The Student Room Group

Maths help please!

The amount of a certain substance at time t (measured in seconds) is given by N(0.850t), where N is some constant. How long (in seconds) does it take until only 5% of the starting amount remains?

Can anyone help me with this question please?
Reply 1
Original post by elef95
The amount of a certain substance at time t (measured in seconds) is given by N(0.850t), where N is some constant. How long (in seconds) does it take until only 5% of the starting amount remains?

Uh, surely the starting amount would be t=0N(0)=0t = 0 \Rightarrow N(0) = 0. Do you want to fix your question or post up a picture of it? (The latter would be very much welcome!)
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
Uh, surely the starting amount would be t=0N(0)=0t = 0 \Rightarrow N(0) = 0. Do you want to fix your question or post up a picture of it? (The latter would be very much welcome!)

Could this be a Q where the stuff is used up and so the initial condition may be that the amount is non zero.

Post the question and all will be clear.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nerak99
This is a Q where the stuff is used up and so the initial condition may be that the amount is non zero.

Yes, that was my point. :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken

Original post by nerak99
Could this be a Q where the stuff is used up and so the initial condition may be that the amount is non zero.

Thanks for the replies! That's the whole question.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Yes, that was my point. :tongue:

Do you have any idea how to answer this question?
Reply 6
Original post by elef95
Do you have any idea how to answer this question?

As it is written, the question doesn't make sense. :confused: Could you provide a picture? :smile:
Original post by elef95

The amount increases with time, so the only possible solution is at 0.
Reply 8
I attached the image. Why can't the amount decrease over time?

Original post by Zacken
As it is written, the question doesn't make sense. :confused: Could you provide a picture? :smile:

Original post by morgan8002
The amount increases with time, so the only possible solution is at 0.
Original post by elef95
I attached the image. Why can't the amount decrease over time?

The question is N(0.580t)N(0.580^t) not N(0.850t), as you said earlier.

Work out the initial amount. Then set the ratio of the amount at some later time to the initial amount to be 5%.
Reply 10
I'm sorry I wrote the question incorrectly! Do you know how to answer it now?

Original post by Zacken
Reply 11
Original post by elef95
I'm sorry I wrote the question incorrectly! Do you know how to answer it now?

Initial amount is when t=0t = 0 and the initial amount is then NN. When there is only 5% remaining, we want to solve:

5N100=N×0.58t0.58t=5100\displaystyle \frac{5N}{100} = N \times 0.58^t \Rightarrow 0.58^t = \frac{5}{100} then use logarithms to solve this, can you take it from here?

PS: Can you now see the importance of attaching a picture or link of the question? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
Initial amount is when t=0t = 0 and the initial amount is then NN. When there is only 5% remaining, we want to solve:

5N100=N×0.58t0.58t=5100\displaystyle \frac{5N}{100} = N \times 0.58^t \Rightarrow 0.58^t = \frac{5}{100} then use logarithms to solve this, can you take it from here?

PS: Can you now see the importance of attaching a picture or link of the question? :smile:

Thank you! I got the answer :smile: Yes I can. I'll remember that for next time :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by elef95
Thank you! I got the answer :smile: Yes I can. I'll remember that for next time :biggrin:

Awesome. :-)

Quick Reply

Latest