Turn on thread page Beta

£500 - £700 budget on first car watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! So I passed my driving test a few days ago and I've been looking around for cars now and at the moment it seems like I want to pay around 500 to 700 maybe pushing to 800 on my first car, now this is obviously really cheap but i mainly just want to have a runaround car that can get me places and that can help me get use to actually driving for maybe around a year till I can afford a newer car,

but I was just wondering am I being naive? Like is it actually possible to spend that money on a car and actually have it running for a year or so? Because I live in a bad post code insurance is REALLY HIGH so this also made me want a cheaper car even more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiD93)
    Hey guys! So I passed my driving test a few days ago and I've been looking around for cars now and at the moment it seems like I want to pay around 500 to 700 maybe pushing to 800 on my first car, now this is obviously really cheap but i mainly just want to have a runaround car that can get me places and that can help me get use to actually driving for maybe around a year till I can afford a newer car,

but I was just wondering am I being naive? Like is it actually possible to spend that money on a car and actually have it running for a year or so? Because I live in a bad post code insurance is REALLY HIGH so this also made me want a cheaper car even more
    Yes, you will be able to get a small second hand car on that budget, e.g a ka.

ReputationRep:
    Micra, Yaris, Suzuki, Daihatsu. In that order. Buy on condition rather than age or mileage, be aware of low mileage examples as they have probably sat for a while and accumulated rust (the only thing that kills small Japanese cars), anything below ~5k a year rings alarm bells in my book.

£600 will buy you a clean late 90s to early 00s k11 (the best shape, for reliability and style imo) Micra, get one with the longest MOT possible.

ReputationRep:
    At this budget all the "desirable" little hatchback will have been worked to death.
    You need to look for a midsized car owned by an old fart. You're looking for the holy grail - the 1 owner car with 30k on the clock that's lived in a garage from new for 15 years.

This is bangernomics motoring. You're after low miles, good nic, LONG MOT test.

ReputationRep:
    Here we go...
    This is the sort of thing you need to be looking for...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...Cnew&logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    My £500 punto lasted me 4 years with nothing major going wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever car you go for, just check for rust! No.1 thing to check for (obviously other than making sure it drives). Getting your car welded in some cases could cost nearly the amount that you paid for the car! This invloves you getting underneath the car and inspecting it for any rust patches, or holes!!

ReputationRep:
    Nice little fiesta here with plenty less than 30k...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge=1&logcode=p
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Micra, Yaris, Suzuki, Daihatsu. In that order. Buy on condition rather than age or mileage, be aware of low mileage examples as they have probably sat for a while and accumulated rust (the only thing that kills small Japanese cars), anything below ~5k a year rings alarm bells in my book.

£600 will buy you a clean late 90s to early 00s k11 (the best shape, for reliability and style imo) Micra, get one with the longest MOT possible.
    I agree.
    You can get decent cars for that money. The micra being the best one (i had one myself- they are bomb proof).
    I can totally see where you are coming from in not wanting to spend too much on your first car- due to being a new driver, possibly getting the odd scratch etc.
    The only cars in that budget i wouldnt recommend are fiat puntos (had one myself- mega unreliable) and KA's (dont even go there).

ReputationRep:
    buy a 1.0 renault clio or vauxhall corsa from autotrader but get a nice looking cheap one cheap meaning no more then 200 try to get one for 100 tho when u buy your £100 car put a for sale sign on it for 200 when someone calls they will try to get it down to a lower price , drop it to 150 buy another 100 car n repeat i know people who done this and now drive 2013-14 cars just by doing it this but look for good deals like a 2006-10 someone who need quick money then take your time selling it with your road tax always pay monthly i got a 2008 golf plus for £400 its a good way to make money and get a good car when doing it.

Or buy a 2012 vw up the is 2 on autotrader for 2000

(Original post by TiD93)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiD93)

This is impossible.

Tax and insurance alone will put you down £1-1.5k, on a good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    This is impossible.

Tax and insurance alone will put you down £1-1.5k, on a good day.
    Well I clearly meant 500-700 on the actual car itself, this doesn't include anything else, c'mon use some logic ay?

And just for the record, 2000 is the minimum I'm getting quoted for insurance atm

ReputationRep:
    A Nissan Micra or Honda Civic (old shapes are also good)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TiD93)
    Well I clearly meant 500-700 on the actual car itself, this doesn't include anything else, c'mon use some logic ay?

And just for the record, 2000 is the minimum I'm getting quoted for insurance atm
    I would say that for a £500 car, you will spend £500 on the rest - MOT, repairs, fuel etc.

As you go for more expensive cars, you go for cheaper running costs.

If you're in a position where you don't have lots of initial capital, but have some regular income, why don't you consider a lease? Some leases come with insurance deals. Lease a basic car with insurance at £150 a month, and just tide by that to get you from A-B until you have the capital to afford yourself something more "durable". In my experience, the "cheap but durable" cars will be in the £3-5k range.

ReputationRep:
    I know my brother got an old 2002 Ford Fiesta for about £750. He isn't much of a petrol head etc, so he didn't take care of it whatsoever. And it lasted him almost three years. Only reason it didn't last longer was because he crashed it in the snow (not really his fault under the circumstances).

So going of that, I'd easily recommend a Ford Fiesta. I rarely hear of problems with them, nice little reliable cars!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.