Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If you could invent one thing to make uni life easier watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Probably a locker system.

I have to bring in so many textbooks per day and I hate having to carry them around all over campus. It would be great to have a locker, like in school, where I can drop off books throughout the day, and leave ones there that I dont need to bring home with me so that I don't end up breaking my back haha !
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Something to make cheap and healthy meals for me out of what I have in the fridge.
    I have all this healthy food I can make a nice healthy and tasty meal out of but no motivation to make the food itself or even the time! (So instead I am eating ready meal curries and cheese toasties...)

My main craving so far has been;

Salmon fillet
    A little rice
    Peppers mixed in the rice
    Peas
    Brocolli

And a little sauce on the side my dad makes out of tomato pure' and some other stuff...
    Goes absolutely amazingly...
    This is such a great idea! :borat:

Inspired by Scienceisgood post on here :teehee:

Maybe an app designed for students to be able to cook meals with the ingredients they have. :dontknow:
    They'd input all the ingredients they have and the time scale and quantities etc... Then it would tell you the endless possibilities you can make with just those ingredients. Keeping meal times exciting and varied!

Don't know if something like that already exists though. Oh well if it does. :innocent:

ReputationRep:
    A get out of Uni / get out of debt card - no strings attached!

ReputationRep:
    Something that would read things for me and highlight the important bits/bits I need for the assignment. I really HATE the reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)

Maybe an app designed for students to be able to cook meals with the ingredients they have. :dontknow:
    They'd input all the ingredients they have and the time scale and quantities etc... Then it would tell you the endless possibilities you can make with just those ingredients. Keeping meal times exciting and varied!

Don't know if something like that already exists though. Oh well if it does. :innocent:
    Finally managed to make what I intended to make out of sheer "I need to eat healthy or I be ****ed" will.

Photo of meal:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  WP_20160320_001.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  262.4 KB

Meal consists of

Haddock fillet
    Rice
    3 Sweet Peppers mixed in the rice
    Peas
    Brocolli

Honestly the healthiest meal I've eaten since September... -.-
    I also remember looking over a website which showed what you can make and how long it will take including what you have access to before even coming to uni (something my parents basically forced me to do) given I could barely boil water before coming to uni... =l
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

It exists! http://www.supercook.com/#/recipes
    Not sure if there is an app version available though, but it's a website at least

ReputationRep:
    photographic memory or the ability to write whatever the lecturer's saying with a wave of my hand (you know what that kid was doing in class in one of the x-men movies)

ReputationRep:
    The laptop. Oh wait...
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

I seem to remember that Yummly does this. So, if you have dietary needs, don't have access to a full cooker, have limited time, etc. you just put that into the website / app and it gives you ideas.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    An extra bank account that will pay for whatever I want as long as it's over £100. That way I would budget my normal account and go **** crazy on the extra account.

Life would be joyous, wouldn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Wait does a machine which prints money or a machine which can predict the lottery numbers with 100% accuracy count here too?!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)

Since it already exists by some companies, I would say a alarm clock that wakes me fully up out of bed since I tend to sleep through all my alarms.

^ I have x4 alarms 10 mins apart on phone, x3 alarms on laptop 10 mins apart(laptop stays on 24/7)
    + x1 digital clock alarm....
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Some say I'm a deep sleeper
    Have you tried vibrating alarms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Bed ejector instead of an alarm, preferably one that makes land face first on the floor
    You could just use a very loud alarm, and put it on the other side of the room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evalilyXOX)
    Probably a locker system.

I have to bring in so many textbooks per day and I hate having to carry them around all over campus. It would be great to have a locker, like in school, where I can drop off books throughout the day, and leave ones there that I dont need to bring home with me so that I don't end up breaking my back haha !
    To be honest, that could probably be arranged. I suggest you talk to somebody about it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    You could just use a very loud alarm, and put it on the other side of the room.
    I've got one where you can adjust the volume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Have you tried vibrating alarms?
    Yeah, I've tried them before & they still doesn't work for me.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    A device which detects the exact contents of Subway's Southwest sauce so I could've made it myself and not waste so many ingredients trying to crack it. :unimpressed:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.