Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I had a discussion with a roommate who is a UK resident and he mentioned overdrafts that banks provide to UK-native students. The sums vary but I got curious and found that you must have lived 3 years in UK to qualify for it.

    As a EU student, would I qualify for such a freebie if I have proof of address for 3 years, i.e. I finish year 3 at university and start 4th in September which is 3-year mark. Or is 3-year meant as "you lived in UK for 3 years but if you were student this whole time, then it does not count" and one can't apply for an overdraft?

    I am curious about that and bank conditions seem vague.

    It's entirely up to the bank, you'd have to apply and see what they say. I expect some might be dubious that having no permanent address here you might go back abroad after your degree and try to avoid repaying the money however.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.