Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So after 6 weeks of job search, the search is finally over and i accepted a job this week. All I am waiting for now is the all clear of my references and DBS check.

So i went to my job seekers appointment today, happy as larry I could tell my job coach they hopefully wouldn't be seeing me soon. I told them because I was working at a school, i wouldn't be able to start until after the Easter break and as my DBS is still going through - I also wouldn't be allowed!

I said once I got a final confirmation of my DBS/reference clearance, so I had the all clear to start work after Easter, would i sign off Universal credit (new JSA). The job coach said No - but not only this, I should still be looking for work despite any formal confirmation coming through.

I told her no one would take me on for only 2 weeks work, but she told me to apply anyway! So i asked her if i can sign off before i start. Which again is also a no, because I haven't actually started work and my claim will keep going until my first day of employment.

I feel a bit screwed here, when my DBS and references clear next week, surely my employer is going to want my full commitment to the job and will get annoyed if Im still actively seeking work. And I don't really like the idea of messing around employers by applying for jobs I know I wont be available to take in 2 weeks time!

How do I go about this? I don't want to get sanctioned as JSA currently covers my rent and bills so Im pretty screwed without it. Should I try and sign off earlier? Or just mess around other employers by applying for jobs I know i can't take?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcgreevy1993)
    So after 6 weeks of job search, the search is finally over and i accepted a job this week. All I am waiting for now is the all clear of my references and DBS check.

So i went to my job seekers appointment today, happy as larry I could tell my job coach they hopefully wouldn't be seeing me soon. I told them because I was working at a school, i wouldn't be able to start until after the Easter break and as my DBS is still going through - I also wouldn't be allowed!

I said once I got a final confirmation of my DBS/reference clearance, so I had the all clear to start work after Easter, would i sign off Universal credit (new JSA). The job coach said No - but not only this, I should still be looking for work despite any formal confirmation coming through.

I told her no one would take me on for only 2 weeks work, but she told me to apply anyway! So i asked her if i can sign off before i start. Which again is also a no, because I haven't actually started work and my claim will keep going until my first day of employment.

I feel a bit screwed here, when my DBS and references clear next week, surely my employer is going to want my full commitment to the job and will get annoyed if Im still actively seeking work. And I don't really like the idea of messing around employers by applying for jobs I know I wont be available to take in 2 weeks time!

How do I go about this? I don't want to get sanctioned as JSA currently covers my rent and bills so Im pretty screwed without it. Should I try and sign off earlier? Or just mess around other employers by applying for jobs I know i can't take?
    This seems like a ridiculous situation. If you don't desperately need the JSA for the two weeks, I would just sign off earlier. Could you say that for personal reasons, you won't be available to look for work for those two weeks, and then you're starting your new job?

Surely you can sign off for any reason, even if you don't have a job to go to, so she can't force you to keep signing on!

ReputationRep:

http://www.urban75.com/Action/Jsa/jsa2.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    This seems like a ridiculous situation. If you don't desperately need the JSA for the two weeks, I would just sign off earlier. Could you say that for personal reasons, you won't be available to look for work for those two weeks, and then you're starting your new job?

Surely you can sign off for any reason, even if you don't have a job to go to, so she can't force you to keep signing on!
    Apparently my Universal Credit claim stays just 'hibernated' whilst in work, so until I start working full hours and it shows up on the tax mans system, my 'claim' is still active and wide awake. They then adjust my payments accordingly according to the tax mans records of my wages and payments.

I've got a new job coach next week and I'm simply going to tell her I'm stopping my claim because I'm not putting some poor HR person through interviewing me for me just to say "ha jokes on you I'm working anyway!"

ReputationRep:

Your worrying too much..

So firstly you can simply make it look like you've applied for the next 2 weeks, they rarely check.

Second option which i'd do is simply apply for the jobs incase they check but don't agree to an interview, there's no way for your work coach to know you were invited to interview unless you tell them.

Also, if its housing element paying your rent then that's not actually affected by sanctions.

ReputationRep:
    aggre with Rakas, they did the same thing to me for a week when I got a job so I just wrote that I applied to things when I didn't actually do it. they wont check with the employer ever and theres nothing that gets sent to them confirming you've actually applied. I just used to write that I applied directly through the website or phoned up about a job. they even tried to induct me into a 4 week unpaid work experience placement (I would have been grateful for that usually) despite knowing I would start a new job within the next week!

ReputationRep:
    Surely you can sign off? They cant force you to claim benefits lol this is bs information, I signed off before starting my job..I actually signed off, quit the job after a week then just hanged around for two months broke as I didnt want to sign onto JSA as I hated it, then found another job.. Left that job 3 years later now in the field I want to be in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.