Turn on thread page Beta

Can I go to university with just GCSEs? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afteim)
    Which uni are you in? I've recently just graduated with my gcse's and got good grades. I'm not really looking forward to doing AS levels but I feel like universities will only accept AS or A levels.
    university of essex.
    i didnt even do a levels of any kind

ReputationRep:
    HELLO!
    So, if your okay studying on your own, you could take an open university degree! I started my degree with them at 16 after just my gcse's, because I wanted to get a head start while doing alevels.
    A degree with three open university means you can do a degree without any previous qualifications.
    I would reccommend.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    how did you get into uni then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    iv not read ur OP, just the thread title
    i previously only had very poor gcses and nothing higher ie no a levels and im at uni
    How did you get into uni then? (if you don't mind me asking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie24789)
    How did you get into uni then? (if you don't mind me asking)
    well, i didnt sit 95% of my exams, i left with the GCSE's spelling fudge...literally!
    after i left school i took up a few courses like standard maths and english courses in lvl 1 and 2 and built up my qualifications from there instead so although i dont have actual GCSE's i do have something.
    i applied to uni with the grades from the courses i done after school and just got accepted on the condition i pass my first module (conditional offer).
    i passed and im now about to go into my 3rd year. but i do it distance learning due to circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumisthebest)
    Basically, I'm 17 now, 18 in november, and took my gcses last year, I got pretty good grades but at the time my girlfriend who lives with me was suffering with major depression and I didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone so I elected not to go to 6th form or college but to stay at home with her. Almost a year on she's doing much better and I now want to focus on my education again, but i don't want to go to college, i want to start university this september. I've read about extended degrees which have a foundation year, but even these all seem to have a minimum requirement of about 100 UCAS points. Can anyone think of any way at all i can either get into an extended degree course with just my GCSEs or a way of getting those 100 or so UCAS points within the next 4-5 months? I'm completely stuck here. Thanks in advance
    Ugh learn to paragraph. Please.

ReputationRep:
    Cool
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Annie24789)
    how did you get into uni then?
    Can you avoid commenting on threads that are months/years old please? There's plenty of threads that need a response. You could always PM the OP.

ReputationRep:
    the Top 5 Scottish universities (Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dundee, St.Andrews, and Edinburgh) accept GCSE/IGCSE students. There are also pathway programmes affiliated with universities that accept GCSE students. there is:

- Study Group (affiliated with Durham, Keele, Sheffield, Leicester)

- INTO UK (affiliated with Queens in Belfast, Manchester, Exeter, Newcastle)- CATS (not directly affiliated but students have gone on to LSE, UCL, Durham, Bath etc.)

- OnCampus Universal Foundation Programme (affiliated with Queen Mary, Birkbeck, Royal Veterinary College)

- University Foundation Year at Bath Academy/David Game (not directly affiliated but students have gotten into top universities)

- Kaplan Pathways (affiliated with York, Birmingham, Nottingham, Kent, Essex)

I know that this post was long back but I'd just like to point out that you could have done a foundation year and gotten direct entry into some of the UK's top universities.

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered doing 'access to HE course' at college? I dont believe you'll be able to find a uni that will take you but accsess courses are designed to get people into uni. My brother messed around during sixth form and left with no qualifications apart from his GCSEs, hes since decided he wants to be a paramedic and he did an accsess course and now hes at university as a student paramedic. I know its inconvinent but the courses are usually less than a year long and set you up for university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callumisthebest)
    Basically, I'm 17 now, 18 in november, and took my gcses last year, I got pretty good grades but at the time my girlfriend who lives with me was suffering with major depression and I didn't feel comfortable leaving her alone so I elected not to go to 6th form or college but to stay at home with her. Almost a year on she's doing much better and I now want to focus on my education again, but i don't want to go to college, i want to start university this september. I've read about extended degrees which have a foundation year, but even these all seem to have a minimum requirement of about 100 UCAS points. Can anyone think of any way at all i can either get into an extended degree course with just my GCSEs or a way of getting those 100 or so UCAS points within the next 4-5 months? I'm completely stuck here. Thanks in advance

My uncle went to Oxford at 16 and came top in his year in Maths, but he got 11 A*'s in GCSE's(then O Levels) and did his 4 A Levels at the same time and got 4 A*'s there as well, but UCAS didn't exist then so I don't know what you would do in your situation, why not just do Sixth Form.... I mean, I know your Girlfriend's got major depression and that probably messes up her life alot, but don't let it mess up yours to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)
    My uncle went to Oxford at 16 and came top in his year in Maths, but he got 11 A*'s in GCSE's(then O Levels) and did his 4 A Levels at the same time and got 4 A*'s there as well, but UCAS didn't exist then so I don't know what you would do in your situation, why not just do Sixth Form.... I mean, I know your Girlfriend's got major depression and that probably messes up her life alot, but don't let it mess up yours to.
    Mate please you are not helping, this is complete ********. O Levels were replaced by GCSEs back in the late 80s and they didn't introduce the A* grade in A level before 2010 (A was highest one could achieve before that). So please enlighten me, if you dont mind, how on earth did your dear uncle manage to score 4 A* (a grade that didn't exist until very recently) while completing his O Levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KXU00)
    Mate please you are not helping, this is complete ********. O Levels were replaced by GCSEs back in the late 80s and they didn't introduce the A* grade in A level before 2010 (A was highest one could achieve before that). So please enlighten me, if you dont mind, how on earth did your dear uncle manage to score 4 A* (a grade that didn't exist until very recently) while completing his O Levels?
    I just got told he got the top grade in every subject he did. I assumed A* was around at the same time as the A's, B's so on, maybe I was wrong. Thanks for telling me about A* in 2010, news to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)
    I just got told he got the top grade in every subject he did. I assumed A* was around at the same time as the A's, B's so on, maybe I was wrong. Thanks for telling me about A* in 2010, news to me.
    Ah fair enough, sorry I thought you were another bs on TSR spreading false info. That's really impressive though what your uncle did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KXU00)
    Ah fair enough, sorry I thought you were another bs on TSR spreading false info. That's really impressive though what your uncle did
    Yeah. He never had his IQ tested properly but by his abilities it was around high 150's to low 160's. Its annoying though that whenever I do something good my parents compare me to him.... All good by the way.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.