The Student Room Group

A mature med students blog...

Hi all. Having been made an offer to study medicine at Southampton University this coming September I've been persuaded to start a blog on my journey.

I plan on doing 2/3 blogs a week and if you or anyone you know would be interested then please follow and comment and share.

You can find it at

www.newmedicblog.wordpress.com

Ta!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Alan1980
Hi all. Having been made an offer to study medicine at Southampton University this coming September I've been persuaded to start a blog on my journey.

I plan on doing 2/3 blogs a week and if you or anyone you know would be interested then please follow and comment and share.

You can find it at

Ta!

Interesting read, you're the third person I know of who has moved from the fire service to medicine.

Best of luck to you, I've considered starting a blog myself, but time is not always plentiful with children, I'm impressed you managed :biggrin:

I will try to keep reading, always inspiring to hear of other parents getting into medicine.
Reply 2
Original post by HanaGEM
Interesting read, you're the third person I know of who has moved from the fire service to medicine.

Best of luck to you, I've considered starting a blog myself, but time is not always plentiful with children, I'm impressed you managed :biggrin:

I will try to keep reading, always inspiring to hear of other parents getting into medicine.

Well that's encouraging to hear. How old were they and what stage are they at?

I hope I can keep finding the time haha.
Reply 3
They're both at the application stage, they're on here actually, @Gm1985 and @biggareth28, can't say I know anything more about them than that they both have offers to study GEM at Warwick I believe.
Reply 4
Original post by HanaGEM
They're both at the application stage, they're on here actually, @Gm1985 and @biggareth28, can't say I know anything more about them than that they both have offers to study GEM at Warwick I believe.

Ok great thanks. They're both going in as graduates which is a different perspective again. It'll be interesting to see how it differs.
Reply 5
Ok great thanks. They're both going in as graduates which is a different perspective again. It'll be interesting to see how it differs.

Hi Alan,

I'll be 31 by the time I start in September, from what I've picked up that'll be toward the top end of the scale of people there but by no means unusual.

I think my experience in the fire service has stood me in very good stead, certainly there was a lot of things to draw on at interview and it seemed to go down well enough when I did use it!

Like the blog, there's a lot in there that I can identify with...
Reply 6
Original post by HanaGEM

I've firmed Warwick so I'll be seeing you in September :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Gm1985
Hi Alan,

I'll be 31 by the time I start in September, from what I've picked up that'll be toward the top end of the scale of people there but by no means unusual.

I think my experience in the fire service has stood me in very good stead, certainly there was a lot of things to draw on at interview and it seemed to go down well enough when I did use it!

Like the blog, there's a lot in there that I can identify with...

My background helped me hugely without doubt.

Thanks, I bet there is!

New entry is up by the way 👍🏻
Congrats and sorry but I'd like to ask some questions: do students still stand a chance without maths a level? Do you need it?
Original post by geniequeen48
Congrats and sorry but I'd like to ask some questions: do students still stand a chance without maths a level? Do you need it?

Hey Genie :smile:

I've just got an offer at Durham (5 year course) as a graduate, and if you're going in as a graduate you absolutely don't need any specific a levels. You can apply to the 4 year courses at Warwick, Newcastle, Nottingham, Swansea and St George's without specific a levels I think.

anothermedicnohoper.wordpress.com
Reply 10
Hey I m an undergraduate in dentistry...i m planning on doing my masters in orthodontics..i need advice on ...where to study; in france or Germany?
Really nicely written mate.
Keep them coming :smile:
Original post by hellodave5
Really nicely written mate.
Keep them coming :smile:

Hear hear. I'm looking forward to following your progress!
Hi,
Sorry I was talking about undergraduate entry? Congratulations by the way :smile:
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
Hey Genie :smile:

I've just got an offer at Durham (5 year course) as a graduate, and if you're going in as a graduate you absolutely don't need any specific a levels. You can apply to the 4 year courses at Warwick, Newcastle, Nottingham, Swansea and St George's without specific a levels I think.

anothermedicnohoper.wordpress.com
Reply 14
Hi,
Sorry I was talking about undergraduate entry? Congratulations by the way :smile:

Maths seems to be one that counts highly in terms of how universities view it when measuring you against other people. But having spoken to several med students over the past year it is of little actual use during the degree. And the maths content of my access course which is level 3 will be of little to no use either...but is used to judge how academic you are as much as anything.
Maths seems to be one that counts highly in terms of how universities view it when measuring you against other people. But having spoken to several med students over the past year it is of little actual use during the degree. And the maths content of my access course which is level 3 will be of little to no use either...but is used to judge how academic you are as much as anything.

Could I still stand a chance/stand out if I don't do it? So for example english lit is viewed as hard and is respected whilst maths is viewed as hard and is respected as well.
Reply 16
Could I still stand a chance/stand out if I don't do it? So for example english lit is viewed as hard and is respected whilst maths is viewed as hard and is respected as well.

I wouldn't want to answer you definitively as in all honesty I don't know. Different university admissions departments will likely view everything slightly differently. My gut feeling is as long as you have the three sciences plus another "difficult" subject you'd be ok. But I think the best advice is to call the universities you are interested in and talk to them.
Okay thanks.
I wouldn't want to answer you definitively as in all honesty I don't know. Different university admissions departments will likely view everything slightly differently. My gut feeling is as long as you have the three sciences plus another "difficult" subject you'd be ok. But I think the best advice is to call the universities you are interested in and talk to them.
Reply 18
Hi all, sorry for the bump but I've been keeping up with this.

If anyone is interested in a mature/med student blog please read and share if you enjoy!

Thanks!
Reply 19
Hi all, sorry for the bump but I've been keeping up with this.

If anyone is interested in a mature/med student blog please read and share if you enjoy!

Thanks!

Thanks for bumping this! I read your first few posts when you started this thread but forgot to bookmark the blog. Keep up the blogging, it's an interesting read following your journey :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending