Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I've realised I want to study medicine BUT... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi-
    I've realised that I want to study medicine; I know it's a little late BUT I've been thinking about it since the summer and decided that it is something I really want to do. I got 4 A*s, 3 As and 4 Bs at GCSE.
    The issue is I'm currently year 12 doing Psychology, Politics and English. I'm expected As in everything but realise I can't do medicine with those subjects. Therefore I want to retake year 12 (at a different college, as mine don't allow retakes of the year). However, a lot of requirements state A levels gained within a two year period will only be accepted. I assume that means that I can move college and start over and because I will have gained my A levels in Chemistry and Bio (will restart Psychology+English) in the two years (2016-18)... or does that mean that I wont have a hope because I have already been in sixth form for a year?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristaWinchester)
    Hi-
    I've realised that I want to study medicine; I know it's a little late BUT I've been thinking about it since the summer and decided that it is something I really want to do. I got 4 A*s, 3 As and 4 Bs at GCSE.
    The issue is I'm currently year 12 doing Psychology, Politics and English. I'm expected As in everything but realise I can't do medicine with those subjects. Therefore I want to retake year 12 (at a different college, as mine don't allow retakes of the year). However, a lot of requirements state A levels gained within a two year period will only be accepted. I assume that means that I can move college and start over and because I will have gained my A levels in Chemistry and Bio (will restart Psychology+English) in the two years (2016-18)... or does that mean that I wont have a hope because I have already been in sixth form for a year?
    Thank you!
    You'll be perfect for medicine with a foundation year. The foundation year is specifically for students who chose the wrong subjects, mature students or those who are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Quite a few universities offer this and would save you retaking a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Think you are fine. imo it just means you need to have done your a level within 2 years. I would check with a few of the places you intend to apply to. good luck.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Hunnybeebee)
    You'll be perfect for medicine with a foundation year. The foundation year is specifically for students who chose the wrong subjects, mature students or those who are from disadvantaged backgrounds. Quite a few universities offer this and would save you retaking a levels

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This could be a good move if it gets you an advantage on being offered a place for having studied there already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    This could be a good move if it gets you an advantage on being offered a place for having studied there already.
    I think the foundation year for medicine is an undergraduate course I believe. Or am I getting confused? Can't figure out about studying somewhere already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dundee offer a 'pre-medical year', for students with high but non-sciency A levels. You apply through UCAS like you would for another university course. If you do OK in the pre-medical year, you can proceed to the first year of the MBChB without having to reapply or interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KristaWinchester)
    Hi-
    Thank you!
    You can still apply for medicine with those subjects but only at certain universities.
    Check all the foundation courses available to you to see which one you are eligible too with ur subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same! This page is really helpful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...icine_Programs

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.