Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    Ohmygoodness this thread has filled up with idiots debating rankings!!

OP - have you considered doing a masters? Even with a poor undergrad performance a masters can give you a second chance. Also, I would highly recommend looking abroad for this - they are less likely to care about your undergrad results/ understand the UK grading systems, plus then you get "international experience" for your CV I'm currently in China doing a year abroad and have met so many other students who were in similar situations to you, but came here and were offered full scholarships at top Chinese universities (the uni ranking system here massively supports universities becoming more "international" so many are desperate for international students). Also, the grading system here is a lot more generous than in the UK - you're guaranteed to pass and if you turn up to class and do all your assignments should easily get 90%+.
    I'm thinking of applying for an Msc even though all the unis minimum rankings are 2:2.
    And my OP mentions that my jobs I'm hoping to get are abroad, maybe back in my home country. I just find it so much better that a lot of places outside the UK don't give a **** about what degree class you get. As long as they hear the name of the degree and where you studied it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A$aprocky)
    I dont think macdonalds would hire you, they need at least a 2:2
    A 2.2 in engineering is as good as 2.1 in anything else

ReputationRep:
    OP I'm in a similar situation but maybe not quite as bad! I need a middlish 2.2 in this semester to get a 2.2 overall and it's stressing me out even tho it's not even that hard to. I found the best way to proceed for me is to just completley knuckle down that means:
    -No sitting around whining and calculating grades and feeling sorry for yourself. Turn that selfpity into motivation and just keep thinking that you can do it.
    -Compare yourself to the best guys on your course. If they study 9 hours you study 11. If you ever feel like you deserve a break cause your friends are taking one remember they're not on a third!I'm lucky in that regard cause I've got friends who are on firsts that I've latched onto. That means I try and work on what they are working on and copy their techniques. Try the same.
    -This one is **** but it's necessary...no drinking,drugs or anything like that. It wastes too much of your time being hungover and if you're gonna take a break you wanna do something that relaxes your body and mind like a sport. It really helps me revise going to the gym at least 3 times a week.
    -I just refuse to think of what'll happen if I get a third. I know it might be a bad idea brcause if it happens I'll feel like **** but it just makes me work that much harder and it makes me more confident.

You just have to get the ball rolling and you'll somehow get it done! Good luck to you and wish me luck too haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thechillyone)
    OP I'm in a similar situation but maybe not quite as bad! I need a middlish 2.2 in this semester to get a 2.2 overall and it's stressing me out even tho it's not even that hard to. I found the best way to proceed for me is to just completley knuckle down that means:
    -No sitting around whining and calculating grades and feeling sorry for yourself. Turn that selfpity into motivation and just keep thinking that you can do it.
    -Compare yourself to the best guys on your course. If they study 9 hours you study 11. If you ever feel like you deserve a break cause your friends are taking one remember they're not on a third!I'm lucky in that regard cause I've got friends who are on firsts that I've latched onto. That means I try and work on what they are working on and copy their techniques. Try the same.
    -This one is **** but it's necessary...no drinking,drugs or anything like that. It wastes too much of your time being hungover and if you're gonna take a break you wanna do something that relaxes your body and mind like a sport. It really helps me revise going to the gym at least 3 times a week.
    -I just refuse to think of what'll happen if I get a third. I know it might be a bad idea brcause if it happens I'll feel like **** but it just makes me work that much harder and it makes me more confident.

You just have to get the ball rolling and you'll somehow get it done! Good luck to you and wish me luck too haha
    Hi this is random but I just wanted to drop in and say good luck to you, reading that was actually pretty motivating for me too, and just try your best, your attitude is amazing, keep it up! x

ReputationRep:
    how did OP get on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    how did OP get on?
    EDIT: OP hasn't been on TSR for almost a year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.