Student Finance Needs Reform Watch

Poll: Does Student Finance Need a Reform?
Yes (5)
55.56%
No (4)
44.44%
TSRFT8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
title
Last edited by TSRFT8; 2 years ago
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It needs to be reformed, but not in the way you suggest. For a start, "Kid 2" would not get anywhere near £8.2K if both parents were supporting them or lived in the some house. If they're split up we do need more rigurous assessment if we want to maintain the means-tested system, but you can't just automatically include it - my dad for instance makes no contribution to either my income or that of my mum's household despite being in work. If his income was taken into account irregardless I wouldn't be able to go to uni.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TSRFT8)
How does that work? If he is poor then you should get a large loan? If he is well off then my point is further validated?
He's neither really, a middle-earner. But he's completely estranged from the rest of my family, lives alone and doesn't contribute a penny. Why should what he earns to spend on himself dictate whether or not I can afford to get an education?
TSRFT8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
He's neither really, a middle-earner. But he's completely estranged from the rest of my family, lives alone and doesn't contribute a penny. Why should what he earns to spend on himself dictate whether or not I can afford to get an education?
Yeah which is my point, university is not a right, and therefore everyone should be on a equal starting loan. This current system does not help anyone except for the very poor or the ones going to university knowing they will never pay back a penny (believe me the number of people who go to university for free money is beyond belief) there is a girl who is going to university just to buy a car with her loan money, and another who is using the 8k to pay off her mums debts.
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 2 years ago
This current system does not help anyone except for the very poor
Wait, isn't that the whole point of the system, to encourage more from poorer backgrounds to go into university?!

Shock. Horror.
CreamyChocolate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How does that work? If he is poor then you should get a large loan? If he is well off then my point is further validated?
Well this is what you 'rich' people get for voting conservative. You should vote labour from now on.

When in fact, you're not rich, just some self entitled middle class wannabes.

If your parents were decent, they'd have saved for your university when you were a child - as the Americans do.
Souljer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Uni fees should be 3k year max

Posted from TSR Mobile
pallyxox
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So so flawed and stupid to think that only rich or middle class are entitled to go to university and have a good education. Of COURSE there's help for the poor is a beneficial thing as it aids them to get out of poverty. In fact, all the people that I know that go to the top five RG unis are from a neighbouring council estate. Unbelievably stupid to presume that intellect and talent only lies within those from rich backgrounds and that everyone should be treated as if they have had a comfortable life. You're an idiot. You know nothing about life. You sit behind a screen posting mindless debates and seeking attention but the bleak reality is that you are a nobody. Who acknowledges you in real life? Everyone knows how Barack Obama rose from a working class family to become president or how nelson Mandela went from being a minority to a majority in South Africa. But who's heard of "Tf whatever" from the student room. Student loans will help the poor more substantially, because (common sense) those that are more well off can help themselves- if not completely, but better than the poor can. Do a huge favour a shut up. You know nothing; you will never amount to someone significant and you are just some daughter of a woman that made it through prostitution. Your grandparents are decomposing in their graves quicker than you are seeing sense 😘
pallyxox
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
title
Refer to my response I put up 13 hours ago it was aimed at you and forgot to tag you
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (517)
91.5%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (48)
8.5%

Watched Threads