Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone have any good resources for the practicals in AS-level Biology? I'm doing Edexcel's new syllabus (Salters Nuffield). Please someone help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Hey, does anyone have any good resources for the practicals in AS-level Biology? I'm doing Edexcel's new syllabus (Salters Nuffield). Please someone help
    :wavey:

I'm an A2 Edexcel Bio student, so previous spec (but it's very, very similar!).

Is there a particular practical you're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    :wavey:

I'm an A2 Edexcel Bio student, so previous spec (but it's very, very similar!).

Is there a particular practical you're looking for?
    Well, I'm self-teaching AS-level Biology so haven't covered any of the practicals. But I've been watching videos on YouTube and been trying to make notes but still have major gaps in my knowledge about all of the practicals

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm self-teaching AS-level Biology so haven't covered any of the practicals. But I've been watching videos on YouTube and been trying to make notes but still have major gaps in my knowledge about all of the practicals
    I'll see if I can find any videos tomorrow (I know we were given links but I'm not sure if it was on YouTube or a college website thing).

Also, re your other thread on questions, search through past papers. I did make a list on last year's exam discussion thread of which practicals came up which year... Again, I'll find it tomorrow (not easy on my phone!).

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    I'll see if I can find any videos tomorrow (I know we were given links but I'm not sure if it was on YouTube or a college website thing).

Also, re your other thread on questions, search through past papers. I did make a list on last year's exam discussion thread of which practicals came up which year... Again, I'll find it tomorrow (not easy on my phone!).

Hope this helps.
    Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how much I appreciate you doing this!! Just wish I had a better way of thanking you!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!!! You have no idea how much I appreciate you doing this!! Just wish I had a better way of thanking you!
    Unfortunately all the videos are on my College's moodle thingy, so I can't send you links :nah:

Here's a link to the post I made about previous exam questions on core practicals...
    Unit 1: *click me*
    Unit 2: *click me*

Hope this helps :fluffy: If you need any more help let me know.

Here's a pdf with tonnes of info about them on...
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf As_Bio_Core_Practicals.pdf (357.7 KB, 9377 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Unfortunately all the videos are on my College's moodle thingy, so I can't send you links :nah:

Here's a link to the post I made about previous exam questions on core practicals...

Omg, you're actually amazing!!! You have no idea!! Wish there were more people out there like you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)

Silly question, But can you remember what practicals came up for your exams in 2015?

ReputationRep:
    Omg, you're actually amazing!!! You have no idea!! Wish there were more people out there like you!
    :blush:

Silly question, But can you remember what practicals came up for your exams in 2015?
    Ermmmm... seems far too long ago :moon:
    I'm afraid I can't :lol:

They'll be on that thread though - just search through it :yep: If you use the search bar at the top you'll probably be able to find it quickly. People discussed the exam(s) on that thread.

Alternatively - Feraligatr, my brain is mushy... can you remember?

ReputationRep:
    Your textbook should have at least some of the practicals...

The practicals are all similar, no matter what exam board you have. The only difference will be wording. The following practicals are for the AS and there is practical endorsement for AS Biology. The endorsement is for the whole of A-level Biology, and you need to get it sorted out with a school soon because if you do both years and have no endorsement you get a U for both years!

1. Investigation into the effect of a named variable on the rate of an enzyme-controlled reaction
    2. Preparation of stained squashes of cells from plant root tips; set-up and use of an optical microscope to identify the stages of mitosisin these stained squashes and calculation of a mitotic index
    3. Production of a dilution series of a solute to produce a calibration curve with which to identify the water potential of plant tissue
    4. Investigation into the effect of a named variable on the permeability of cell-surface membranes
    5. Dissection of animal or plant gas exchange or mass transport system or of organ within such a system
    6. Use of aseptic techniques to investigate the effect of antimicrobial substances on microbial growth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)

They'll be on that thread though - just search through it :yep: If you use the search bar at the top you'll probably be able to find it quickly. People discussed the exam(s) on that thread.

Hey reallyyyy off topic! But I was wondering if you're doing a group chat for the A2 edexcel biology this year?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SohaXO)
    Hey reallyyyy off topic! But I was wondering if you're doing a group chat for the A2 edexcel biology this year?!
    Yep! I'll be starting it over the Easter Holiday :fluffy:
    I'll start recruiting members soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neuth)
    Yep! I'll be starting it over the Easter Holiday :fluffy:
    I'll start recruiting members soon

Omgggg thats brilliant! Please do let me know as I would love to be a part of it!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Neuth)

I'm pretty sure Daphnia for Unit 1 popped up but I can't remember Unit 2 though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feraligatr)
    I'm pretty sure Daphnia for Unit 1 popped up but I can't remember Unit 2 though
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who blocked out last year's exams
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Neuth)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who blocked out last year's exams
    Tbh, I've forgotten nearly everything last year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.