Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've got offers from Newcastle, Lancaster and Southampton for various linguistics combinations (Ling and Business at Newcastle, Ling and Psychology at Lancaster and Eng Lang and Ling with Psychology at Southampton)

Now I just feel really confused, they're all ranked highly for linguistics but it changes from table to table and on the overall table still confuses me as Lancaster is ranked highest but I think Newcastle & Southampton have better overall employment rates and a better reputation.

I just dunno what to do, if you were in my position what would you do and where would you go?!

Disclaimer* I know it's my own choice and ultimately it's down to work experience in regards to making a success of my degree and getting a job at the end, I've already done that to get these offers as my grades are way below their atypical offers but my first year at Essex combined with my work experience has gotten me unconditionals. I could really just do with an outsiders perspective because my family are bias towards Newcastle, my friends think Lancaster and my best friend thinks Southampton as he goes there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanC55)
    Hey,

I've got offers from Newcastle, Lancaster and Southampton for various linguistics combinations (Ling and Business at Newcastle, Ling and Psychology at Lancaster and Eng Lang and Ling with Psychology at Southampton)

Now I just feel really confused, they're all ranked highly for linguistics but it changes from table to table and on the overall table still confuses me as Lancaster is ranked highest but I think Newcastle & Southampton have better overall employment rates and a better reputation.

I just dunno what to do, if you were in my position what would you do and where would you go?!

Disclaimer* I know it's my own choice and ultimately it's down to work experience in regards to making a success of my degree and getting a job at the end, I've already done that to get these offers as my grades are way below their atypical offers but my first year at Essex combined with my work experience has gotten me unconditionals. I could really just do with an outsiders perspective because my family are bias towards Newcastle, my friends think Lancaster and my best friend thinks Southampton as he goes there.
    The difference between these universities is not very large. Over recent years ;Lancaster has been the highest in the league tables but to be honest you should not be basing your decision on league tables or reputation. You need to ask yourself where does the course suit me best an where will I settle easiest. Do you want a city university. Newcastle is based in the city centre. Do you want an out of town campus university with a college system. In that case Lancaster would suit you best. Do you want to be in a bigger city Newcastle and Southampton or a few miles outside a small town Lancaster. How far or close to home do you want to be. Every person will have different ideas and you should go where it suits YOU best.
    You could try visiting all 3 before deciding..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    The difference between these universities is not very large. Over recent years ;Lancaster has been the highest in the league tables but to be honest you should not be basing your decision on league tables or reputation. You need to ask yourself where does the course suit me best an where will I settle easiest. Do you want a city university. Newcastle is based in the city centre. Do you want an out of town campus university with a college system. In that case Lancaster would suit you best. Do you want to be in a bigger city Newcastle and Southampton or a few miles outside a small town Lancaster. How far or close to home do you want to be. Every person will have different ideas and you should go where it suits YOU best.
    You could try visiting all 3 before deciding..
    Thank you for your advice, that was awesome. So choosing one over the other won't affect me in the long run employment wise? I just don't want to mess this up

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this will help but I live in Lancaster and honestly Lancaster is a great university! Most people say they would go to Lancaster if they didn't live here already. If the fact that it is a out of town campus university bothers you it shouldn't as it's really easy access to the City center (it takes 5 minutes on the bus that comes every 5 minutes!). Despite this, Lancaster itself is not a huge city, comparing it to Newcastle the night life is no where near as good but it's not bad by any stretch. Iv'e got some friends who go to Lancaster University and are really enjoying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHungryStudent)
    I don't know if this will help but I live in Lancaster and honestly Lancaster is a great university! Most people say they would go to Lancaster if they didn't live here already. If the fact that it is a out of town campus university bothers you it shouldn't as it's really easy access to the City center (it takes 5 minutes on the bus that comes every 5 minutes!). Despite this, Lancaster itself is not a huge city, comparing it to Newcastle the night life is no where near as good but it's not bad by any stretch. Iv'e got some friends who go to Lancaster University and are really enjoying it.
    That actually helped loads buddy, I'm going to the open day soon but I'm starting to swing towards Lancaster

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.