The Student Room Group

Do you need to buy your own toilet rolls and soap etc for a shared toilet in uni?

random question i know lol but im thinking if i get a non-ensuite then i wouldnt need to pay for the accessorys? and then save even more money next year: D: D

If not do you think geting an ensuite is worth it?
You want to use other people's soap in the shower? Hunh.

All that would cost you is your dignity.
Reply 2
You'd still need to pay for toilet rolls and other necessities. The university won't provide you with these.
Ideally, you should be able to talk with your roommates and develop a rota for buying toilet roll. You should probably buy your own supplies i.e. soap, shampoo unless you think your roommates are going to be the nicest people ever and lend you theirs.
I guess it depends on the difference between an ensuite room and a shared bathroom - if there's not that big of a difference and you don't mind paying extra for an ensuite, you should probably opt for that.
Reply 3
Original post by ThatOldGuy
You want to use other people's soap in the shower? Hunh.

All that would cost you is your dignity.

Lol im lazy :P but yeah good point ahaa
Yeah, we do.

We went Costco at the start of the year and topped up... that way we don't need to shop for them now.
I heard father christmas visits every saturday and brings each tennant a lush gift set for the week
Original post by Tahmido
random question i know lol but im thinking if i get a non-ensuite then i wouldnt need to pay for the accessorys? and then save even more money next year: D: D

One of the biggest disadvantages of an ensuite - you have to pay for cleaning materials (and bog roll) and clean your own toilet and shower.

The sinks in shared toilets will usually have handwash available.
Original post by PQ
One of the biggest disadvantages of an ensuite - you have to pay for cleaning materials (and bog roll) and clean your own toilet and shower.

The sinks in shared toilets will usually have handwash available.

Depends where you are... I usually get 1, sometimes 2, bog rolls a week, and ensuite cleaned once a week... ok yeh, you do end up paying for it in the rent...
Original post by Betelgeuse-
I heard father christmas visits every saturday and brings each tennant a lush gift set for the week

Every Tuesday morning for me - does mean I have a free wake up call though...
Reply 9
yeah i think i shouldnt go for ensuite cuz it cost like £30 more per week and i can get bares of toliet rolls with that haha :biggrin: :biggrin: but that means someone may have a huge poo and it will smelllll bad :P
Original post by Tahmido
yeah i think i shouldnt go for ensuite cuz it cost like £30 more per week and i can get bares of toliet rolls with that haha :biggrin: :biggrin: but that means someone may have a huge poo and it will smelllll bad :P

I've had complaints about that from people I know who're not in ensuite... I just sit back, look at them, and laugh :rofl: (I'm a cruel person!)
Buy your own for goodness sake. Whether you want en suite depends hwo mych you like your own privacy v £.
Original post by Tahmido

Some places will provide basics like loo roll, bin bags etc but not all.
I had an en-suite at mine but each week a cleaner came in to check the room, clean the bathroom, empty the bin and replace toilet roll. That's quite unusual I think and the loo roll was terrible anyway so I still bought my own.
You will need your own soap for showers but they may have a hand soap dispenser (unlikely).

It depends on how comfortable you are sharing. If you don't mind sharing like you would at home then just go for normal. My brother said he found it more social cos you'd bump into people going t get water, or have a shower etc. I hated the idea of sharing and found it helpful to be able to get water, brush my teeth etc without leaving my room. Also makes showering a little easier cos you don't have to take all your stuff or walk through a cold hall while half wet.

At my uni the en-suites were more modern, but smaller rooms than most and further from the rest of campus so that's another thing to consider. You also tend to get different types of people in the different accomodations. If you go for the expensive one you will ne mostly with people who have a bit more money and will likely spend more going out, if you go for the cheapest you're more likely to be with people who need to wtch their money more and won't necessarily send much for fun. En-suite may have more isolated people, people who are more fussy about their space and may not share as much (if you're sharing a bathroom you end up sharing supplies and being a little more social). It's not an exact of course, but it's worth having a think about. You may also find some residences have reputations (we had a sporty one, a mostly fem one, a mostly law students one etc).
Your hall would most likely work out a system with hand soap, loo roll etc where you all chip in for shared essentials. It's not like you'll all hoard your own loo roll and bring it with you each time. The cost of loo roll shouldn't be an issue if you're getting SF. The cost of the en-suite itself would be the bigger issue as it's usually a good bit more expensive.
Reply 13
Original post by Kindred
Some places will provide basics like loo roll, bin bags etc but not all.
I had an en-suite at mine but each week a cleaner came in to check the room, clean the bathroom, empty the bin and replace toilet roll. That's quite unusual I think and the loo roll was terrible anyway so I still bought my own.
You will need your own soap for showers but they may have a hand soap dispenser (unlikely).

It depends on how comfortable you are sharing. If you don't mind sharing like you would at home then just go for normal. My brother said he found it more social cos you'd bump into people going t get water, or have a shower etc. I hated the idea of sharing and found it helpful to be able to get water, brush my teeth etc without leaving my room. Also makes showering a little easier cos you don't have to take all your stuff or walk through a cold hall while half wet.

At my uni the en-suites were more modern, but smaller rooms than most and further from the rest of campus so that's another thing to consider. You also tend to get different types of people in the different accomodations. If you go for the expensive one you will ne mostly with people who have a bit more money and will likely spend more going out, if you go for the cheapest you're more likely to be with people who need to wtch their money more and won't necessarily send much for fun. En-suite may have more isolated people, people who are more fussy about their space and may not share as much (if you're sharing a bathroom you end up sharing supplies and being a little more social). It's not an exact of course, but it's worth having a think about. You may also find some residences have reputations (we had a sporty one, a mostly fem one, a mostly law students one etc).
Your hall would most likely work out a system with hand soap, loo roll etc where you all chip in for shared essentials. It's not like you'll all hoard your own loo roll and bring it with you each time. The cost of loo roll shouldn't be an issue if you're getting SF. The cost of the en-suite itself would be the bigger issue as it's usually a good bit more expensive.

Thanks your answer helped me out thanks man :biggrin:
Well personally, I've lived in both and shared - we tried doing communal stuff for about 3 weeks but someone kept using the fairy liquid too much and then others were using way too much toilet paper (I mean it was two ply - who needs loads of toilet paper when you're taking a dump when it's two ply?!). So we gradually decided to to use our own washing up liquid, foil, toilet roll, spray etc.

But we have this very nice flatmate who just buys all the toilet paper and fair liquid! It's bizarre cause we have never asked him to and we've said he doesn't have to but he says it's fine! I'm grateful but I use my own toilet paper anyway.

I live with 5 other guys... (I did ask for mixed sex so I was EXTREMELY unlucky)!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending