Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so my Language Investigation coursework is on the way in witch crime narrative non-fiction is structured and it's presentation of gender. My texts are 3 extracts from Chapter 5 of Love You to Death, Darling by Wensley Clarkson, and each extract is the first 13 sentences of the introduction of each person (murderer, victim and accomplice/lover).I've already done a section on the presentation of the audience and author, but am struggling with the rest - presentation of gender stereotypes, discourse structure, and use of semantics. I'm finding it hard to do the analysis and tie in theory without just writing a description of the texts.

The deadline is the 23rd March.

Any help would be great.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by phoebe.ab)
    Hey, so my Language Investigation coursework is on the way in witch crime narrative non-fiction is structured and it's presentation of gender. My texts are 3 extracts from Chapter 5 of Love You to Death, Darling by Wensley Clarkson, and each extract is the first 13 sentences of the introduction of each person (murderer, victim and accomplice/lover).I've already done a section on the presentation of the audience and author, but am struggling with the rest - presentation of gender stereotypes, discourse structure, and use of semantics. I'm finding it hard to do the analysis and tie in theory without just writing a description of the texts.

Any help would be great.
    Well do you know anything about form of non-literary fiction and narratology? If you don't, it's no wonder you're struggling.

I've never heard of those texts before. How about you just focus on the presentation of gender instead? I feel as though narrative structure has no play in how gender is focused upon in the texts. You should perhaps look at how language is used to portray a male killer to that of a female killer? Or how language is used to create sympathy for the victim maybe? There's many angles to focus on, but with picking something of a literary text, it makes it harder to write a linguistic study rather than a literary one.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phoebe.ab)

Any help would be great.
    Hello

Have you looked into lexis as such? Discourse is a really good one as its a novel, so there'll be no end to point out! :P I've just recently finished my language coursework, but I did the representation of terrorism within the media - it was difficult, but I got there in the end! I've no doubt that there will be a lot of emotive language within those parts, particularly if its about murder and the like. Language theories and theorists are extremely hard to link to the text, I think i only ended up doing fairclough and synthetic personalization. I would say that you also need to link it to context as well, particularly if it has an important influence on the text itself.

If you need any help at all, just let me know I'l try to assist as much as I can!

P.S. I've never heard of that book, is it good?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.