Have I left it too late to transfer university for third year?

Watch
Manchester272832
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am not enjoying the city or university that I study at.

I have emailed a few universities asking if I would be able to transfer there after completing second year at the university I am currently at. However, I have yet to get a reply (to be fair, I did only email a few hours ago).

I am just wondering if I have left it a bit late to do this?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
LiquidGold
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought you had to have extreme mitigating circumstances that allow you to transfer uni's between second and third year. In general, I'm pretty sure that the uni which issues your degree at the end needs to (at the very least) be the one you have attended longer than any other?
I dunno, maybe they will be able to put you into second year... Not sure
Manchester272832
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiquidGold)
I thought you had to have extreme mitigating circumstances that allow you to transfer uni's between second and third year. In general, I'm pretty sure that the uni which issues your degree at the end needs to (at the very least) be the one you have attended longer than any other?
I dunno, maybe they will be able to put you into second year... Not sure
Thanks for the reply.

I'm hoping that's not the case. I have anxiety and being at this university really doesn't help it, I pray that I am able to transfer.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Manchester272832)
Thanks for the reply.

I'm hoping that's not the case. I have anxiety and being at this university really doesn't help it, I pray that I am able to transfer.
Unfortunately, many universities will have a policy of not accepting transfers into third year regardless of the reason for the transfer. In most universities, your second year grade counts towards your final degree classification, and universities don't want to award a degree that was partially assessed elsewhere. Also, sometimes things like dissertation supervisors are sorted out in second year to enable students to start their research over the summer.

If unis reply saying they won't accept a transfer into third year, you could ask them if they would accept you repeating second year at their university, which may be an option. This would usually rely on you meeting their usual standard offer and having good grades in your degree so far. The university would also usually want the modules you studied in first year to be broadly similar to their own first year (which is not always the case). The transfer would also rely on the uni having space to accept a new student into second year.
Manchester272832
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
Unfortunately, many universities will have a policy of not accepting transfers into third year regardless of the reason for the transfer. In most universities, your second year grade counts towards your final degree classification, and universities don't want to award a degree that was partially assessed elsewhere. Also, sometimes things like dissertation supervisors are sorted out in second year to enable students to start their research over the summer.

If unis reply saying they won't accept a transfer into third year, you could ask them if they would accept you repeating second year at their university, which may be an option. This would usually rely on you meeting their usual standard offer and having good grades in your degree so far. The university would also usually want the modules you studied in first year to be broadly similar to their own first year (which is not always the case). The transfer would also rely on the uni having space to accept a new student into second year.
I emailed some people at the uni I'm currently at, and they reckon that a lot of universities are willing to allow people to transfer into third year.

I'm studying in Scotland, and I believe 2nd year grades don't count towards your final grade here. So hopefully that'll work in my favour.
SarahhLouisee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm pretty sure all Scottish universities do 4 year courses, so surely transferring between years 2 and 3 would be the equivalent of transferring between years 1 and 2 between universities elsewhere? I don't know, I may be completely wrong here!

OP, keep contacting the universities to see if a transfer is possible. See what options you have and what your chances of transferring are. You can make your application once you find out. Until then, work on getting good grades and focus on finishing this year. There will be a solution!

I have depression and anxiety and am hoping to transfer back home after my first year. May I ask, what made you want to transfer back at this point, If you've already been there for nearly 2 years?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (43)
18.53%
No one else does (75)
32.33%
I'm embarrassed about my background (23)
9.91%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (79)
34.05%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.29%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.72%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.16%

Watched Threads