Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It is a relevent point and if you want to complain about how it is irrelevant then you shouldnt comment on it and i have seen a programme an it is called
    Bowling for columbine or something like that and it talks about how easy it is to get a gun
    no im scottish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsjenner)
    Again you are blatantly dodging the question.

Which sources do you find credible? You're not answering because if I find a source that says Stand Your Ground was used (don't worry I will), you'll look even dumber than usual.
    I'm not too fussed about the source as long as it is vaguely credible. Just provide something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scnotcrazy)
    It is a relevent point and if you want to complain about how it is irrelevant then you shouldnt comment on it and i have seen a programme an it is called
    Bowling for columbine or something like that and it talks about how easy it is to get a gun
    no im scottish
    I think this argument is going to gradually get less impactful with the development of 3-d printing.

"Using instructions found on the Internet, Harris and Klebold constructed a total of 99 improvised explosive devices of various designs and sizes"

These 99 IEDs could be much deadlier than the firearms they used if done correctly and you can't ban the majority of components because they're simple chemicals and the recipes, not even considering informational rights, would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to censor.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at having to use wikipedia.
    And no I aced it.

Anyway I'll just accept you don't know what you're talking about because you probably don't, you're another speculator. Stand Your Ground was the main defense; the reason it WAS "relevant" is BECAUSE he claims to have been restrained. Stand Your Ground is a Floridian extension to self defense, dum-dum.
    DiddyDec is right; if you accept Zimmerman's version of events he had a right to defend himself regardless of stand your ground, whereas if you reject Zimmerman's version he probably had no right to use the gun regardless of stand your ground laws.

I watched the trial and don't recall stand your ground even being mentioned. It might have been, but certainly played no important part in the acquittal.

Also worth pointing out that England effectively has a "stand your ground" law, as there is no duty to retreat in England.

ReputationRep:
    I think guns are needed to protect us from governments. If you look at some of the powerful people pushing gun control they are not doing it for your protection folks.

You know America is looking more and more like a tyranny but British people are so short sighted on gun control.

There are so many guns in America I don't think even in a hundred years tough gun control will stop much of the crime. Yeah shootings happen by crazy people but they often have mental health problems maybe that should be tackled.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it was, even the Mayor of Seminole County where it happened mentioned it, that's actually how it became a mainstream political term. I even had to do a paper on it.
    I live in Seminole County. Counties don't have mayors (it's a municipal position, not a county one)

ReputationRep:
    The fifty American states are separate sovereigns,[1] with their own state constitutions, state governments, and state courts. All states have a legislative branch which enacts state statutes, an executive branch that promulgates state regulations pursuant to statutory authorization, and a judicial branch that applies, interprets, and occasionally overturns both state statutes and regulations, as well as local ordinances. They retain plenary power to make laws covering anything not preempted by the federal Constitution, federal statutes, or international treaties ratified by the federal Senate. Normally,state supreme courts are the final interpreters of state institutions and state law, unless their interpretation itself presents a federal issue,

Since you like wiki so much

now tell me why gay marriage isn't a federal right? But is legal in some states. Since States have no say?

Same sex marriage is a Federal right since June 26 2015. Supreme Court ruling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scnotcrazy)
    do you think guns should be banned in America?
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Personally, I feel like the gun laws there should be similar to those of the UK. People should be allowed to have them if they have a genuine purpose for them. There's so many deaths in the US caused by guns, they're too easily accessible.
    I think the current UK laws need a little changing. They're too strict in some ways, but also too lax in others.

I don't think that Semi Automatics should be limited to .22 only.
    I do think that magazines should be limited to 10 rounds.
    I do think we should have more options available for target shooting.
    I don't think that if your licence is purely for target shooting at the range, you should be able to keep at home. It's unnecessary risk. Each range should have dedicated secure storage facilities for its members. If your licence is for hunting, that's different. But if you have a gun purely for range use, then it's not right that one should be able to just take it wherever they like and have it at home.
    I think we should be able to have handguns, but on the above condition. Handguns aren't suitable for hunting, and a section 5 is hard to come by. But you should be able to use them on a range, providing they're kept on the range. I believe the only way to do this with current legislation is a Section 7.3 licence, which usually applies to antiques (although I've heard that some people have got Springfield XDs and Glock 17s on it, due to them being trialled by the british army counting as "historical significance"). And even then, I don't know of any 7.3 ranges other than Bisley.

Guns control in america differs from state to state. California and New York are getting pretty good regulations I think. But the blue states are well behind the times.

In an additional note, I think that british police should be issued with bullet resistant vests, especially if they're on patrol in high gun crime areas. I often see police where I am carrying sidearms, but maybe that's because I'm out in the countryside, they're already firearms officers and they're a long way from ARV backup if they need it.

(And, yes you can use a gun for self defence in the UK, just clearing that up.
    You can't get a licence for self defence, but you can use a gun for self defence, if it is reasonable force. The laws on self defence clearly state "any means necessary", within reasonable force. So I would say, personally, that if someone is attacking your home with a firearm, then you are within your rights to defend it with appropriate force.)

ReputationRep:
    The gov't just needs to say "look, we're changing the 2nd Amendment/the right to have firearms.
    That was initially for the military. Not you guys."
    Militia, not military.

And since that time the Federal Supreme Court, the arbiter of Constitutional interpretation has held that the Second Amendment applies to individual citizens. As the Supreme Court's authority arises from the Constitution that's the end of the story.

So the government cannot simply "just say"........."look we're just changing the 2nd Amendment"

Besides, have you ANY IDEA how difficult it is to change parts of the Constitution? I recommend that you go to your local library and borrow a copy of the US Constitution and actually read it before you say another word on the subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.