Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VW Scirocco R or Mercedes A Class? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the kind of car you want really.

Personally, I'd go A Class. If you forget about things like AMG Line, and just order the comfort extras of an A class, you can get a really comfortable car that lasts you a LONG time.

If you go for a scirocco, then you'll get a sportier hatchback that might me more traditional, but you could grow tired of the hard suspension and racetrack-styling after a while.

If you ask me, comfort is the way to go. We have a Citroen C5 which, to this day, has the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. It's 2003, but it has CD, AC, Cruise Control, Electric Seats, ****ing armrests on every seat and makes you feel like you're sitting in your living room while you're driving. Believe me, if you could choose one place to be for the rest of your life, would it be an armchair, or a hard schoolchair that just slides along the maths department corridor faster?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i've always been into the germans especially Audi. The only thing about VW is they're a little over rated. Everywhere I look someone's got a Golf R or even any other variant of the Golf. Scirocco isn't as popular, but I don't think it's as practical as the golf - you're only buying for looks.
    The mercs are nice, but the one issue is they depreciate rapidly.
    Reading the above posts some have asked which variant of the A class you mean. Insurance will be a pain on the R or A45 but it depends how old you are, if you can afford it (no offence intended) etc. If we're talking premium/sport then go for the A45 or consider an Audi S3/BMW M135. If you're putting in the money then I could assume that depreciation isn't a major problem.

If we're talking more affordable and reliable cars then I would consider a less powerful variant of the A class or the BMW 1 series. I find standard A3's quite boring despite being an Audi fanatic so stay away, same for golfs. Someone also mentioned Mazda 3. I actually have a Mazda3 1.6 TS which is actually fairly nippy if you can drive a manual fast, but there is a 2.0 sport version which i'm sure is fast enough for a hatchback, and a lot cheaper than a german. Again, depends on your preference. Let me know if you want further help, you've got me interested.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.