Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently taking (failing) A Level Psychology and yet I've turned up and participated in every lesson, completed every homework, done all the extra reading and revised for every test. By failing I literally mean consistently receiving D and E grades on mock exams throughout the year. So not wanting to fail I arranged tutoring with my lecturer and started doing even more work outside of lessons. Just had a test back this week and I'm still doing badly. It's 8 weeks until my first exam and the situation just seems completely hopeless considering I'm doing 3 times the amount of work compared to my two other subjects and still am not even close to passing. I had hoped to go to university but it seems unlikely that's going to happen.

I've just completely run out of options and I don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie15)
    I'm currently taking (failing) A Level Psychology and yet I've turned up and participated in every lesson, completed every homework, done all the extra reading and revised for every test. By failing I literally mean consistently receiving D and E grades on mock exams throughout the year. So not wanting to fail I arranged tutoring with my lecturer and started doing even more work outside of lessons. Just had a test back this week and I'm still doing badly. It's 8 weeks until my first exam and the situation just seems completely hopeless considering I'm doing 3 times the amount of work compared to my two other subjects and still am not even close to passing. I had hoped to go to university but it seems unlikely that's going to happen.

I've just completely run out of options and I don't know what to do. Any advice is appreciated.
    Which board are you studying? If it's CIE, I can be of some help
    You can PM me if you want if you're doing health-related psychology.

ReputationRep:

What are you finding hard? What exam board are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nikita Verma)
    Which board are you studying? If it's CIE, I can be of some help
    You can PM me if you want if you're doing health-related psychology.
    I'm afraid it's AQA Psychology B which isn't health related.

(Original post by DeadEnd_96)
    What are you finding hard? What exam board are you doing?
    There's just under 150 studies we need to have memorised. We need to know the experimenter name, type of experiment (e.g. lab or field), the outcome (e.g. 48% MZ concordance, 14% DZ), and the strengths and limitations of the experiment for each one. And my brain cannot retain it all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid it's AQA Psychology B which isn't health related.

There's just under 150 studies we need to have memorised. We need to know the experimenter name, type of experiment (e.g. lab or field), the outcome (e.g. 48% MZ concordance, 14% DZ), and the strengths and limitations of the experiment for each one. And my brain cannot retain it all.
    Oh, that's too bad. Anything related to Abnormality (schizophrenia, OCD, etc.)?
    I had about half that number of studies in A2 so I can imagine your in double trouble..
    Maybe you could try classifying them into groups to remember? Find common themes, find something common in the name of the experimenter and link it to the study...for instance "Faulty Lofty" to remember Loftus and Pickrell for formation of false/faulty memories. (no offence to the Elizabeth Loftus). L for Loftus, L for lab... these sound pretty stupid but when there's loads to remember, the ones that crack you up are the ones that stay in your brain :P

You could also try watching videos based on the experiments you're studying... I couldn't remember all the results of the study by Zimbardo until I watched a video on it and could visualise the participants' reactions to torturing others :P
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep

Hi Rosie, you mentioned that you're having trouble memorising all the studies etc you need to know for the exam, and it made me think of the following article we have about memorising and how to improve your retention of facts (which also references a psychology experiment!):

http://www.thetutorpages.com/tutor-a...ng-easier/7465

ReputationRep:
    Here's a thread I made which would be beneficial to you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3925967

The AO's are the same. That's how you get your marks.

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about booking in some online tutoring sessions prior to your exams commencing?

ReputationRep:
    It has been ages since I did A-Level psychology, however I'm pretty sure I did AQA. I noticed you mentioned about memorising 150 studies. That really isn't necessary. Remember the core studies for each concept and a rough outcome, taking note of its limitations is also good if you have the time. A lot of people in my class made the mistake of focusing half their time trying to memorise every detail about every study and ended up not doing too well.

What kind of questions have you been doing? At university level we did have questions come up specifically to test our knowledge on a set of studies (e.g. Evaluate studies done in x field to further research in x), but even then you would only go into detail in a handful. Even in my dissertation I didn't come close to 150 references! At A-Level it seems preferable to not go into too much detail with studies, especially if the question at hand does not ask do so (e.g. evaluate x theory in regards to x disorder). I'm sorry if this information is a little dated as I did my A-Levels a good 5+ years ago and it may have been Edexcel not AQA. I would be interested in hearing a few questions you have attempted to better grasp where you may be falling short.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:

Hi there,I'm also doing AQA Psychology, but i'm doing AS and A2 at the same time. I know how overwhelming and difficult it all is... and although i'm predicted As, I can't help feeling like my brain can't retain it all..All of the model essays i've written are A-grade standard. I never learn studies into such detail, I never learn dates, and only remember key researcher names (2-3 per essay). The teachers told us to focus more on the findings and conclusions of the studies (in contrast to AS), and then evaluate and use IDAs accordingly. They stress more than anything relating the content back to the question (R2Qing), using words from the original question. We also talk about how the studies provide strength/weaknesses for the theory and how that either increases or decreases the validity/reliability of the theory in itself. It's all very repetitive but if that's what needs doing.. eh!I hope I can help in some way. Remember that life goes beyond A-levels anyway, and that there are ALWAYS ways to what you want to do in life!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 24, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.