Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Characteristics of ghosts

Ghosts can be classified according to several different characteristics, relating to their appearance patterns, level of awareness and personality.

Appearance characteristics

- Cyclic ghosts – these ghosts cause phenomena to occur at regular times, for example at the same time each day, on the same day each week, on the same day each month etc.
    - Intermittent ghosts – these ghosts don’t have any identifiable routine or pattern to the times at which they cause phenomena. For example, phenomena may occur three times in one day, and then not occur again for several months.
    - Anniversary ghosts – these ghosts cause phenomena only or mainly on days which were important or significant to them during their lives, for example on the day they were executed.
    - Reactive ghosts – these ghosts do not generally cause phenomena unless specific actions are taken by living people. For example, if building work is occurring, a ghost may cause phenomena until the building work has been completed. A real life example of a reactive ghost is the ghost which haunts Higher Farm in Somerset. The building is home to a skull belonging to the ghost which haunts it. If the skull is removed from the building, the ghost becomes active and phenomena will only cease once the skull has been returned.
    - Circulative ghosts – these ghosts haunt several locations, rather than the usual single location. A famous example of a circulative ghost is that of Anne Boleyn. She is known to haunt eight different locations, including the Tower of London, where she was executed in 1536.

Awareness characteristics

- Conscious ghosts – conscious ghosts are those which appear to interact with living people, for example by responding to questions asked via Ouija boards or by knocking on hard surfaces, or even by ‘touching’ people, for example by tapping them on the shoulder.
    - Oblivious ghosts – oblivious ghosts are those which appear to be unaware of living people and the current environment. Oblivious ghosts will not generally interact with the living, and often ignore any attempts at communication.

Personality characteristics

- Benevolent/benign ghosts – these ghosts do not generally bring any harm to those to witness them, and may actually try to ‘help’ the witness in some way.
    - Malevolent ghosts – these ghosts often try to affect people in negative ways, for example by strangling, scratching or pushing them. Witnesses generally don’t come to any real harm, but experiences can be extremely distressing at the time.

ReputationRep:
    A father is laying in bed after just waking up, he grabs the baby monitor and walks to his desk in his office at home, he has his baby on the monitor and hears his wife singing to her, he cracks a smile as hears his wife, 'Go to sleep, go to sleep....' When suddenly the front door opens up with his wife walking in with the groceries

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Crisis apparitions

Crisis apparitions are spirits of people which typically appear when that person is close to death, or has died very recently. Crisis apparitions almost always appear to someone that they know, or knew and were very close to during life. It is thought that crisis apparitions appear to the people they know/knew in order to ‘say goodbye’, just before, or just after they pass away.

Experiences

It’s possible that a crisis apparition was experienced not long ago within my own family. In January of last year, my grandpa was taken into hospital, as his dementia had suddenly become much worse and my grandma had become unable to cope with looking after him. It turned out that he had also developed another illness, although I’m not sure which, and the doctor’s told us that he might soon pass away. While he was still in hospital, two of my grandma’s neighbours both claimed that they had seen him walking up the garden path outside the front door of her house. My grandma told them that that was impossible, as he was still in hospital and hadn’t been allowed out. What’s particularly intriguing is that he didn’t pass away until AFTER he had supposedly been seen…

Have you guys had any experiences of crisis apparitions, or know any stories about them?

ReputationRep:
    Finnish folklore

The brown bear

The brown bear is considered to be the most sacred animal in Finnish folklore, and is known as the King of the Forest. Because they are considered to be sacred, the hunting of bears was done carefully and reverently. After the bear had been killed, a feast was held in its honour as a sign of respect. The bears’ skull was then taken into a sacred clearing in the forest, and was put up high in a pine tree. The purpose of returning the bears’ skull to the forest was so that the bear would be able to reincarnate and come back to life.

The creation of the world

In ancient Finnish mythology, the world is believed to have been created by the god Väinämöinen. He was believed to have created the world from the broken egg of an eagle, creating the land from one side of the egg shell, the sky from the upper side, the moon from the egg white, the sun from the yolk and the stars from the tiny pieces of shell which were left over.

Ukko

Ukko was the supreme god of ancient Finland, who had the ability to control the weather. The Finnish people called upon Ukko in the spring time to bring rain and better weather after the harsh winter, so that their crops could grow. The Finnish people celebrated and held a feast called Ukon vakat, where they drank sacred ale as a sacrifice, and called upon Ukko to being rain. During thunderstorms, the thunder was believed to be the sound of Ukko moving through the clouds on his chariot, and the lightning was caused by him swinging his golden hammer.

As well as good weather, the Finnish people also called upon Ukko to bring them good luck

ReputationRep:
    The Leap Castle Elemental

Leap Castle is considered by many to be the most haunted castle in Ireland. It has a very violent, bloody and evil history, and is now home to more than twenty different ghosts in total. Perhaps the most frightening ghost which resides at Leap Castle is the elemental. Elemental ghosts are formed from the negative energy left behind in places which have experienced a lot of evil. The elemental ghost at Leap Castle has been described as part human, part beast, and produces a foul smell of sulphur whenever it manifests. It is believed to inhabit the spiral staircase of the castle, and terrifies all those who are unlucky enough to witness it.

Fortunately, the elemental of Leap Castle generally only manifests itself when provoked, otherwise remaining undetected. Several accounts by witnesses describe the elemental as being about the size of a sheep, covered with grey hair and possessing long arms with clawed hands. It has dark holes instead of eyes, and is covered with cavities, appearing as if decomposing.

The origin of the Leap Castle elemental is still unknown, but some people believe that it was first created by the druids who used the site before the castle was built, and has remained in the castle to this day. Another possible explanation for the presence of the elemental is that one of the women who lived in the castle, Mildred Darby, accidentally conjured it after experimenting with the occult by holding séances within the castle dungeon, and no one has been able to get rid of it since then…

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so much into ghost hunting, but I do get really nerdy about English folklore! I loved the section on the Finnish folklore, so interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissDobalina)
    I'm not so much into ghost hunting, but I do get really nerdy about English folklore! I loved the section on the Finnish folklore, so interesting.
    I'm really glad you're enjoying my folklore posts so far, I'll be posting more Scandinavian folklore soon

ReputationRep:
    Phantom Ladies

Phantom ladies are the ghosts of females who (typically) died tragically, or whom tragically lost a lover or other close male family member. Phantom ladies have been reported in a variety of colours, including white, grey, brown, green, red and pink.

White and grey ladies are the most common type of female ghosts reported. They are the ghosts of females who are thought to have lost or been betrayed by a male, such as a husband or boyfriend. White ladies are said to be harbingers of death, and many are believed to be wandering the Earth, searching for their lost lovers.

In Scotland, phantom ladies known as Green Jeans have also been reported. These ghosts are most often witnessed at isolated castles and manor houses, and are seen wearing green dresses, or glowing with green light.

A famous example of a brown lady is the Brown Lady of Raynham Hall, Norfolk, England. She is thought to be the ghost of Lady Dorothy Walpole, and is known as the Brown Lady because of the brown dress has been seen wearing when witnessed.

ReputationRep:
    Scandinavian Folklore

A variety different creatures and spirits can be found in folktales told across all of the Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark and Iceland). They range from violent trolls to harmless water spirits, and many of them are still important in Scandinavian culture today.

Trolls

Trolls are the most abundant creatures found throughout Scandinavian folklore. Trolls are human-like in form; however they are very large, hairy, clumsy and stupid. Trolls often had more than one head, sometimes up to twelve, and many had only one large eye. Humans were able to easily outwit them, but the trolls’ strength and size made them dangerous if humans offended or upset them. The trolls were said to horde gold in various locations, under bridges, at the tops of mountains and at the bottoms of lakes. Trolls were also believed to die and turn into stone if exposed to sunlight.

Pesta

Pesta is the personification of the Black Death found in Scandinavian folklore. She was said to be dressed in black, and carried a rake and a broom, travelling from farm to farm, bringing disease and death as she went. If she appeared at a farm showing the people living there only the broom, all of the people living on the farm would die. However, if she appeared at a farm only showing the rake, some of the people living on the farm would survive, but the rest would die.

Fossegrimmen

The fossegrim is a water spirit, which appears in the form of a young man playing a fiddle, sitting in the middle of a river or waterfall. They are harmless beings which are neither good nor evil in nature.

Draugen

A draug is the spirit of a man who died at sea, that takes the form of a skeleton sailing in half a boat. Draugen are believed to be omens of death, and that anyone who sees a draug is sure to die, unless they race the draug and win, in which case the draug will let the person live.

ReputationRep:
    WoW you really know your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    WoW you really know your stuff.
    I really enjoy researching these sorts of things

ReputationRep:
    Ok here goes here is my ghost story. Leviathan1741

I was visiting one of my mums friends who revealed that she had been part of a covenant a magic circle of 13 witches. She had parted from the covenant but was still a practicing witch. One night in the middle of a hot summer she asked me if I would like to go with her to a stone circle. I was an atheist and thought it would be a laugh so agreed and got in her car and head off towards the Presell mountains. We stopped on the way and picked up her friend who started talking about freemasons and stuff to the witch. Apparently the freemasons were the knights of the templar and the rosecrution who were in the crusades and notorious for looting booty.

As we started going uphill we approached the mountain tops.The witch started telling me that the sacred stones are usually hidden from us because a foggy mist surrounds the spiritual circle. We got out the car and I followed the Freemason guy and my friend the Witch. We were in luck the stone circle had revealed itself to us, about half a dozen standing stones and one stone about two feet high and flat on top. I stood mesmerised by the stones and the atmosphere of being up in the mountains. The Witch started dancing around the stone circle and chanting what sounded like gibberish and the Freemason guy started to do the same. They asked me to join in and I said I didn't know how to, they looked at me confused and the Freemason guy said it didn't matter.

I found myself entering on the flat short stone that was just off centre. The two of them dancing waving their hands about and chanting gibberish would normally seem quite funny to me but I don't know I just started to feel a bit spiritual. Then they stopped and started conjuring up visions of spirits from the underworld. It was then that I started to see an illuminated figure in a white tunic an old man with a long whispy white beard was sat on the flat stone. He seemed clear as day and was only partially visible. He seemed to be trying to say something but I couldn't quite make out what it was. Then the witch who had been describing her visions behind me asked me if I could see anything, then the old wise man disappeared. I explained what I saw and to be honest was a bit pissed off the witch interrupted because it was then that he disappeared. They explained it was a sage I think or something I thought it was the ghost of a druid personally. They also said he didn't want to talk to me. I didn't agree with that either, he was so obviously making an effort to speak it was unreal though and I'll never forget that night with the Witch in the Presell mountains at the stone circle.

And that's my story believe it or not that is the closest I've ever got to believing in there being another world a spiritual world. I was brought up not to believe in god and never really questioned my spiritual side before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Ok here goes here is my ghost story. Leviathan1741

x
    Wow! That's a great story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Wow! That's a great story
    Thanks, its true of course.

ReputationRep:
    Ghost Vehicles

In addition to the ghosts of people and animals that were once alive, there have also been many reports of ghosts of inanimate objects such as vehicles, including ships, planes, trains and even submarines.

Ghost ships have been reported many times throughout history, and often appear as anniversary hauntings on the date on which they were wrecked. An example of a ghost ship is the Lady Lovibond, which is said to appear every fifty years on the anniversary of the date she was wrecked – 13th February 1748. In mythology, the Lady Lovibond was wrecked in 1748 on the Goodwin Sands, Kent, where she is believed to now appear as a ghost ship.

Ghost planes are another type of inanimate haunting. These hauntings are particularly common in Longendale Valley, Derbyshire, where there are numerous Second World War bomber crash sites and wreckages. Witnesses often report the planes gliding silently through the air then disappearing out of sight, however, sightings of the planes crashing, before disappearing, have also been reported.

Ghost trains appear as ghostly engines and carriages which move along train tracks and pull into stations which no longer exist. My father had an experience with a ghost train when he was a child. He was staying with some friends in a hostel, which stood on a site where a train station had once been. He woke up in the middle of the night and saw a train outside the window, pulling slowly into the train station which was no longer there…

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity, is anyone actually reading my posts in this thread?

ReputationRep:
    Cryptids

Cryptids are animals whose existence has been suggested, but not proven by the scientific community. Cryptids have been reported all over the world, with some of the most well-known examples being the Loch Ness Monster of Scotland, and the Sasquatch of North America.

The Loch Ness Monster

The Loch Ness Monster, classified in cryptozoology as a lake monster, is a large serpentine (snake-like) monster, thought to represent a plesiosaur, which is said to lurk in the waters of Loch Ness, Scotland. There have been many claimed sightings of the monster; however Nessie, as the creature is affectionately called, is very much thought to be nothing more than a myth.

Many explanations for the Loch Ness Monster sightings have been put forward, including the misidentification of common animals such as seals or inanimate objects such as floating trees, and natural phenomena such as seiches, which are waves which happen after the water returns to its natural level after being blown by the wind towards one end of the loch.

The Sasquatch

The Sasquatch, also known as Bigfoot, is an ape-like creature which is believed by many people to live in the forests of North America, with the majority of reported sightings in the Pacific Northwest. Witnesses describe Bigfoot as a hairy, bipedal ape-like creature, between two and three metres tall. Its hair is usually described as black, dark brown or dark red. Similar creatures have been reported in other parts of the world, including the Yeti (Himalayas), the Yeren (Mongolia), the Hibagon (Japan), and the Yowie (Australia).

The majority of Bigfoot sightings are dismissed by the scientific community as those of bears, with many others shown to be hoaxes, rather than genuine sightings.

ReputationRep:
    Icelandic Folklore

Iceland is home to many mythical beings; some of them are shared with other Scandinavian countries, but there are also several which are unique to Iceland.

Gryla

Gryla is a particularly terrifying figure found in Icelandic folklore. She is a mythical giantess, believed to live in a cave in the mountains of Iceland, who is able to sense when children are being naughty throughout the year. At Christmas time, she visits Icelandic villages and collects all of the children who misbehaved in a large sack. She then takes them back to the cave, boils them alive in stew, and eats them.

The Yule Lads

The Yule Lads, or Jólasveinar, are a group of thirteen figures from Icelandic folklore who place rewards of gifts, or punishments of rotten potatoes, inside the shoes of children left on their windowsills during the last thirteen nights before Christmas. In modern times, they are the Icelandic version of Father Christmas, however traditionally they were considered to be the children of Gryla, and like her, would also eat the children who misbehaved at Christmas time.

The Yule Cat

The Yule Cat, known in Icelandic as Jólaköttur, is another monster which appears in Icelandic folklore. It is a large, vicious cat which is said to roam the snowy countryside of Iceland at Christmas time, devouring anyone who had not received any new clothes for Christmas. The Yule Cat is believed to belong to Gryla.

The Lagarfljót worm

The Lagarfljót worm, better known as the Iceland Worm Monster, is a lake monster cryptid believed to inhabit the Lagarfljót lake in Iceland. It is a serpentine monster, similar to the Loch Ness Monster, and is thought to be at least 12m in length. It is most often seen swimming through the water of the lake, but sightings of it curled up on the banks of the lake have also been reported.

ReputationRep:
    Black Dogs (Phantom Hounds)

Black dogs are a type of elemental haunting which are found primarily in British folklore, and have been reported in almost all English counties, Scotland, Wales, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

In British folklore, black dogs are believed to be omens of death, and that anyone who sees one will die. Black dogs are said to be larger than normal dogs, sometimes even as big as a cow, and often have large, glowing eyes which are typically red or green. Because black dogs have been reported in so many locations, they have been given a wide variety of names, including Black Shuck (Norfolk), Dandy Dogs (Cornwall), Gabriel Hounds (Sheffield), Barghest (Yorkshire) and Padfoot (Lancashire).

In Wales, black dogs are known as Cwn, and a similar phantom, a large green dog known as Cù Sìth (also called a faery dog) is believed to haunt the Scottish Highlands. The Cù Sìth barks loudly three times, and anyone who hears it must seek safety before the third bark. If the third bark is heard, the person who hears it will die.

Black dog hauntings are not limited to Britain, however, and such ghosts are known collectively in Europe as Hellhounds. In Europe it is believed that anyone who hears the howling or barking of a black dog is doomed to die.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I'm in!

OP, do you go ghost hunting? I was interested in going for a while ..

Also I see you're an atheist, how can you reconcile atheism with believing in the supernatural ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.