Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

American student sentenced to 15 years prison by North Korea Watch

ReputationRep:
    He has brought shame to his family and to his entire nation, you will not see him again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    He's been sentenced to one of North Korea's forced labour camps which, according to reports, are glorified concentration camps. It's a bit worse than being "in prison for a few years"...
    Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I've said. Take a look at my comment number 15 two above yours. What I was getting at was the amount of time he'd be "incarcerated".

There's no need to start an argument where none exists

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Indeed. One only needs to watch actual videos on youtube of North Koreans crying over the death of their leaders to see that this is rather befitting of the usual propaganda aired by North Korea.

Good call, that's actually exactly what I was thinking when I saw his crying... how overly expressive it seemed and in that way how much like the hysteria you see from North Koreans like when Kim Il Sung died

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    He's been sentenced to one of North Korea's forced labour camps which, according to reports, are glorified concentration camps.
    There's nothing glorious about it, by the way. They are concentration camps.

North Korea has two parallel detention systems; they have a network of prisons in cities and large towns, which are basically a walled off compound / large building. These are for common criminals, they are extremely overcrowded but preferable to the alternative.

The other system is the labour camp network (kwanliso), which are located in remote areas and tend to resemble a large, spread-out farm and factory complex with housing areas, guard huts, work areas and so on. Everyone in the labour camp network has to do hard labour and they are subjected to constant propaganda.

Within the labour camp network are secretive enclaves called "total control zones". Those people who go into them never come out, and are never given a reprieve (many people in the ordinary labour camps do serve finite sentences, some are even politically rehabilitated). Children are born into and die in the total control zones, and they don't bother to propagandise the camp residents. It's basically a black hole, with the inhabitants squeezed for all the energy that can be exploited and turned into money until they die. Horrible

ReputationRep:

this guy was sentenced to 6 years of hard labour in NK
    "8 hours work per day; agriculture"
    "isolation; no contact"
    "but in good health"

I think they'll treat this guy leniently if the last american given a similar sentence didn't seem too catatonic. I think it's because he's essentially a pawn/symbol of making america angry and not much else. he isn't going to endanger the regime perhaps like domestic NK'ers so they won't break him

ReputationRep:
    He was offered $10k by someone back in USA to bring a 'trophy' back from NK, going into a forbidden area of a hotel to steal a political banner when you're in a country like that, what did he think would happen? The rest of his tour group left the country without issue so he is only to blame.

ReputationRep:
    Can I be the first person to say quite unequivocally, F**k North Korea

ReputationRep:
    What did he expect?

This is natural selection at work.

ReputationRep:
    The look of despair on his face haunted me all of last night! :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)

this guy was sentenced to 6 years of hard labour in NK
    "8 hours work per day; agriculture"
    "isolation; no contact"
    "but in good health"

I think they'll treat this guy leniently if the last american given a similar sentence didn't seem too catatonic. I think it's because he's essentially a pawn/symbol of making america angry and not much else. he isn't going to endanger the regime perhaps like domestic NK'ers so they won't break him
    That's a really interesting video, thanks for posting. And you're right. I don't think they sent that guy to one of the ordinary labour camps for Koreans, besides looking zoned out he looks fairly healthy and still a reasonable weight.

That guy was released after about 6 months, if they plan to eventually release them they'd probably prefer not to put them into the normal camp system which they'd be able to report to the outside world on conditions there (not to mention the frequency with which prisoners are beaten to death, or die of starvation, in the labour camps, according to reports)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.