Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    do you think guns should be banned in America?
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by scnotcrazy)
    Personally, I feel like the gun laws there should be similar to those of the UK. People should be allowed to have them if they have a genuine purpose for them. There's so many deaths in the US caused by guns, they're too easily accessible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Personally, I feel like the gun laws there should be similar to those of the UK. People should be allowed to have them if they have a genuine purpose for them. There's so many deaths in the US caused by guns, they're too easily accessible.
    I agree when you hear all about people going into cinemas and schools and shooting innocent people is so terrible

ReputationRep:
    It's too late for a ban to be effective. There are hundreds of millions of handguns, shotguns, rifles, assault rifles in the country - a ban wouldn't change that.

ReputationRep:
    but if you could would you?

ReputationRep:
    but if you could would you?
    It's irrelevant. Why even waste time with a hypothetical like that?

ReputationRep:
    because it is a serious issue that obviously has a lot of opinions and it is terrible what is happening to innocent people who haven't even done anything to anyone to get shot at or killed

ReputationRep:
    Of course I think they should, but with something like 300 million owned firearms in the US, it's a bit late for that now unfortunately, you can't just ban them and expect them to go away, it's going to be a long time before anything changes even if you do bring in stricter laws.

ReputationRep:
    I agree when you hear all about people going into cinemas and schools and shooting innocent people is so terrible
    To the two of you:

most of the "easily accessible guns" has absolutely ZERO to do
    with gun laws.

Those guns are illegal and dealt on the streets. No law will prevent them, it's like a virus. Can a law prevent a virus from happening? No. It can provide standard protocol on how to deal with viruses once they appear, but it's still a rather futile gesture.

And the ol' politicers know that. "Background checks?" How naive :ahee:

No one who legally buys guns are these maniacal perps shooting places up. I strongly believe that. It's disgruntled teens who ordered or borrowed them illegally, or who stole it, or it was given to them from someone who got the gun in those ways; or they simply found it laying around the streets or at their dad's house.

The gov't HAS to secure ports and has to make sure they're not being smuggled in.
    And they HAVE TO create official negotiations with foreign countries on controlling what leaves.
    But no they're too lazy to do that
    and too scared of the NRA

SO they just blame it on gun laws. :bored:
    And speculating outsiders like you two believe that's the reason.

(Original post by Drewski)
    It's too late for a ban to be effective. There are hundreds of millions of handguns, shotguns, rifles, assault rifles in the country - a ban wouldn't change that.
    Exactly. The NRA/National Rifle Association (rich as f*ck) simply wouldn't allow it. Or the gov't knows how rich they are and refuses to effectively and proactivrly oppose them, at least the current "Administration" under Obama. It's not "gun laws and rights" that prevent modification, it's simply the NRA.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of a waste of time, really. Besides, the people would never allow it. There are too many people who don't want a ban. Best thing they can do now is make it harder to get.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need purpose to own a shotgun.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    are you American?

do you mean all guns or only the ones you don't like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's irrelevant. Why even waste time with a hypothetical like that?
    Because this is a forum for debate and discussion.
    Sorry but you can't really complain about wasting time when you're on a student forum!

It's an interesting point, a debate out the ideology/principle of gun ownership rather than the practicalities of it.

ReputationRep:
    No, I think there should be more guns.
    After all, every time there's a huge shooting incident, the NRA and Republicans tell us that the problem was that there weren't enough guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Because this is a forum for debate and discussion.
    Sorry but you can't really complain about wasting time when you're on a student forum!

It's an interesting point, a debate out the ideology/principle of gun ownership rather than the practicalities of it.
    Debate and discussion, sure, but why debate an irrelevant point in an otherwise serious thread?

ReputationRep:
    Ladies and gents, ladies and gents
    BaconandSauce DiddyDec Drewski iEthan Howard

because it is a serious issue that obviously has a lot of opinions and it is terrible what is happening to innocent people who haven't even done anything to anyone to get shot at or killed
    Do you know the United States has state sovereignty. Each state can do what it wants as long as it doesn't usurp federal constitutional laws.

Which means that Georgia for example,
    has made it legal to carry firearms in public even though people feel this is a very slavery-esque image. When the redneck master trotted around waving his gun to shoot on sight.

So Democrats who are mainly black and liberal whites of course, will refute the image and will demand FEDERAL law to disable laws like that.

THEN there's "Stand Your Ground" which is mainly in Confederate states/Southern states. It's what allowed Zimmerman to get away with killing Martin.

So once again the Demos will oppose, but that one's understandable.

So the reason the gun laws can't do sh*t is because the states can, and the NRA is rich, and there are so many factors that create getaway cars for racist policies and laws, that the Administration is too pussy to confront. Or that Congress is to racist to acknowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsjenner)
    THEN there's "Stand Your Ground" which is mainly in Confederate states/Southern states. It's what allowed Zimmerman to get away with killing Martin
    Actually, Stand your Ground defence was never used by the defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Actually, Stand your Ground defence was never used by the defence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes it was, even the Mayor of Seminole County where it happened mentioned it, that's actually how it became a mainstream political term. I even had to do a paper on it.

ReputationRep:
    In theory I agree they should have gun control legislation similar to that which we have here.

In practice I think it's a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted. Even if all new firearms were subject to tighter restrictions, it would take at least a generation - if not two - for it to have an appreciable impact, IMO.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.