Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on doing 1 part time (so 2 actual years) with the Open University, BA (HONS) in Languages (Spanish / French) after these 2 years would it be logical to beleive I would be accepted into a program at Edinburgh? I didn't really think so, knowing what a high ranking Uni it is, but if anyone knows the real answer, I'd appreciate the insight. Thank you very much.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Short answer is no, you almost certainly can't transfer. You might be able to use Open University credits to gain entry into year 1 (in effect using the OU as an alternative to A levels); I did this and I was accepted for a language degree. Check with the admissions tutor to be sure.

There some student finance issues to consider, basically you absolutely cannot study with the OU for longer than ONE YEAR or you won't receive a full tuition loan to do your degree at Edinburgh, or anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Short answer is no, you almost certainly can't transfer. You might be able to use Open University credits to gain entry into year 1 (in effect using the OU as an alternative to A levels); I did this and I was accepted for a language degree. Check with the admissions tutor to be sure.

There some student finance issues to consider, basically you absolutely cannot study with the OU for longer than ONE YEAR or you won't receive a full tuition loan to do your degree at Edinburgh, or anywhere else.
    I was planning on paying as I go, I did not want to take out any loans with the OU. Does tht make a difference?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Alexa.Pereira)
    I was planning on paying as I go, I did not want to take out any loans with the OU. Does tht make a difference?
    Unfortunately it doesn't matter if you pay for the OU yourself or take out loans. Student finance counts all previous study, no matter where you did it (UK or abroad) or who paid for it. But as long as you don't study for more than 1 year, you're fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.