The Student Room Group

My life ...

Background, I do Maths/further maths, physics and chemistry (and epq) AS levels this means I am on the new linear specification for physics and chemistry.
I want to be an engineer (do a general engineering degree) and next year I want to do maths further maths and chemistry.
So my dilemma is this.
The new chemistry spec. I am finding really hard and my teachers have told me that I won't finish the whole course until 1 week before my exams. And as a perfectionist I feel that I won't do well enough in my chemistry exam as I would like. And if I spend lots of time revising for chemistry I might let my other maths and further maths grades slip (not doing physics until next year as part of linear spec.)

Now, do I do the chemistry exam and risk my maths and further maths grades, and have a poor chemistry mark on my ucas form...
OR
just focus on maths and further maths this year, and then next year so my 10 exams plus the 2 extra chemistry ones for AS which I will have perfected over the summer etc.

Please help...will unis not think I am a good enough applicant if I only have 3 GOOD and levels and epq?

I am so stressed about making this decision....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Chlo.Harr
Background, I do Maths/further maths, physics and chemistry (and epq) AS levels this means I am on the new linear specification for physics and chemistry.
I want to be an engineer (do a general engineering degree) and next year I want to do maths further maths and chemistry.
So my dilemma is this.
The new chemistry spec. I am finding really hard and my teachers have told me that I won't finish the whole course until 1 week before my exams. And as a perfectionist I feel that I won't do well enough in my chemistry exam as I would like. And if I spend lots of time revising for chemistry I might let my other maths and further maths grades slip (not doing physics until next year as part of linear spec.)

Now, do I do the chemistry exam and risk my maths and further maths grades, and have a poor chemistry mark on my ucas form...
OR
just focus on maths and further maths this year, and then next year so my 10 exams plus the 2 extra chemistry ones for AS which I will have perfected over the summer etc.

Please help...will unis not think I am a good enough applicant if I only have 3 GOOD and levels and epq?

I am so stressed about making this decision....

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to be able to manage your time. At university you will be expected to work on multiple assignments with close deadlines. Balance your workload such that you work on both chemistry and maths, do not give up and rely on doing well next year.
Reply 2
Yes...but due to having many teachers swapped around this year we are soooooo behind schedule and the stress is really getting to me, is it really worth it? Even typing this I feel scared.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

Three good A-levels are exactly what you need, with M&FM + Physics being ideal for Engineering. I'd recommend you focus on those 3.
Reply 4
So ignore chemistry altogether then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
So ignore chemistry altogether then?

I'd say yes, but I'm not you. You know your situation better than anyone. But you have highlighted serious concerns, and I'd note the fact that even "top" universities don't require 4 A-levels from applicants should help you make an informed decision.
It will certainly depend on the goals you have set for yourself. I empathize with you, believe me--I know exactly how unfair a lot of this feels. However, you will have to be responsible for your ambitions. There will be many more times in the future, especially when you become a professional, that it will feel like you're being pulled in all directions at once. The decision to drop chem really is up to you, and there are consequences for whatever decision you make. It really does depend on your own ambition. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending