Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've recently got all my offers for studying Graphic Design in 2016 (Undergraduate Course). My top two choices are great - Loughborough and Edinburgh, and the offers are achievable as well (ABB and BBB respectively).

I've been debating a long time for which of the two to put as my firm choice. After some thought, I thought of putting Edinburgh because of its great reputation and the good things I've heard about it, along with the city itself. Life in Edinburgh from what I've heard is amazing, and since I'm going to be studying somewhere for 3 or 4 years, the life I'm going to have during my student years is pretty important. In terms of a city itself, Edinburgh seems to beat Loughborough.

However one thing is casting alot of doubt - the University of Edinburgh seems to rank really low on student satisfaction, yet Loughborough sweeps the tables (won 1st again this year). Now I'm thinking that it doesn't matter how amazing a city is - if the course itself isn't satisfying at an institution, then why go there in the first place?

How accurate are these student satisfaction rankings? Are they worthy of being taken into consideration when eliminating a potentially very strong university choice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcsazy)
    I've recently got all my offers for studying Graphic Design in 2016 (Undergraduate Course). My top two choices are great - Loughborough and Edinburgh, and the offers are achievable as well (ABB and BBB respectively).

I've been debating a long time for which of the two to put as my firm choice. After some thought, I thought of putting Edinburgh because of its great reputation and the good things I've heard about it, along with the city itself. Life in Edinburgh from what I've heard is amazing, and since I'm going to be studying somewhere for 3 or 4 years, the life I'm going to have during my student years is pretty important. In terms of a city itself, Edinburgh seems to beat Loughborough.

However one thing is casting alot of doubt - the University of Edinburgh seems to rank really low on student satisfaction, yet Loughborough sweeps the tables (won 1st again this year). Now I'm thinking that it doesn't matter how amazing a city is - if the course itself isn't satisfying at an institution, then why go there in the first place?

How accurate are these student satisfaction rankings? Are they worthy of being taken into consideration when eliminating a potentially very strong university choice?
    Can't say anything about Loughborough, but my son did a degree at ECA and loved it for all the reasons you have listed about Edinburgh. He's never left and is not considering doing so now. Student satisfaction is a very strange thing. Often, only pissed off people answer the questions. I think there was some kind of ideological struggle going on at the time the survey was carried out and it was a protest vote. It doesn't seem to reflect the experience of my son and his friends.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by marcsazy)

Hi marcsazy

Great to news on the offer

Any questions about Loughborough specifically just ask.

Amy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.