Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know a lot of people in my school who are allowed extra time in exams for minor reasons such as they write too slow. I was wondering if I would be able to get extra time in exams as I was recently diagnosed with a autoimmune disease. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logic4Life)
    Hi, I know a lot of people in my school who are allowed extra time in exams for minor reasons such as they write too slow. I was wondering if I would be able to get extra time in exams as I was recently diagnosed with a autoimmune disease. What do you guys think?
    No. Extra time is only given if the student concerned cannot complete the examination in the time allowed. I have dyspraxia. I physically cannot write fast enough to complete my exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

if it's coeliac disease i imagine you might be able to get extra time

ReputationRep:
    Depends what illness it is and how it affects you when doing exams. Talk to a doctor or someone at your college about it.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why extra time exists is to help those who are at a disadvantage
    an equal opportunity when performing in exams. If you are diagnosed and notice
    it affecting your exam timing significantly I.e unable to complete papers consistently by a large chunk + carries through onto your classwork then take it forward to your counselor/careers advisor at your 6th form/college.

Don't take advantages or try and abuse the system.

ReputationRep:
    Ask a teacher a your school, who can probably get you in touch with someone who can help. Usually you'll have to complete some tests before getting more time.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You would need a note from your GP and then the school would have to have it explained to them how it affected your studies and exam performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    The reason why extra time exists is to help those who are at a disadvantage
    an equal opportunity when performing in exams. If you are diagnosed and notice
    it affecting your exam timing significantly I.e unable to complete papers consistently by a large chunk + carries through onto your classwork then take it forward to your counselor/careers advisor at your 6th form/college.

Don't take advantages or try and abuse the system.
    I'm not trying to abuse anything. I genuinely cant finish exams on time so I was just wondering.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not trying to abuse anything. I genuinely cant finish exams on time so I was just wondering.
    Okay sorry if I thought you were.

Best advice, go to your college/6th form counselor and ask them for a diagnosis
    test for extra time and they will assess if you qualify for it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Depends how it affects you. You could be intitled to a quieter room, rest breaks (short breaks in the middle of the exam), extra time, scribe, reader etc. But it all depends on what you need.

Example:
    I had anxiety so I got a quieter room or to sit at the back of the hall and was allowed to take breaks if i needed. That's because I could be distracted easily and made stressed by the busy room and could find myself overwhealmed at times. (I was also on medication that gave me a sensitive bladder so I could leave to pee if i needed to).
    Later it was found I had dyslexia and ADD which made me write slowly (= extra time and scribe), meant I could missinturpret questions easily or have difficulty reading them (= reader), had poor spelling and grammar (= I was not marked by spelling or grammar). I could have also had a prompt sheet which I could write to help jog my memory as it's not good, but I never used it.

Talk to you school about it and see if there is anything you could need/ get help with. If you have difficulty finishing or reaching your potential in exams and can relate it to a medical condition (you will need evidence from a doctor) then you could get allowances of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    You can, but only if the autoimmune disease affects your ability to complete the exam in time or to the normal standard. Speak to your school about it, there is no harm in asking.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Oh would you mind if I asked you about your autoimmune disease? I'm starting to think I may have one myself and i'm finding it difficult to get much info on it. I'm especially curious about the diagnostic procedure. I've been having blood test after blood test for years now and have even had exploratory surgery but so far no answers.

PM me or soething if you wouldn't mind. I'd be happy to tell you more about special circumstances for exams and things as well if you'd like (i've been through the process a few times now). No preassure though. Don't want to be rude.
    :lazy: here's cute hamster for your time

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.