Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, everyone! I am studying Econ and Fin(Year 1) in the u of strathclyde business school but I will possibly transfer to Durham(90%) to study Economics because I was rejected by UCL and LSE within 24 hours. So frustrated about that!! But still waiting for offer from the MA Econ with Finance(Year2) in Edinburgh. There are a couple of questions, hope you guys can answer me, thank you!
    First, does Durham's econ is better than Edinburgh's one?
    Second, if you aspire to work in the ibanks' front office in the UK, can Durham's prestige help me a lot? Whether Durham is one of their target schools?or semi-target? How far the difference between target school and semi-target school?
    Third, Is Durham's econ course theoretical-based as it is BA rather than BSc? If I decide to study Economics further in Oxbridge or LSE(again), would it be adversely affect my application?
    In addition, I fully understand that Durham is renowned for its quality in local, but how about the Business School?
    Finally, could you let me know whether Economics is a subject which has a special status in academics as compared to Accounting and Finance or Business Management in the UK?
    Thank you very much!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kelvinip)
    Hi, everyone! I am studying Econ and Fin(Year 1) in the u of strathclyde business school but I will possibly transfer to Durham(90%) to study Economics because I was rejected by UCL and LSE within 24 hours. So frustrated about that!! But still waiting for offer from the MA Econ with Finance(Year2) in Edinburgh. There are a couple of questions, hope you guys can answer me, thank you!
    First, does Durham's econ is better than Edinburgh's one?
    Second, if you aspire to work in the ibanks' front office in the UK, can Durham's prestige help me a lot? Whether Durham is one of their target schools?or semi-target? How far the difference between target school and semi-target school?
    Third, Is Durham's econ course theoretical-based as it is BA rather than BSc? If I decide to study Economics further in Oxbridge or LSE(again), would it be adversely affect my application?
    In addition, I fully understand that Durham is renowned for its quality in local, but how about the Business School?
    Finally, could you let me know whether Economics is a subject which has a special status in academics as compared to Accounting and Finance or Business Management in the UK?
    Thank you very much!
    1. Yes

2. It's a strong semi-target that some banks visit but not all and sends in a fair amount per year to the industry. The difference is pretty significant but won't really matter too much if you're a strong candidate. Case in point, my friend at Notts (also a strong semi target) has landed 7 spring weeks and just got elected as the pres of their finance soc.

3. It's a 'BA' in name. It's merely tradition on Durham's end to call it such - the course is still very much theoretical in nature

4. I don't see why it would? Bot universities are strong and would give you a decent chance at gaining a masters place. I will add, if you're main aim is IB try to focus your sights on getting into it straight out of uni - a masters is usually a massive money sink (upwards of £25-40k for some masters in finance/management) - it should be a last resort for if you don't manage to land anything.

5. Business school is ok, not the best of the best in the UK but still pretty good

6. Why should it matter if it has a 'special status'? Your ultimate aim is to go to uni for a subject you find interesting and then either pursue a career afterwards or go into academia. However, in normal TSR fashion Econ is indeed seen as more 'respectable' (hate that word).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply!
    In fact, I have applied roughly 10 insight programs in Strathclyde(so called No.1 Finance in UK according to Complete University Ranking, all marketing things) but being rejected by 8 big banks), still waiting for the back office position in Morgan Stanley and Baillie Gilfford. I am convinced that the main issue must be the matter of target schools. So, I choose to leave, without doubt!
    I know BA Econ is very theoretical but less mathematical. Generally, ibanks prefer to some applicants with strong mathematical skills more? Just worried about whether it would pose a adverse effect on myself, despite that they say they welcome students from different disciplines).
    Also, do you know which banks especially target durham's students?
    Thank you for your answer!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you for your reply!
    In fact, I have applied roughly 10 insight programs in Strathclyde(so called No.1 Finance in UK according to Complete University Ranking, all marketing things) but being rejected by 8 big banks), still waiting for the back office position in Morgan Stanley and Baillie Gilfford. I am convinced that the main issue must be the matter of target schools. So, I choose to leave, without doubt!
    I know BA Econ is very theoretical but less mathematical. Generally, ibanks prefer to some applicants with strong mathematical skills more? Just worried about whether it would pose a adverse effect on myself, despite that they say they welcome students from different disciplines).
    Also, do you know which banks especially target durham's students?
    Thank you for your answer!
    For IBD? Where you the most maths you do is addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents and basic series? No

For vanilla derivatives trading? Not really, you just have to be good at quick mental maths.

For exotic derivatives trading? Yes

Case in point, the lady I shadowed at RBS' Rates Derivatives desk did Econ at Durham.

They're a semi-target, some banks like to target Durham students, some don't. But you shouldn't have any worries getting interviews if you have the prerequisite background.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    btw, why did you say that Durham's econ is better than Edinburgh's one, ranking??
    Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    btw, why did you say that Durham's econ is better than Edinburgh's one, ranking??
    Thank you!
    Nah, they tend to take on more 'able' students on average and it looks like Durham's course is more interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking about whether I should change the offer from Economics to PPE because after reading the course table and thorough consideration, I do not want to learn the same things once again and I think that there would be more resources and care for PPE students from the university, is that right?Also, it is interested in Politics and international relations as well as little enthusiasm on logic. To grasp as much things as possible during these three years, do you think it is much better for me to shift to PPE but I am quite worried about the massive reading in ENG(which is not my first language). Does this course really tough and harsh like law?In addition, does PPE specifically ''train'' students to be politicians, MPs or Prime Minister?Finally, I know that the quality of PPE course depends on the quality of professors whether they can enlighten students. So, aside from Oxford, is Durham the best place to go? Thank you!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.