Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've not been doing any different exercises, but over the last month i've had excruciating back pain.

Before the pain, i was (and had been for years) 5 feet 9 inches.

This morning i measured myself, and (still having SOME pain) i'm 5 feet 11 inches?

How is this possible?

(i haven't made a mistake in the measurements)

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you didn't wake up with your shoes on?

ReputationRep:
    40s? :eek:

Surely not possible.

I have heard of guys in their early to mid 20s growing a couple of inches.

Intensive exercise can increase HGH levels quite dramatically.

ReputationRep:
    I very much doubt it!

ReputationRep:
    If you measure yourself in the morning you will be taller than measuring yourself in the afternoon or evening. This is due to the compression of this thing at the base of your spine which decompresses when you sleep. This is why when the tallest man in the world is measured it is done in the morning when they wake up. I'm pretty sure this is the most plausible explanation - so measure yourself this evening and see what height you are.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it might have something to do with the exercises i've adopted (as well as weight lifting).

I have been doing (since Christmas) a Chinese form of exercise called Qigong. This is supposed to stretch muscles and ligaments, and inprove blood flow and spinal alignment - so maybe i've just been walking wrong for years? (i've never been "hunched" in the way i walk, though) It's a mistery to me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    What's wrong with your back?

You didn't put 2 inches onto your height.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You are taller in the morning, and there is some evidence that losing very large amounts of weight can make you a little taller but I'm not aware of anything that would have you gain two inches other than a vast improvement on what must have been rather atrocious posture.

ReputationRep:
    Is that how you spell "increased" now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mall-cop)
    Is that how you spell "increased" now.
    I know right! I was about to say that😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.