The Student Room Group

3 AS can i still get into top unis ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Visitor message me. i.e: go on my profile and type something out in that box at the bottom of the page.

Okay. My post relates to the thread, so I'll just post it here.

EDIT: I've now updated the post I previously made; I'd appreciate if you could read it and give me some advice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
3 AS here and got offers from Cambridge, Warwick, UCL and Imperial for maths. More than possible.That's completely false - Cambridge, at least, I know doesn't care about your fourth A-Level if it isn't relevant to your course choice.

Hi, so do you think that I may as well take three AS levels instead of four because there'd be no point in taking an extra subject which I'm not very interested in or think I'd like (it would likely be Psychology), and it won't make the slightest difference?

In case you're wondering, here are my A-level choices:
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Computing (preferably) (which I wouldn't like to drop after AS level), but unless I end up being able to go to another sixth form which is further away (and so there are complications), my fourth choice would be Psychology (which I would drop after AS).

I want to study Computer Science at university.

Also, did you study / are you studying at Cambridge?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Kaiylar
Okay. My post relates to the thread, so I'll just post it here.

Ah, okay - in which case, go ahead.
Reply 43
Original post by Kaiylar
Hi, so do you think that I may as well take three AS levels instead of four because there'd be no point in taking an extra subject which I'm not very interested in or think I'd like (it would likely be Psychology), and it won't make the slightest difference?

Indeed, take a fourth AS only if you're interested in it. Not because you think it'll serve you well at applications stage - it won't. (with the obvious requisite that it's irrelevant to your course)

So you're set on taking four AS-Levels because the fourth one is an interest, yeah? Plus it's relevant to your course choice, so I'd say definitely take that fourth AS-Level and might help your application.

my fourth choice would be Psychology (which I would drop after AS).I want to study Computer Science at university.

If you're not interested in Psych, then don't take it. It won't be relevant and won't help you at all.

I have an offer to study mathematics at Cambridge this October.

tl;dr: if your fourth choice is computing take it, if not, take three AS-levels only.
Original post by Zacken
Indeed, take a fourth AS only if you're interested in it. Not because you think it'll serve you well at applications stage - it won't. (with the obvious requisite that it's irrelevant to your course)

So you're set on taking four AS-Levels because the fourth one is an interest, yeah? Plus it's relevant to your course choice, so I'd say definitely take that fourth AS-Level and might help your application.

If you're not interested in Psych, then don't take it. It won't be relevant and won't help you at all.

I have an offer to study mathematics at Cambridge this October.

tl;dr: if your fourth choice is computing take it, if not, take three AS-levels only.

Okay, thanks very much! My brother studied at Cambridge (graduated last year) yet he told me that I'd pretty much have to take 4 AS levels.
Original post by Kaiylar

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Computing (preferably) (which I wouldn't like to drop after AS level), but unless I end up being able to go to another sixth form which is further away (and so there are complications), my fourth choice would be Psychology (which I would drop after AS).

I want to study Computer Science at university.

that is literally the subjects im taking just without computing and i want to do comp sci too. you in year 11 ?
Original post by looktoyourright
that is literally the subjects im taking just without computing and i want to do comp sci too. you in year 11 ?

Yeah, I am. I'm scared about the exams. xD I need to revise but I'm so lazy that I'm just on TSR instead...

The ironic thing is that I think I'm going to fail / do very badly in my Computing GCSE exam because we've had no teaching except for some teaching in Year 10 (which was taught by an ICT teacher. In Year 11, we're spending the entire year doing both of our 20 hour controlled assessments (40 hours in total). I have so much to learn for Computing before the exams (from my revision guide). :/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kaiylar
Yeah, I am. I'm scared about the exams. xD I need to revise but I'm so lazy that I'm just on TSR instead...

The ironic thing is that I think I'm going to fail / do very badly in my Computing GCSE exam because we've had no teaching except for some teaching in Year 10 (which was taught by an ICT teacher. In Year 11, we're spending the entire year doing both of our 20 hour controlled assessments (40 hours in total). I have so much to learn for Computing before the exams (from my revision guide). :/

Good luck bro :smile: . Hope you make your mind up for your a-levels . If youre doing maths why dont you self teach some of the stuff over the summer would make life much easier for you : )
Good luck bro :smile: . Hope you make your mind up for your a-levels . If youre doing maths why dont you self teach some of the stuff over the summer would make life much easier for you : )

Thanks, you too. I might prepare for Maths A-level, but I think I'll be wanting to spend a lot of time learning to code in various languages during the summer holidays, as I'm very inexperienced in programming at the moment.
Original post by Kaiylar
Thanks, you too. I might prepare for Maths A-level, but I think I'll be wanting to spend a lot of time learning to code in various languages during the summer holidays, as I'm very inexperienced in programming at the moment.

me too a little but to be honest i heard tthat you dont need to know any as long as you know things about the subject so i think ill be fine :smile:
me too a little but to be honest i heard tthat you dont need to know any as long as you know things about the subject so i think ill be fine :smile:

Yeah, I think that's right (to an extent, of course), but I just want to learn more simply because of my own desire to.
Original post by Zacken
That sounds so stupid, do schools actually do this? :erm:

Clearly those schools don't actually understand that Russell Group is only a marketing concept, and that it doesn't actually mean 'better' or 'more clever'. And what an insult to the kids excluded from their 'RG Club' - talk about labelling half your 6th Form as failures before they have even taken an exam.
Reply 52
Original post by Zakiiiii
what about mechanical?

Obviously Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol are all probably the best. Bath, Southampton, Sheffield and Loughborough are also quite good. UCL's Mech Eng course and most their courses are very new. As far as I can recall people said that they don't give enough feedback and that the buildings they get taught in where old an horrible.
Original post by Zacken
Ah, okay - in which case, go ahead.

So overall my 3 AS dont matter and i can drop the 4th AS im doing ? Honestly i wont be able to get more than an E/D in it and its not worth the trouble ...
Reply 54
So overall my 3 AS dont matter and i can drop the 4th AS im doing ? Honestly i wont be able to get more than an E/D in it and its not worth the trouble ...

Yes. Your 3 AS's do matter. Your fourth irrelevant one does not.
Original post by Zacken
Yes. Your 3 AS's do matter. Your fourth irrelevant one does not.

The forth one is still pretty strong . its a science. I mean for a top uni is it better to see AAAD or AAA ?
Reply 56
The forth one is still pretty strong . its a science. I mean for a top uni is it better to see AAAD or AAA ?

AAA.

And ... no UK University asks for more than 3 A2s - and top grades in 3 will ALWAYS look better than mediocre grades in 4 or an obvious failure grade in a totally unnecessary 4th subject.
Original post by returnmigrant
And ... no UK University asks for more than 3 A2s - and top grades in 3 will ALWAYS look better than mediocre grades in 4 or an obvious failure grade in a totally unnecessary 4th subject.

yeah thanks a lot. i will drop my as

Quick Reply

Latest