Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Lawliettt)

I've pointed out that it doesn't specify where the jobs are too many times to take you seriously and continue replying. You're clearly not capable of asking what the information you're provided with means. Must be why you seem to think 80% of manchester metropolitan graduates go straight into mechanical engineering graduate roles.

I'm done here lmao
    Yep, you're definitely done:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yep, you're definitely done:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Funny how that isn't on the unistats page
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Funny how that isn't on the unistats page
    Yeah, I totally conjured up that screenshot out of thin air. Please tell me you're joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Okay, seriously. This is just painful to read and ignore.

I'm using rankings to justify how crap rankings are, not how reliable they are (which is what you do).

The reason UCL is so down low is because of "student satisfaction" - do you know what a load of crap this is? Of course you wouldn't.

The fact that Mech Eng isn't the best at UCL doesn't mean it's worse than Swansea or Surrey or whatever. This logic is that of an 8 year old.

I did not say Liverpool is good or not for Mech Eng - I just pointed out how stupid it is to use the Guardian tables. I mean the GUARDIAN tables, which even placed Surrey above Imperial for Maths.

So please, do refrain from advising people on matters you are not even closely familiar with.
    So after all that, your entire argument has been "it's on a site i don't like!" afterall. Fantastic. And I swear you don't read. God knows how many timea I've said this. The link was just an example. I was simply emphasing the factthat no ranking, nationally or internationally rates the course at liverpool.

And how do you know engineering at Surrey isn't better than UCL? Surrey is a top university too. You're another sheep blinded by Uni names. As a Uni, UCL blows it away. Comparing engineering departments though, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm ashamed at myself for wasting my time replying to you. Goodluck with your English GCSE. You clearly struggle with comprehension.

ReputationRep:
    So after all that, your entire argument has been "it's on a site i don't like!" afterall. Fantastic. And I swear you don't read. God knows how many timea I've said this. The link was just an example. I was simply emphasing the factthat no ranking, nationally or internationally rates the course at liverpool.

And how do you know engineering at Surrey isn't better than UCL? Surrey is a top university too. You're another sheep blinded by Uni names. As a Uni, UCL blows it away. Comparing engineering departments though, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm ashamed at myself for wasting my time replying to you. Goodluck with your English GCSE. You clearly struggle with comprehension.
    Sorry, can you actually read or is there something with your comprehension skills? When I refer to the Guardian in that way, I don't mean it as a newspaper - I mean it for the rankings specifically.

I'd swear you don't read - I told you ALL rankings are not reliable, and certainly do not reflect the opinions of employers. How difficult is it exactly to grasp this?

I'm the sheep and not you who believes crap that can be manipulated by unis themselves. Hilarious. Surrey isn't better than UCL at anything - its funding, its entry requirements, its employment prospects make that clear to anyone who has the slightest idea of how this works.

I'm well past my GCSE-equivalent education. At least try to be original with your insults and stop copy-pasting what I said again and again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I totally conjured up that screenshot out of thin air. Please tell me you're joking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope. And for the 10th time can you please remind me what relevance any of this has to the taught mech eng course at Liverpool being mediocre? I've never seen anyone attempt to defend a uni so much in my life. Not even students. I can only conclude that you're a professor
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nope. And for the 10th time can you please remind me what relevance any of this has to the taught mech eng course at Liverpool being mediocre? I've never seen anyone attempt to defend a uni so much in my life. Not even students. I can only conclude that you're a professor
    Sure. I'm the Professor of Screenshotology at the Institute of Digital Imaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    I'd swear you don't read - I told you ALL rankings are not reliable, and certainly do not reflect the opinions of employers. How difficult is it exactly to grasp this?

I'm the sheep and not you who believes crap that can be manipulated by unis themselves. Hilarious. Surrey isn't better than UCL at anything - its funding, its entry requirements, its employment prospects make that clear to anyone who has the slightest idea of how this works.
    I'm going to excuse your ignorance since it seems like you genuienly don't know what you're talking about. There are several Unis with better engineering departmentsthan UCL. Manchester, Loughborough and Bristol being additional examples. All your reply have said is "the rankings must be lies because they don't think UCL engineering is good!"

May I ask, why exactly do you think Surrey or whoever is worse? Because it's not a fancy name like UCL? I already know you've never attended either Surrey or UCL. And you're adament about your hatred of rankings. So where have you gotten your information on the course quality at the respective unis? Plucked from the air?

I won't continue replying to someone who knows so little but at the very least can research and educate yourself? I may have had the displeasure of arguing with you when you knew nothing. But i wouldn't wish this upon anyone else. Once you've realised that you've been genuienly baft, feel free to message me a 5 parahraph apology. It'll be english revision for your exams in a few months

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to excuse your ignorance since it seems like you genuienly don't know what you're talking about. There are several Unis with better engineering departmentsthan UCL. Manchester, Loughborough and Bristol being additional examples. All your reply have said is "the rankings must be lies because they don't think UCL engineering is good!"
    You speaking of ignorance is hilarious. What makes you think that Manchester, Loughborough or Bristol are actually better than UCL?

Rankings?

No, I did not say it's because they do not rate UCL well - that was just one of the many example I gave. I specifically asked you whether you know the methodologies they use. You evidently do not. All you do is say "well, I did mean that table, I meant the other", and then "I meant them all together".

Get serious.

May I ask, why exactly do you think Surrey or whoever is worse? Because it's not a fancy name like UCL? I already know you've never attended either Surrey or UCL. And you're adament about your hatred of rankings. So where have you gotten your information on the course quality at the respective unis? Plucked from the air?
    I said it before - how difficult is it for you to actually spend some time and read what I'm writing?

It goes from funding, to general reputation, to entry requirements to job prospects. Was that difficult to grasp?

And plucking things out of thin air is certainly better than relying on the Guardian rankings.

I won't continue replying to someone who knows so little but at the very least can research and educate yourself? I may have had the displeasure of arguing with you when you knew nothing. But i wouldn't wish this upon anyone else. Once you've realised that you've been genuienly baft, feel free to message me a 5 parahraph apology. It'll be english revision for your exams in a few months

Peace.
    Bla bla bla "I'm smart and you're not and I know everything and I'm an expert and I know everything" bla bla bla.

As I said, when you don't know crap about something, don't pretend to know it. It's been three people here actually showing you proof of how unreliable rankings are and how deluded you are yet still you are on this delirium.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ohmygoodness this thread has filled up with idiots debating rankings!!

OP - have you considered doing a masters? Even with a poor undergrad performance a masters can give you a second chance. Also, I would highly recommend looking abroad for this - they are less likely to care about your undergrad results/ understand the UK grading systems, plus then you get "international experience" for your CV I'm currently in China doing a year abroad and have met so many other students who were in similar situations to you, but came here and were offered full scholarships at top Chinese universities (the uni ranking system here massively supports universities becoming more "international" so many are desperate for international students). Also, the grading system here is a lot more generous than in the UK - you're guaranteed to pass and if you turn up to class and do all your assignments should easily get 90%+.

ReputationRep:
    I know an engineering graduate who also got a 3rd in mechanical engineering. He is just over thirty now, owns a £750000 house and earnings exceed .25m per year. He didn't have your mitigating circumstances for his 3rd, his was partying and having a good time. The 3rd didn't deter him and now as a Chartered Engineer who is at point of completing for his fellowship. Having a 3rd did not stop him from being the UKs youngest Chartered Engineer when he was 26 and is head hunted across the globe. He got the right breaks, though no leg up from family or friends, but with hard work, willingness to take on tough jobs, it is possible to do well with your third. Don't let the dismal Jeannies and Johnnies tell you otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Sure. I'm the Professor of Screenshotology at the Institute of Digital Imaging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM :lol:

Leave them to it, they're a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Ohmygoodness this thread has filled up with idiots debating rankings!!

OP - have you considered doing a masters? Even with a poor undergrad performance a masters can give you a second chance. Also, I would highly recommend looking abroad for this - they are less likely to care about your undergrad results/ understand the UK grading systems, plus then you get "international experience" for your CV I'm currently in China doing a year abroad and have met so many other students who were in similar situations to you, but came here and were offered full scholarships at top Chinese universities (the uni ranking system here massively supports universities becoming more "international" so many are desperate for international students). Also, the grading system here is a lot more generous than in the UK - you're guaranteed to pass and if you turn up to class and do all your assignments should easily get 90%+.
    Are you doing an MSC in China? I just saw your post and your sig? Did you have to pay anything (tuition, accommodation)? Did you have any interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DougallnDougall)
    I know an engineering graduate who also got a 3rd in mechanical engineering. He is just over thirty now, owns a £750000 house and earnings exceed .25m per year. He didn't have your mitigating circumstances for his 3rd, his was partying and having a good time. The 3rd didn't deter him and now as a Chartered Engineer who is at point of completing for his fellowship. Having a 3rd did not stop him from being the UKs youngest Chartered Engineer when he was 26 and is head hunted across the globe. He got the right breaks, though no leg up from family or friends, but with hard work, willingness to take on tough jobs, it is possible to do well with your third. Don't let the dismal Jeannies and Johnnies tell you otherwise.
    He got a third about 10 years ago. The employment landscape has changed a lot in that time.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Are you doing an MSC in China? I just saw your post and your sig? Did you have to pay anything (tuition, accommodation)? Did you have any interviews?
    No, I'm just doing a year here during my undergrad - but I've met a lot of other international students and the uni has given us lots of info on scholarships etc as they're hoping we'll come back
    I didn't have to pay anything at all for the first semester (British Council scholarship - if you're interested in studying the language check them out) but am having to fund the second semester myself due to making the decision to stay for an extra semester too late to apply for any other scholarships (total cost for tuition + accommodation about £1000 / semester btw).
    Nope, no interviews at all. Some scholarships (most notably some of the Chinese scholarship council ones if I remember correctly) require a minimum Chinese language level, but there are plenty that don't (although the CSC ones are particularly generous, so if you wanted to learn the language too it would be a great idea to do a one year intensive language program here on eg a British council scholarship, then pass the HSK exam to get the CSC scholarship).
    There are loads of unis offering masters courses in English though if you don't want to learn Chinese, and plenty of scholarships available. From what I can tell, pretty much everyone who applies for a scholarship gets one, and in the rare case that you didn't the tuition and living costs are really cheap anyway, you could find the whole year (well, if you don't study in Beijing/ Shanghai which are a bit more expensive) with a summer job in the UK.
    Do check out the full details of courses and university reviews etc though if you do decide to come here - just like any other country, there are good and bad universities in China!

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm just doing a year here during my undergrad - but I've met a lot of other international students and the uni has given us lots of info on scholarships etc as they're hoping we'll come back
    I didn't have to pay anything at all for the first semester (British Council scholarship - if you're interested in studying the language check them out) but am having to fund the second semester myself due to making the decision to stay for an extra semester too late to apply for any other scholarships (total cost for tuition + accommodation about £1000 / semester btw).
    Nope, no interviews at all. Some scholarships (most notably some of the Chinese scholarship council ones if I remember correctly) require a minimum Chinese language level, but there are plenty that don't (although the CSC ones are particularly generous, so if you wanted to learn the language too it would be a great idea to do a one year intensive language program here on eg a British council scholarship, then pass the HSK exam to get the CSC scholarship).
    There are loads of unis offering masters courses in English though if you don't want to learn Chinese, and plenty of scholarships available. From what I can tell, pretty much everyone who applies for a scholarship gets one, and in the rare case that you didn't the tuition and living costs are really cheap anyway, you could find the whole year (well, if you don't study in Beijing/ Shanghai which are a bit more expensive) with a summer job in the UK.
    Do check out the full details of courses and university reviews etc though if you do decide to come here - just like any other country, there are good and bad universities in China!
    Thanks for the info. How are you dealing with the whole Chinese censorship of certain websites?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. How are you dealing with the whole Chinese censorship of certain websites?
    I know you weren't asking me, but I was in Beijing recently and a good friend lives there. Being without Google (Gmail, Google Docs, Google Drive, GOOGLE!) drove me bananas. My friend uses VPN, but mine was recognized as such and flagged after one day. Uf!

ReputationRep:
    You could just lie
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I use a VPN service - my UK uni had a free one which I'm using, but most students here use expressVPN which unfortunately you have to pay for. Pretty much all the free VPN services are blocked. I'm not sure how much it costs for expressVPN, but they have a very good referal scheme so all my friends are "recommending" it to each other to get free months all the time - just buddy up with some other international students and do the same!
    Also, there are chinese equivalents of all the blocked websites, eg Baidu is their copy of Google and Wechat is a bit like facebook/twitter/WhatsApp all merged together.

ReputationRep:
    I use a VPN service - my UK uni had a free one which I'm using, but most students here use expressVPN which unfortunately you have to pay for. Pretty much all the free VPN services are blocked. I'm not sure how much it costs for expressVPN, but they have a very good referal scheme so all my friends are "recommending" it to each other to get free months all the time - just buddy up with some other international students and do the same!
    Also, there are chinese equivalents of all the blocked websites, eg Baidu is their copy of Google and Wechat is a bit like facebook/twitter/WhatsApp all merged together.
    That's useless for you unless you plan to:
    a) have all your friends/family switch to chinese social networks
    b) forsake your communication using social media while in China and switch to the above equivalents

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.