Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alan1980,

Have commented on your blog page but just to say best of luck! I'm 37, have 2 kids aged 6 & 1, a husband and a mortgage and also a 5-year offer from Kings! Good luck to you, scary but exciting times 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan1980)
    Hi all, sorry for the bump but I've been keeping up with this.

If anyone is interested in a mature/med student blog please read and share if you enjoy!

www.newmedicblog.wordpress.com

Thanks!
    How come you have decided to sign a tenancy agreement as opposed to halls? It's relatively unusual for freshers in Southampton as I believe there is plenty of hall space of varying ££ available. Is it simply as you are a mature student? On the topic of accommodation, make sure you see evidence that your deposit has been placed into a deposit protection scheme. They must tell you which company they have used and provide a reference number so that you can look it up yourselves to confirm this online. Definitely worth doing as I know a few friends to have troublesome landlords.

Enjoy the summer holidays whilst you can

- Soton Med Student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lionheartat20)
    How come you have decided to sign a tenancy agreement as opposed to halls? It's relatively unusual for freshers in Southampton as I believe there is plenty of hall space of varying ££ available. Is it simply as you are a mature student? On the topic of accommodation, make sure you see evidence that your deposit has been placed into a deposit protection scheme. They must tell you which company they have used and provide a reference number so that you can look it up yourselves to confirm this online. Definitely worth doing as I know a few friends to have troublesome landlords.

Enjoy the summer holidays whilst you can

- Soton Med Student
    Hey man. Yes I'm just not convinced I'd get on with halls being twice as old as everyone. I mean I'd be fine if I needed to but a house would be a better fit I'm sure. Plus I'm moving in with 3 others starting BM5 together which is great...we are all mature students.

I will lol.

What year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan1980)
    Hey man. Yes I'm just not convinced I'd get on with halls being twice as old as everyone. I mean I'd be fine if I needed to but a house would be a better fit I'm sure. Plus I'm moving in with 3 others starting BM5 together which is great...we are all mature students.

I will lol.

What year are you in?
    About to start 4th year in just under 3 weeks

Content wise, know the lecture slides & anatomy booklet for the first couple of years and you'll be fine. They are pretty fair when it comes to exam questions rather than testing us on things we have never ever covered - you hear some horror stories from other uni's.

ReputationRep:

new blog entry up!

ReputationRep:
    Another new entry...it's getting very real now!

ReputationRep:
    Shameless bump!

ReputationRep:
    www.newmedicblog.wordpress.com new entry up!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a few years off being a "med student" although hopefully my time will come.
    I need to study and do my GCSE's unfortunately, as during year 11 I was ill and had a severely disabled sister so never sat my exams. I'm nearly 25, other than GCSE's would any of you recommend another college course that would further my chances on being accepted into university? And volunteering work?. TIA and best of luck to everybody.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alphabomb)
    Hi, I'm a few years off being a "med student" although hopefully my time will come.
    I need to study and do my GCSE's unfortunately, as during year 11 I was ill and had a severely disabled sister so never sat my exams. I'm nearly 25, other than GCSE's would any of you recommend another college course that would further my chances on being accepted into university? And volunteering work?. TIA and best of luck to everybody.
    You may want to look into Access to Medicine courses which were designed for mature students who have had a gap in their studies and/or didn't do A-levels. You will, however, still likely need to have some GCSEs and you should check with the admissions departments of individual medical schools as to which access course/s they accept and what GCSEs they will require you to have.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.