth looking into!
    Were you planning to apply for the extended degree course through clearing?

Good luck
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by callumisthebest)
    Basically, I'm 17 now, 18 in november, and took my gcses last year, I got pretty good grades but at the time my girlfriend who lives with me was suffering with major depression and I didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone so I elected not to go to 6th form or college but to stay at home with her. Almost a year on she's doing much better and I now want to focus on my education again, but i don't want to go to college, i want to start university this september. I've read about extended degrees which have a foundation year, but even these all seem to have a minimum requirement of about 100 UCAS points. Can anyone think of any way at all i can either get into an extended degree course with just my GCSEs or a way of getting those 100 or so UCAS points within the next 4-5 months? I'm completely stuck here. Thanks in advance
    You could start with The Open University with just GCSEs, but this is distance learning so you would be learning at home (there are some tutorials but these are on average once a month). You could potentially then use your OU modules to enter a brick uni, either starting from second year or taking the full 3 years there.

You're not going to have many other options without A Levels or an Access course, but it's too late to do well in either and go to uni in September 2016. You would be better off to take an extra year and complete more qualifications. If you're thinking of taking a foundation year then this wouldn't make any difference to your overall graduation date - you could take enough additional qualifications to enable you to skip the foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    One other thing to consider if you do a foundation year you'll have to pay tuition fees for it, whereas AFAIK you can get funding for A-levels until you are 19 if you don't already have a level 3 qualification.

As you're only 17 now you could likely do up to 2 years of level 3 study without tuition fees and then start a degree without the foundation year and the thousands of pounds of extra student debt that'll come with it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the other posters that you'd be taking on another year of tuition fee debt by aiming for 2016 which you could avoid by sitting A levels.
    If you feel that the momentum of going to uni sooner would be good for you, however, I don't think it's too late (it's true you risk not achieving the qualifications, not getting a place but there is always risk to things). I will share something about own school qualifications: I actually didn't study at all for my Advanced Highers or AS levels in languages and wrote the course work for them on the day on the deadline. I still got As. The same was true for English, for which I wrote the 8 page course work over 48 hours just before the deadline. Obviously, I'm not claiming it's as easy for science subjects although there are still several months until the exams.
    It seems to me that people blow school qualifications out of proportion (an attitude that almost certainly comes from stress and the what the schools say). So yeah, I don't think it's necessarily too late.

ReputationRep:
    I was like you before but ow I have 2 unconditional offers from King's college and Southampton.

My strongest advice is to take a foundation course

ReputationRep:
    iv not read ur OP, just the thread title
    i previously only had very poor gcses and nothing higher ie no a levels and im at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Unfortuantely you've left it too late this year, the main UCAS deadline was in January. You could enter an exam as private candidate, self-study and then try and get a clearing place but this would be a tall order in such a short space of time.

Realistically the only option is to start a level 3 course in September. Don't worry about having to spend an extra year at college, it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    I had feared as much. An access to higher education course would have been my 2nd preference but my local colleges only seem to offer those to people over 19 which throws yet another spanner in the works. They do however offer a one year accelerated a level course, which provided I got a good grade would give me with enough UCAS points to meet the minimum threshold. The difficulty with this is I have no experience with the higher education system, nobody in my family does either. Do you think I could realistically start a course at college in september 2016 and be ready for university the following year? Please forgive me if my questions sound stupid, my knowledge of this entire process is non existent.

(Original post by isitisisitis)
    Just wanna say that it's very admirable how supportive you are towards your girlfriend.
    I looked up that dates for A Level registration (as an external candidate) and I think it might not be too late for you: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/li...RIES-GUIDE.PDF If you did two AS Levels or one A Level and that could give you enough points. I would say that it's defo worth looking into!
    Were you planning to apply for the extended degree course through clearing?

Good luck
    thankyou so much for those kind words, and for looking into that for me. This is my first post on the student room and I really appreciate everyone's help. I think realistically trying for an extended degree course this year might be setting myself up to fail, so in september it looks like i'll be off to college. Do you have any recommendations as to what might be the fastest route through college that would get me the points i'm going to need? An accelerated a level course seems best to me but i could be missing a better option.

(Original post by Juno)
    You could start with The Open University with just GCSEs, but this is distance learning so you would be learning at home (there are some tutorials but these are on average once a month). You could potentially then use your OU modules to enter a brick uni, either starting from second year or taking the full 3 years there.

You're not going to have many other options without A Levels or an Access course, but it's too late to do well in either and go to uni in September 2016. You would be better off to take an extra year and complete more qualifications. If you're thinking of taking a foundation year then this wouldn't make any difference to your overall graduation date - you could take enough additional qualifications to enable you to skip the foundation year.
    Yes i've looked into the OU and I think a conventional university would be more suitable for me. I hadn't thought of the possibility of being able to skip the foundation year though, that seems like a very good idea. What sort of course would I have to be looking at doing September 2016 to enable me to take that route?

(Original post by JamesN88)
    One other thing to consider if you do a foundation year you'll have to pay tuition fees for it, whereas AFAIK you can get funding for A-levels until you are 19 if you don't already have a level 3 qualification.

As you're only 17 now you could likely do up to 2 years of level 3 study without tuition fees and then start a degree without the foundation year and the thousands of pounds of extra student debt that'll come with it.
    Debt is another thing that hadn't even crossed my mind, so would it take another 2 years of education to be able to skip the foundation year or is there any way i could do it in 1?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I had feared as much. An access to higher education course would have been my 2nd preference but my local colleges only seem to offer those to people over 19 which throws yet another spanner in the works. They do however offer a one year accelerated a level course, which provided I got a good grade would give me with enough UCAS points to meet the minimum threshold. The difficulty with this is I have no experience with the higher education system, nobody in my family does either. Do you think I could realistically start a course at college in september 2016 and be ready for university the following year? Please forgive me if my questions sound stupid, my knowledge of this entire process is non existent.

thankyou so much for those kind words, and for looking into that for me. This is my first post on the student room and I really appreciate everyone's help. I think realistically trying for an extended degree course this year might be setting myself up to fail, so in september it looks like i'll be off to college. Do you have any recommendations as to what might be the fastest route through college that would get me the points i'm going to need? An accelerated a level course seems best to me but i could be missing a better option.

Yes i've looked into the OU and I think a conventional university would be more suitable for me. I hadn't thought of the possibility of being able to skip the foundation year though, that seems like a very good idea. What sort of course would I have to be looking at doing September 2016 to enable me to take that route?

Debt is another thing that hadn't even crossed my mind, so would it take another 2 years of education to be able to skip the foundation year or is there any way i could do it in 1?
    You don't need experience of the higher education system. Your college (whatever route you go down) will be able to help, and you've found TSR which has a lot of resources.

Whatever route you decide to take, you would be best to start formally in September 2016. So that means you have several months to prepare. Whether you do A Levels or Access (which is 19+ everywhere for funding, not just your local college) or anything else, you can read in advance. As you've been out of education for a year you will have forgotten some bits, so will need to refresh - some subjects like maths are particularly bad for this. You'll also have got out of the habit of things like homework, so might need to start setting yourself a schedule and sticking to it.

If you are prepared to work hard then you could complete A Levels in one year. But this depends how much time you can devote to study, so depends how much support your girlfriend needs and how long your travel time would be. It also does depend on the subject and the grades you're hoping for. Higher grades give you more options, obviously. There are unis and subjects that take students with lower grades, but generally you would need to aim for at least 3 C grades to be able to go straight into the first year of a degree and skip the foundation.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Too late for uni this year; but look at places like Grimsby University Centre
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Tbh i'd do my A levels much cheaper and you could get a job to earn money. If you do a foundation course then try and do it at the uni you eventually want to go to.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about debt(sorry if that's the way it came across) as it isn't what you'd class as "proper debt" that has consequences if you don't pay up. If you aren't over the earning threshold for repayments(9% of everything earned over 21k so it's not a lot anyway) nothing happens but best to avoid accruing any more than necessary.

I've no idea about 1 year A-levels or similar(I'm 27 doing Access to HE so slightly out of touch in that area).

By the time you're old enough for Access you could have spent 2 years getting other qualifications anyway. If I was you I'd take full advantage of the funding you can get for ages 16-19, if it takes another year but you end up with higher marks it'll be worth it in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of great advice on this thread! Just thought I'd add that whatever qualifications you get at college, they may still be useful in their own right before and after your degree. So in this sense going after 3 A Levels in a year or two could be a really good idea
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hey there

I understand that it must've been difficult trying to find universities that could accept you due to your situation. I'm just wondering what courses are you interested in? Ravensbourne is a digital media and design university and we also offer pre foundation and foundation courses. You might want to consider the foundation degree as not only that you can get a foot inside our university and after a year you could possibly apply for a BA degree. Check us out! click here and email our [email protected] to check about requirements if you could possibly go straight to a BA degree.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Ahlia

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to sat it but - be warned - media degrees come out bottom for employability amongst all degree courses (or they have in recent years). Doesn't mean one can't make some of a media degree but statistically it's not a great option!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    iv not read ur OP, just the thread title
    i previously only had very poor gcses and nothing higher ie no a levels and im at uni
    Which uni are you in? I've recently just graduated with my gcse's and got good grades. I'm not really looking forward to doing AS levels but I feel like universities will only accept AS or A levels.

ReputationRep:
    You need UCAS points.. if you're serious about continuing your education then why don't you want to go to college?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This thread is over a year old.

ReputationRep:
    Nah youre fine. My brother got UUU at A level and he literally called up solent and asked if there were any courses left he could do and they now he studies accounting and finance there. He completed a foundation year and now hes switching to another uni or just staying on the course ya know
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.