Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am talking about people who don't work or who only work part time in a shop? If you want to go to Australia for a year you are going to need at least £10,000 to live on. In places like America you cannot work.

I just wonder where these people get all the money from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frostyjoe)
    I am talking about people who don't work or who only work part time in a shop? If you want to go to Australia for a year you are going to need at least £10,000 to live on. In places like America you cannot work.

I just wonder where these people get all the money from?
    Most people do paid volunteering visits to countries, some may get money from their parents and as you stated others earn some money to go to a country not to far away.

ReputationRep:
    1. They're rich
    2. They saved up to afford living
    3. They have scholarship
    4. They live in a relative or friend

ReputationRep:
    At my University (Newman) I have spoken to our international officer about how people afford to go abroad. Yes, a part of it is about saving up, but depending on the country you want to go to the University may have funds for you to use as spending money. Of course this will require your own researching, but don't feel threatened to go abroad because you think you won't be able to afford it. Come up with a savings plan and talk to your universities international officer. They are normally the people who can help you with the planning side of things. You could even do a placement abroad (if you were going to my uni- don't know about other uni's), and spend a semester abroad, studying and doing your placement. Just don't give up your search- that's my main advice.

ReputationRep:
    Mummy and daddy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.