Turn on thread page Beta

The Ghosts and Folklore Society! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The Ghosts and Folklore Society!

Hello everyone, welcome to the Ghosts and Folklore Society!

This is a thread where we can share and discuss our personal interests in and experiences of paranormal and related phenomena, from ghosts, spirits and other hauntings, to folklore, myths and legends from around the world.

Also feel free to share your best ghost hunting tips, and any favourite ghost hunting locations!

If you'd like to, you can join the official TSR Ghosts and Folklore Society here

Please note: this thread is not intended to be or become a debate over whether or not the phenomena mentioned above exists; so please refrain from inciting such debate when posting. Thanks!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I wasn't really sure where to put this thread, so please feel free to move it if you think another forum would be more suitable

ReputationRep:
    Well, this didn’t take off as well as I’d hoped

I think I’ll continue to post about my interests and experiences, as well as various snippets of information relating to the paranormal, so if you have somehow found yourself reading this, you might have a (hopefully) interesting read, and maybe even learn a few things while you’re here!

Poltergeists

The name ‘poltergeist’ comes from the German word for ‘noisy ghost’, and is typically used to describe the phenomena of movement of objects, and sounds. The two main types of poltergeist are location-based poltergeists, and person-based poltergeists. Location-based poltergeists are linked in one way or another to a specific site. Person-based poltergeists are more common, and like the name suggests, are linked to specific people. Person-based poltergeists draw energy from their specific person, and use it to produce phenomena. Usually the phenomena is focused around teenage females, however poltergeists may attach themselves to people of any age or gender.

Poltergeist phenomena

Personally, I am particularly interested in poltergeist phenomena. Poltergeist phenomena includes the sudden and unexplained appearance and disappearance of objects, known as apports and asports, movement and displacement of objects, sounds such as tapping, knocking, moaning, wailing, singing and footsteps, the opening, closing, slamming etc of doors, stone throwing, and the rapid appearance and disappearance of scents which have no obvious cause.

Perhaps the most intriguing type of poltergeist phenomena (in my opinion), is the stacking of objects, ranging from chairs and books, to jars and vases. Objects stacked by poltergeists are often too intricately balanced to have been placed by human hands, and most of the time, any attempts made by people to recreate the stack end in failure.

Experiences

My aunt’s house is reputed to be haunted by a poltergeist. My aunt and her family have reported a variety of phenomena, with perhaps the most intriguing incident occurring shortly after they first moved in. My aunt was sitting with her family in the living room, and everyone, including all of their five cats, was present. They suddenly heard a loud crash from the kitchen, and when they went to investigate, they found that one of the cats’ litter trays had been flipped upside down, even though there was no one else in the house. Other activity caused by the poltergeist includes loud footsteps on the upper floors of the house, mysterious scents which quickly come and go, and movement of objects, particularly in the bathroom and one of the bedrooms.

Have any of you ever experienced poltergeist phenomena? I’d love to hear your experiences
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    OMG in!!!! love anything spiritual and weird :dance: x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    OMG in!!!! love anything spiritual and weird :dance: x
    Awesome! Thanks for joining the society, Cavy :five:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Interesting thread! I don't have any stories myself but I do believe in ghosts and find stories about them really interesting/scary. Hoping you get more posts with people telling their experiences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Interesting thread! I don't have any stories myself but I do believe in ghosts and find stories about them really interesting/scary. Hoping you get more posts with people telling their experiences

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for checking out my thread, Changing Skies! I hope so too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Awesome! Thanks for joining the society, Cavy :five:
    No problem :ahee: i have a folklore thing up my small furry sleeve if you would like it
    oh and in terms of what you just posted, without trying to sound like a nutcase i agree, was on an island once in a creepy old cottage thing and noone was around yet there was a sound of strumming of some instrument. When we left the island we asked the locals and they said they had never heard of the cottage

ReputationRep:
    I've always had a suspicion that there's something a little off in my own house. I didn't notice it that much until I moved away to uni and came back to visit, but there's areas that feel odd certainly. A lot of things go missing and turn up months later in places I've checked ten times before. It's almost always something important, or something I need. There are certain spots in the house that feel heavier than others, and I sometimes feel like there's someone else in the house even when I know there isn't. I don't think if there is something here it's particularly bad, but it is slightly unnerving and my brothers claim to have had experiences when they're alone too. Generally speaking when I talk about it aloud with people in the house things get worse. I grew up here and I'd never noticed quite how different the place felt until I moved away.

ReputationRep:
    No problem :ahee: i have a folklore thing up my small furry sleeve if you would like it
    oh and in terms of what you just posted, without trying to sound like a nutcase i agree, was on an island once in a creepy old cottage thing and noone was around yet there was a sound of strumming of some instrument. When we left the island we asked the locals and they said they had never heard of the cottage
    Really?! That does sound freaky. What island were you on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kanairee)
    I've always had a suspicion that there's something a little off in my own house. I didn't notice it that much until I moved away to uni and came back to visit, but there's areas that feel odd certainly. A lot of things go missing and turn up months later in places I've checked ten times before. It's almost always something important, or something I need. There are certain spots in the house that feel heavier than others, and I sometimes feel like there's someone else in the house even when I know there isn't. I don't think if there is something here it's particularly bad, but it is slightly unnerving and my brothers claim to have had experiences when they're alone too. Generally speaking when I talk about it aloud with people in the house things get worse. I grew up here and I'd never noticed quite how different the place felt until I moved away.
    That's so interesting, I wish I could experience those things too. Thank you for sharing

ReputationRep:
    That's so interesting, I wish I could experience those things too. Thank you for sharing
    No worries! They're cool stories to tell and all, but the experience can be really scary. I remember lying in bed as a child and hearing someone coming up the stairs, even though I knew there was nobody down there, only to hear them reach the top of the stairs and go silent. I barely slept!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thank you for checking out my thread, Changing Skies! I hope so too
    No worries at all, it's a very good thread idea!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im currently going through nights where I have messed up nightmares.

For instance the other day i dreamt that I was lying in my bed , everything was dark and red.

My door slammed shut and someone was sitting in the corner crying. I approached the person, it turned around and was still crying, then said 'she hit me', pointing behind me.

In the dream i remember i was scared af. So i slowly turned around and saw a woman in black running towards me looking all possessed. As she came really close she slap me....

AHHH i woke up that day literally crying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kanairee)
    No worries! They're cool stories to tell and all, but the experience can be really scary. I remember lying in bed as a child and hearing someone coming up the stairs, even though I knew there was nobody down there, only to hear them reach the top of the stairs and go silent. I barely slept!
    I can imagine, I'd probably be terrified too!

My mum and dad experienced a similar thing after they first got together. They were both in bed, and all of a sudden they heard loud footsteps running up the stairs, but there was no one else in the house. The footsteps stopped right outside the bedroom door, and my parents were petrified

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GothicShield)
    Im currently going through nights where I have messed up nightmares.

For instance the other day i dreamt that I was lying in my bed , everything was dark and red.

My door slammed shut and someone was sitting in the corner crying. I approached the person, it turned around and was still crying, then said 'she hit me', pointing behind me.

In the dream i remember i was scared af. So i slowly turned around and saw a woman in black running towards me looking all possessed. As she came really close she slap me....

AHHH i woke up that day literally crying

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's an awful nightmare to have! I'm sorry you're experiencing them, and I hope they stop soon :hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Really?! That does sound freaky. What island were you on?
    :iiam:
    i would say but my someone might recognise it :rofl: it is down south near Portsmouth if that is a hint
    here is a folklore one:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There was a shewolf in a village in some place. She used to eat livestock and kill people whilst they slept or when they ventured into the woods. The king of the area was despairing at this so hired a huntsman. The huntsman left his wife and children to hear what the king had to say. The king told the huntsman to find the she wolf, kill it and take it's paw to prove he had killed it. The huntsman agreed and set off on horseback into the woods to kill the shewolf one full moon. He tracked it down, speared it and cut it's paw off, however he didn't manage to kill it and the wounded creature escaped back into the forest. The huntsman placed the white paw in a box to deliver the news to the king. The huntsman reached the castle at dawn and presented the box to the king.

The king opened the box and inside was a human hand wearing a wedding ring.
    The huntsman returned home to find his wife nursing a bleeding stump over the sink.....

The end

ReputationRep:
    That's an awful nightmare to have! I'm sorry you're experiencing them, and I hope they stop soon :hugs:
    Tbh i kinda like them....you might think its sick but i love having nightmares.
    Waking up all scared, looking around my room, behind the cupboard.

I like the thrill! But then in the moment, in the actual dream i feel like im being attacked. Hmmm its a love and hate thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :iiam:
    i would say but my someone might recognise it :rofl: it is down south near Portsmouth if that is a hint
    here is a folklore one:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There was a shewolf in a village in some place. She used to eat livestock and kill people whilst they slept or when they ventured into the woods. The king of the area was despairing at this so hired a huntsman. The huntsman left his wife and children to hear what the king had to say. The king told the huntsman to find the she wolf, kill it and take it's paw to prove he had killed it. The huntsman agreed and set off on horseback into the woods to kill the shewolf one full moon. He tracked it down, speared it and cut it's paw off, however he didn't manage to kill it and the wounded creature escaped back into the forest. The huntsman placed the white paw in a box to deliver the news to the king. The huntsman reached the castle at dawn and presented the box to the king.

The king opened the box and inside was a human hand wearing a wedding ring.
    The huntsman returned home to find his wife nursing a bleeding stump over the sink.....

The end
    That is creepy :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That is creepy :yep:
    why thank you :ahee: it has been in my head for years from when i was first told it and have been waiting for an opportunity to tell it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    why thank you :ahee: it has been in my head for years from when i was first told it and have been waiting for an opportunity to tell it :lol:
    I'm glad you finally got your opportunity

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.